Site coming up for sale

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by golly, Feb 25, 2016.

1. golly

golly Funster

Got an email this morning, this site is coming up for sale. We have stayed there a couple of times and it's in a good location. Would needed a bit of money spent on it, wish I was younger, I would have ap punt.
    Netherwood House for Sale
    [​IMG]
    Netherwood House for Sale
    After 49 years our lovely 'gem of a site' Netherwood has had to close. It has been a wonderful era and we've enjoyed welcoming you to our home

Quiet and rural, close to Chester & North Wales, with the Shropshire Union canal to walk into the City, it was the perfect spot!

Sadly we've had to take the hard decision to sell the house and grounds. As some of you had expressed an interest we wanted to drop you this note to let you know we plan to put the property on the market shortly. If you would like to know more please email:netherwood.chester@btinternet.com

2. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Just had a look at the site, very nice, just not in the right bit of the country for me.

That has to be £1.25M plus I would have thought.

3. Mel

Mel Funster

From there website

“After 49 years we regret to announce that Netherwood Touring Site has now closed.
    Thanks to all our visitors, and most especially our lovely regulars.
    Many happy memories”

4. Movinon

Movinon Funster

Nice location, but £20.50 to park on grass?

• Like Like x 1
  5. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

That would be the first job, put hard standing in for all pitches! :D

6. golly

golly Funster

If memory serves me well the pitches had gravel under the grass, facilities needed upgrading though.

7. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Be interesting to look at the accounts I bet its a lot of work for a poor return

• Like Like x 2
  8. big bertha

big bertha Funster

We had an email also, was thinking of using as a stop over this year. I liked the site and direct access to canal walk and Chester.

9. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

I like those old houses with high ceilings and big windows with low cill height.

10. FJmike

FJmike Funster

A local (to me) site owner said that the were seriously thinking of closing and just use the site for storage. They said it would be far less hassle and about the same income.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Man after my own heart, I tried to find them, but it would seem they aren't a limited company, so I couldn't get them! :-(

12. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Almost certainly. Do some basic maths.

Someone mentioned £20.50 per night and UK campsite says it had 15 pitches. It obviously won't be full up all the time.

Just as an example say 10 of the pitches are occupied 5 nights per week for 9 months of the year, which I think would probably be optimistic. That would give a revenue of just under £40k.

Take your running and maintenance costs out of that and pay Her Majesty's share and what you'd be left with would hardly be worth the bother even assuming you were doing everything yourself and not employing anyone.

• Like Like x 2
  13. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Indeed, I had also done that, however, looking with a glass half full approach, there are some very simple tweaks that would make a substantial return.
    I wonder if anyone else has looked at it that way. Look at the site, then look at the house, there are opportunities there, although they do need initial financial outlay.

14. NickNic

Yes, more than likely. You would need more than just the site though.

I'm not familiar with either the site or the house. If the site is in the right sort of location that would attract someone to run it for you in exchange for a pitch freeing you up to do something else that would help.

The house looks a fair size. If it could be adapted to take paying guests or maybe converted into a pub or restaurant without too many planning or financial issues that would also help.

It's all a question of whether the initial cost of the site plus the further outlay to make the changes would make it viable.

It would be a big punt for someone to take it as a going concern.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Yup @NickNic that is exactly what I was thinking, also, who owns that land immediately adjacent to it, that would double the touring site size.
    Convert the house to be living accommodation on the first floor, for the owners, bar and restaurant on the ground floor. There seems to be a large out building, which I assume currently houses the toilet facilities, extend and improve that. A small shop would be handy, all of these things would bring in lots of extra revenue, but also need outlay to implement.
    There are a few more things I would do if I had a spare million quid, but I don't so just casting a pipe dream at it. I will check my lottery numbers again next week :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Perhaps the house could become a carvery. Very popular these days

• Like Like x 1
  17. NickNic

It's going to need a big investment though.

Looking at the area on Rightmove the house and site is going to be well over £1million, probably near 1.5.

To do the things mentioned on this thread you're going to be looking at another £300-500,000 so you would need to be budgeting for £2million minimum, more if you want to buy the adjoining land to extend the touring site.

You wouldn't be getting that back very quickly so you would have to be in it for the long haul.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

The way I see it is anyone with £2000,000 to spend would hardly be buying a load of work with it. Then have to be at the beck and call of the general public, and to top it off, have them pitch up in your front garden. It would be too much of a temptation to set the dogs on the scoundrels. For this reason am out :LOL:.

• Like Like x 1
  19. big bertha

big bertha Funster

Seem to remember a few hotels and possibly a carvery quite near, daughter got up one morning at 7 to walk 5 minutes along canal for a full English breakfast.:)

20. NickNic

@DanielFord if you look on Google satellite view it looks to me like the land immediately to the left of where the touring pitches are is part of the site. If that's the case you could double the size of the touring site at minimal cost.