Sister Site

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by madbluemad, Mar 8, 2012.

1. madbluemad

madbluemad

A lot of posts make reference to our sister site. What does that mean. I know its RVOC but whats it got to do with Motorhome Fun.

Whats the point in running two seperate web sites when one will do the job. Why would I need to hop over to RVOC to talk about my RV.

It doesnt make sense.

Jim
    :Smile:

2. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Jim it was started by Jim :BigGrin: too many Jims

3. madbluemad

madbluemad

It does can a bit confusing cant it. I think I'm a member of it but even so. Whats the point of it, especially if its being run by Jim.

There's nothing on there that you cant find on here.
    Jim
    :Laughing:

4. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

It just gives RVers somewhere to play that is specific to ALL RVs, Motorhomes, 5th Wheels, Travel trailers etc.

It's a separate site and can be joined without joining FUN, though many are members of both.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Ok.. sounds a reasonable question, but let me ask one back ( somewhat rhetorical but still )..
    I help run something called Bikers Oracle .. We have 62 subsections for different types of bike.. Should they all be lumped in to one ?

Whilst RV's come under the general umbrella of a house on wheels, they are completely different in all bar the basics to motorhomes, even the basics such as toilet issues are so different as to be virtually a subject on their own !

I for one am grateful that I can go to RVOC and get info on RV's or go to MHFun where I can get info about motorhomes

Yes, of course there are some cross over points but given the massive popularity of this forum I suspect the info would end up getting so watered down as to make it difficult to get info required without doing searches etc. Indeed, there may also be considerable confusion to those less knowledgeable about what is what and when a reply relates to an RV or motorhome..

Remember, a lot of folks are new to either genre .. for us, the 'old hands' it all falls in to place, but imagine a newcomer asking about toilet dumps, and spending the next few days looking for a pump and switch ( all the time crossing his legs and getting some lovely coutryfied smells from his rather full cassette !!

• Like Like x 8
  6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Simple really. Some prefer to be in an RV Only Club. If I had not formed that club they would have gone to one of the other RV clubs that exist and we may have lost them, forming the RVOC gave them the best of both worlds, strong links to Fun and their rallies but an RV only platform. That they have since gone on and now run their own rallies shows that small niche sites are popular. They are not sisters really, its just that I am the owner of both.

• Like Like x 2
  7. madbluemad

madbluemad

Yes, I think I'm a member of it but haven't been there for ages. My point is, where's the sense in it. You can be as specific as you like on this site. There's no obvious need for RVOC.
    Jim
    :Smile:

8. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Yes there is,RV info and expertise of shall we say a richer close handed nature
    It's main function is to give new RVers a place to find help and advise from a dedicated RV forum
    Believe it or not many American fans and RVers looking for advise glaze over at the very mention of a Eurobox after getting a bad reception from "Most" other motrorhoming forums
    RVOC is a dedicated site
    We even let Winniebagle owners join
    It is a different atmosphere a smaller group and equally as friendly as FUN
    Most are members of both
    Long live them Both:thumb:
    Geo

• Like Like x 15
  9. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

I gave you a like dispite the above:Angry::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 3
  10. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

But then there's no obvious need for MotorhomeFun as we could all use a general camping forum.

Along with cycle campers, bivvyers, snow-hole diggers, Provost owners, teardrop caravanners, twin axle caravanners, fulltimers, round-the-world tourers and occasional weekenders.

There are general forums for those who chat generally, and specific forums for those who chat specifically. :Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  11. madbluemad

madbluemad

Well, that's the best excu err reason thats been posted so I'll go with that. Geo's post I mean.
    Jim
    :BigGrin:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  12. madbluemad

madbluemad

Now don't be a silly billy.
    Jim
    :Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  13. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

Careful young Geo. Remember I lurk on this site as well as RVOC, don't think you can spit out your vile slander in safety over here. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  14. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Were Not Sisters:Eeek:
    You means were illigitamate:Eek!::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::Doh:

• Like Like x 3
  15. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Being a Winnebago owner

Being a Winnebago owner...... and proud of it.. If you were on RVOC you would see the insults us poor Winnebago owners have to endure.. I am on both sites under the same name.. just checked I have over 3600 posts on RVOC and 3100 on MHF.. so I post on both. I must admit RVOC is great if you want mainly technical or RV related, although these days a lot of jokes seem to be taking over the site. I like MHF for the varied areas it covers.. while I do not mind the odd joke, I do not want every other post to be one. I like debate and I get that on MHF..plenty of it... I have friends on both sites that I meet up with at shows.. I tend to park up with other American RV's just due to some of the issues.. such as running the generator that powers a lot of equipment. But having said that I also park up with european motorhomes. While I have been to meets of just RV's I still prefer the mix of the various european and American RV's that we get at many of the shows, like Peterborough, Newbury and Malvern.

If I need information on an issue on my RV I can ask others that own RV's... if I want to just talk other issues then MHF meets my needs. It costs me £15 a year to belong to both sites. But while there are American heading in MHF sand I do post under the headings, I mainly do the 'American' thing on RVOC... But these days it is the debate in the Ushaped lounge I really enjoy.. plus when people join MHF they tend to post, on RVOC you get a lot of ghosts that join but do not post... strange.. but I have the best of both worlds.

Bob

16. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

I thought RVOC was for RV owners who wanted to get away from the [STRIKE]VW fanclub[/STRIKE] buttons... :Wink:

• Like Like x 6
  17. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

Thats what I love about both these sites you can have a bloody good laugh and people don't take offence :thumb:

Thanks for the laugh

All the best Rick

• Like Like x 1
  18. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

watch-out Rick if Buttons see's your avatar you will set him off

Watch out Rick, if Button see's your avatar you will set him off on his anti RV posts, almost as bad as his shaggy dog tails.:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Bob

19. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I spend time reading and posting on both sites and have been to meets organised from either. Loads of info on both and in my opinion there is a specific need for both, a real asset :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  20. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

In all fairness I don't think I have ever seen an anti RV post from Buttons or any one else come to that.

All the best Rick