Sink/drainer cover shattered - Chinchilla Glass - YIKES!!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by KeithS, Dec 26, 2012.

1. KeithS

KeithS

Christmas day evening we were relaxing watching the TV in the van (Autosleeper Symbol) down here in Benidorm, when suddenly there was an almighty BANG and thousands of glass fragments ended up all over the place.

For a few seconds we couldn't quite get our heads around what had happened! Had we been the victim of a sniper attack! Turned out the glass cover that pulls down over the sink/drainer had spontaneously shattered. It took us about an hour to clear it all up and, of course, we're still finding bits and pieces around!

There was nothing much on the cover, no significant weight, just a cool electric kettle and a couple of cups. There was nothing hot near it and no-one was touching it at the time. We have had the van for 3+ years and no previous issues with the cover. There was a label on it saying how tough the glass was, apparently virtually unbreakable!

I was wondering if anyone else has any experience of this? Are these covers easy to get hold of as far as replacement is concerned?

Thanks

Keith

2. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Try C A K Tanks, I think they flog 'em.

Getting dangerous being a M/Homer, Hymers with exploding headlights, now Autosleepers:Sad:

• Like Like x 3
  3. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

Hi
    Sorry to hear of the problem. I have heard of one of these covers shattering on a Timberland, but that was when the Gas had been left on with the cover closed.:RollEyes:
    I have found Autosleepers very good for parts at reasonable prices, otherwise I would suggest trying http://www.caktanks.co.uk/

Mike

4. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

That happened to us while we were driving, the side panel of the cooker just disintegrated we assumed it was a bumpy road although it wasn't, just had to live with it, bit different from the whole cooker top though. very stange to just spontaneously smash though :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  5. aba

aba

normally toughened glass only breaks if it is twisted, under stress or from excessive heat or cold in a localised place.
    if there was something hard under the edge of it like a grain of rice then an amount of weight somewhere then it may smash but unlikely.

are all the supporting stoppers present?? if one is missing it can put enough twist on it for the sun through the window to cause a hot spot and over stress it as it cools.

6. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Olearys motorhomes sell them. :thumb:

A quick google search will get you there number.

Never heard of exploding tops before. :RollEyes:

7. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

have known of more than one go before. a possible cause is stiff hinges that dont open or close fully

replacement is a simple task of undoing and replacing a few screws