Site charges!!!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by chaser, Mar 11, 2014.

1. chaser

chaser Funster

Been out for long weekend, started off at Jim's site. £5 brilliant views , water and emptying if required, next night Britstop back end of a pub good enough for what we wanted but no emptying no view and cost us £30 in pub at night, next night on a horse farm in Tenby, ccc cs nice enough but rough yard and we could have had hookup , water and emptying but we didn't need any but was a reasonable £8 next night a ccc cs in Brecon far site , give them their due it had the lot new showers and toilets , hookup and water but again we didn't need any of them but still got charged for them £14, but then got to hay on Wye this morning and see we could have parked there all night for free, knew about this but had forgotten so could have saved the £14:Doh::Doh:. But my point is why couldn't we have more like Jim's site , simple site ,fair price instead of all this ripoff prices being charged for what you don't want, this farm last night was a real rough do , all we did was just park inside his gate, didn't have to pay to him as we could just have drove off but thought it's only right to go and offer him somthing as the actual farm was a fair way up the road, then he had £14 for nowt:Doh:

2. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I suppose it's what you could have had for the money, rather than what you needed.
    All these things have to be paid for and maintained, so you must expect to be charged accordingly. Water and emptying on Jim's site, hook up showers etc. on another.
    Just because you don't need/use the facilities shouldn't mean that a reduced fee should apply. Personally I would have used them out of principle if I had paid for them. :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 4
  3. chaser

chaser Funster

I couldn't use them for anything, got water on didn't need anymore, and never have used hookup nothing to use it with, could have emptyed I suppose but no need, only needed park which is free at hay or Britstops if you don't use the pub, if it wasn't for planners I would willingly let anyone park on my land for a fiver, think about it , what crop or animal would make a fiver a day on 25 sq meters.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Chaser, we had a similar weekend to you. On Friday we drove to a Brit stop pub car park outside Monmouth. Full of "youffs" drinking from cans and shouting to their mates in the flats by the carpark. Didn't fancy hours of that but it was 8 o'clock couldn't get an answer from any sites so moved off to a rural car park in a nearby forest. Kept awake til about 4 am by cars beeping their horns as they zoomed past.

Spent Saturday in hay on Wye. Big car park, lovely sunshine, nice mosey around. Decided to stay at Jim's on Saturday night, what a delight that was, peaceful, beautiful views and we had a great stay. Spent Sunday in Aberaeon.

We are now revising our options. Prior to the weekend we were reluctant to pay £20+ per night for a site whose facilities we don't use! now we are thinking what price a good nights sleep is worth.

May join either cc or ccc for the small sites. Just wish there were more places like Jim's everywhere.

• Like Like x 2
  5. chaser

chaser Funster

Well Jim will be pleased then , pity we didn't meet up, he said he only had 20 all year last year, can't believe it , it's fantastic, but the other sites we went on are ccc cs so don't think they are cheap, and we are in the low season and pensioners rates, so heaven knows what they charge in full season, roll on France with the aires, you get your tunnel fare back in the first week.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mousy

I can't believe that about Jim's place! We will definitely be using it again, it's only about an hour away from us. Shame we didn't meet up, maybe next time.. It's a lovely part of the world, would recommend the Sunday lunch at the harbour inn abereon. Sadly the sound of silence of the Welsh rugby defeat was deafening!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Jim only needs to be full every night for the next 150 years to start to see a return on all the work :Eeek:

• Like Like x 2
  8. TheDentons

TheDentons Funster

Where is Jim's site ?

9. Mousy

Red kite camping near Lampeter

10. chaser

chaser Funster

11. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Buy Jim's place if you think it is easy money. At a fiver a night he made £100 last year if he only had 20 units staying for one night.
    Some people want more than water and emptying and like their creature comforts more than others. Some, like yourself, may be a little more, how can I put this, careful with their money. :BigGrin:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  12. TheDentons

TheDentons Funster

Looks great but we do like a local pub !

13. chaser

chaser Funster

Didn't say he was making a fortune but there must be plenty like me who have land who could let it out , remember the fiver is above what you are already doing with the land so if you are running sheep on it the fiver is above what you are already making, and why would you want more than water and emptying, we have toilet and shower on board which I would think most mhs have so why do you want to use facilitys that hundreds have as well, it's not really being careful with money but if you have paid for a van with all the facility's you need why pay for them again:Doh:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

The CL/CS system provides cheap low facility sites in quiet locations. Ours is £7 a night but then we are close to the beaches and glorious countryside of Devon. 5 van sites are rarely fully booked and even then hardly an income by the time insurance and business rates are paid, of that £7 it costs me £2 to go and collect the money when someone books in. I tried an honour system, people just abused it and once they had the combination of the gate lock just kept letting themselves back in without paying, sad but there it is. The motor caravanners club who licence our site allow non members to use their sites and are the only club which does. All singing and dancing sites are great for caravans and the odd tenter but motorhomes are self sufficient. Managing a site takes a lot of time if you don't live there and is a tremendous tie. If people enjoy their stay it makes it all worthwhile. Red kite camping deserves more patronage than it gets that's for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  15. chaser

chaser Funster

PLUS, we are talking about one van here , if you have 5 a night on that's £150 a week which is not to be sniffed at:thumb:

16. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I think you overestimate how many people use a CL, I'd love to see £150 a week but its a pipe dream
    who do you think pays the rates, the insurance, and keeps the grass cut, pays for grass cutting equipment, fences etc. I think that maybe its easy to estimate a reasonable income but realistically it just does not happen. A CL is a way to meet new people, make new friends and break up a working day, but can also be intrusive on your life as a whole. People are a bigger tie than animals.
    Larger sites have larger overheads and staff wages to come out of the income. more facilities more capital investment so obviously have to charge more.

• Like Like x 3
  17. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I'm not disagreeing with you, just making an alternative point.
    If I had the land I would certainly want to rent it out to MHs and caravans and try to make it pay. In fact, I would love a go, but circumstance dictates otherwise (at the moment). The future is another thing.

We use our onboard facilities nearly all the time, especially at steam rallies, but it is nice to use someone else's hot water, toilet etc., especially when you have paid for them. Some posts in the past have been from people who never use their own shower etc., and like you, I can't see the point in having them if you don't want to use them.

Totally agree :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  18. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

That must have been the Brit Stop I thought about trying out a couple of weeks earlier...before I opted for another one nearby. Thanks for the warning :Eeek:

(I've also just noticed that those 2 locations are labelled the wrong way around in the new Brit Stop book, and one's in the wrong place.)

19. Sidney

Sidney Funster

£7.00, £10.00 or £14.00 that's still a significant saving over any CC or C&CC club site.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

A couple of observations.

Anyone with land can undertake the process for creating a certificated site if they wish, nothing to stop them. As has been pointed out, though, doing so to make a profit in cash terms could be difficult.

We use our own facilities (meets/THSs/rallies) on the majority of our trips these day and are much more comfortable doing so - but that depends on finding a place to stay convenient to a desired location. Last year we wanted to stay on the outskirts of Worcester. We had the choice of a CC CL (£12 a night I think) or The Ketch private site (£15 a night). The CL (not for the first time) did not return my call when I left a voice mail so we booked at The Ketch. EHU included whether we needed it or not (used it just for a kettle) and showers available which we didn't bother with. When we go back to Worcester, though, hopefully we can book The Ketch again. It is superbly located for what we want and (which I didn't realise beforehand) more convenient than the CL.

There is more to a site than just the monetary cost :Smile:

• Like Like x 3