Site and area expectations

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by missbusybusy, Jan 13, 2013.

1. missbusybusy

missbusybusy Read Only Funster

Hi All
    we have just returned from our very first christmas / new year trip in the south of Spain, :BigGrin:(now back at work :Sad:)
    what are your expectations and requirements when you reach your location (area) and the site for your holidays

I know every one is different but it would be nice to hear what different people expect

regards
    Carol

2. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

I would expect cleanliness, relatively quiet, and a nice location.

Craig

3. dj motormouth

dj motormouth Read Only Funster

For us hardstanding is a must, certainly at this time of the year.

The other thing that I would love to find, which would probably be on grass, is a pitch with a lovely view. Ideally overloking the sea. Lots of sites overlook the sea, but the pitches themselves do not.

Michael

4. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

We take them as they come. Variety is everything and one of the main attractions for this lifestyle.

Not knocking the two main clubs but would have given up decades ago if all sites were like them.
    We've camped on all sorts of sites from the all singing and dancing mega-sites to behind a barn on a windswept mountain, from a sandy beach to a busy town centre.
    They all have pluses and minuses but most of all there own character.

• Like Like x 6
  5. DesRes

DesRes Funster

A decent space between pitches and somewhere to dump the garbage.:Smile:
    The garbage thing may sound odd but we stayed on a UK site a few years ago and in the early evening I wandered all around this place with my full binbag looking for the garbage bins. Gave up in the end and asked the owner the next morning. "Don't provide that" was the reply but he helpfully gave me directions to the nearest council tip...:thumb:

6. busby

busby Funster

You wont find many grassy pitches on the Med coast of Spain. BUSBY.

7. missbusybusy

thanks for the comments, we are not sure if we expect to much or to little from a site It may sound strange but if you put all the good things together that you like would that make the perfect site !!

I suppose that you can always expect and want more !!

we like
    quiet
    decent size pitch
    the sun (if possible)
    Clean toilets, showers and washing up facilities
    EHU
    Competent staff
    Level ground
    Somewhere to walk and to cycle,
    Pub or resturant close by
    Bins !!

not bothered about
    On site activities
    Shops
    Swimming pools
    Tennis courts etc

• Like Like x 1
  8. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Bus stop at the Gate :thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  9. Parcverger

Parcverger Funster - Campsite Owner

Couldn't resist checking out Parc Verger against your checklist......

we like
    quiet : Yes!
    decent size pitch : Yes!
    the sun (if possible) : We’ll get on our knees…..
    Clean toilets, showers and washing up facilities : Yes!
    EHU : Yes, 16A
    Competent staff : Yes! (what else would you expect me to say?)
    No trees : sorry, we do have some little ones! (Some guests do like shade)
    Level ground : level hardstanding pitches – will that do?
    Somewhere to walk and to cycle : 100m to an old railway line with a tarmac surface
    Pub or resturant close by : Dino's ”Pizzas to die for” (per other Funsters) and other menus.
    Bins !! : No problem!

not bothered about
    On site activities : hardly any, though some guests have been known to organise the odd game of boules
    Shops : none of these (though we do stock wine & beer in case you run out):thumb:
    Swimming pools : OK, we confess to having a 6m circular one but you do not have to use it!:BigGrin:
    Tennis courts etc : Never!

You missed : Value for money 10% Funster discount - cheaper than ACSI's 16€ rate!

Is that good enough? Then when are you coming?:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Bob
    www.parcverger.com

• Like Like x 6
  10. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

My requirements re your list, I am easily pleased:Smile:

11. missbusybusy

Parcverger it looks good we just might make it to you this year :BigGrin:

all those views and only a few responses :Sad: I was hoping I would learn a few things :Blush:

12. JayDee

JayDee Funster

So were the folk that looked. :Laughing::Wink::Doh:

John

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Well there are a lot of us that don't use sites. A motorhome is self contained so things like toilets/showers, washing up area etc are throwbacks to camping days and not really necessary. Most are happy with a quiet level site, waste/rubbish disposal point, a decent phone and TV signal, both terrestrial and sat and maybe some wifi or a good 3g signal. Most CL's have all of these things and suit even more people. In addition most have excellent bird/wildlife watching, dog walking etc. we are all different and expect different things some cannot survive without hardstanding, EHU and a restaurant. Thanks goodness we are all different or our favourite places would always be full.:thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  14. sedge

sedge Funster

Well if I'm gonna pay to stay on a site , given that it's brill weather, the main reason would be a swimming pool. I like the beach, but not really keen on swimming in cold sea.

And of course having paid for it, I'm gonna use the facilties, that is to say the loos and the showers, and the bread delivery. Maybe the occasional drink by the pool, but not interested in bars or restaurants or bingo or water aerobics or playgrounds or doq walking areas or or or. If EHU is included we'll use it - ditto wifi occasionally, maybe. No telly. And if it isn't naturist and peaceful and beautiful, we wouldn't be on it anyway. Oh - boules pitch, occasionally.

But!! you can easily play boules on an aire. Mostly.

So there isn't much point is there? we may as well stay on the aire and walk to the naturist beach. And that's what we do a lot of the time. Or go into the hinterland, stay near a town/village we fancy the look of and want to explore or a nearby attraction - grottes, cathedral, castle ruins, museum, whatever it is - and go and have a look at them. We'll sometimes see a brocante along the way and spend the day at that place, that we've never heard of and hadn't intended to - everywhere has something to offer to amuse - if your eyes and brain are open to it !

• Like Like x 2
  15. missbusybusy

Great replies, Hubby loves nothing more than a nice quiet site with a good walk to a local bar, But also we have had some great days at various aires, and wild camped in very remote places I like a variety depending on what we are away for and where we are going

If you were full time what would you prefer a site to have ?

16. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Hi Jenny, we're keen naturists and enjoy exploring all the many different locations in France, usually staying designated campsites. However, would be very interested to learn about any aires you can recommend within easy walking distance of a naturist beach.

Thanks, Mike :thumb:

17. missbusybusy

'mikebeaches' we are definitely not in to naturist sites !!:Blush:

I think you need to start your own thread for that one :Smile:

18. lorger

lorger Funster

I think a lot depends on what you think you have booked and what vision you get from the website if they have one.

What makes a perfect site for us well that depends on what mood we are in :Rofl1: When we go to France we tend to use Aires and sites as we have a 15 year old and got to remember its her holiday also and sometimes when you go to these big sites it can be more relaxing as a parent as the kids tend to make friends so gives you time to sit back and watch her have fun.

There again our daughter loves some of the Aires we have visited and when you ask her what her favourite site is she mentions a couple of aires :Rofl1:

When it comes to the uk we tend to go for quiet sites near a pub just for the food though :Rofl1: and with transport in to town or city if we want to visit, one of our favourite little sites is one Ken (Muncie) told us about, lovely little cl easy walk to pub and loads of lovely walks for dog. We have used it now about 10 times as its only just over an hour away.

We do expect them to be clean though no matter if its a farmers field or a fancy site if they have facilities then they should be clean, as for Bob at Par Verger we visited him for the night on way to Sarlat and have to say the place was spotless and views stunning my only criticism is it rained the day we where there but Bob has promised to fix that next time :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  19. sedge

sedge Funster

Mikebeaches, I will PM you.

Shame really cos the one in partic I'm thinking about also has excellent textile beaches and all sorts of other things the OP might really like, but that's her loss, not ours! Wouldn't want to upset anyone's delicate sensibilities would we?

:Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  20. Gunner29

Gunner29 Read Only Funster

Javea

If you want all of the above ( less for the naturist bit) come to Javea
    good size pitches, quiet but friendly and I incl the Germans. Cheap Wi Fi Boules and tennis, Christian group, good walks to the port, old town and beach at Arenal. we love it.:thumb: