Single hardstanding bolthole - possible or not? (1 Viewer)

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
That is not true, here we have 3 phase lines, and some houses are on one and others on others in fact if we sometimes have a breakdown on one phase alternate houses are still on while others are off!

Our house is 3 phase and sometimes when there is a power failure one part can be on and another off :rolleyes:

Andrew

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
There's lots of moorings available ,however restrictions can apply and you still need certificates and licences.
I was thinking more along the lines of building a largish floating home on my own land and answering only to mrs Vlad ,possible or not?

Vlad
To start with you would need permission to build a lake and possibly a water extraction licence to fill it. Any structure i.e. a pontoon would need planning permission. Everything in this country is tied up so that you have to think twice about breathing. There are laws governing houseboats as well was going to say its a minefield.
For any type of off beat, unusual living and occupation of land research "Chapter 7", in Somerset I think, they produce a large details guide with many ideas and case histories, planning precedence etc. I have a copy someplace and used to use it a lot.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Another option I have considered is fitting a minaret on the roof and telling the planners I'm Muslim and I need to pray in the shed five times a day.
Now if you prayed a bit more often you might get planning permission:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
To start with you would need permission to build a lake and possibly a water extraction licence to fill it.

There was a case where someone wanted to build a marina - rejected. The land owner then applied to extract gravel on the land - granted

The land was right next to the river.

After the gravel was extracted the resulting 'hole' was big enough, coincidentally the right shape for a marina and had already filled up (naturally) with water..............

Permission for a marina was then granted

:)(y)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
How would you keep others off your land? A hard standing or similar would be great to park a caravan for a few weeks while the transit is used to collect waste that can be dumped on the rest of your site. The occupants can then claim all sorts of human rights as you try and evict them and you'll be the one picking up the bill.

I like the idea of the bolt hole (having been day dreaming for a similar plot for years) but am concluding that using a CL or similar on a regular basis would be cheaper and less stressful.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Would i be correct in saying if a building is made of wood and only has 3 sides it doesn't come under planning and is a tempory structure

Mind you i may have dreamt it :)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Just looked at some of the woodland sites - if only I had sufficient funds to buy a wood in the Lake District, I could really enjoy a few days away in my private little domain.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just looked at some of the woodland sites - if only I had sufficient funds to buy a wood in the Lake District, I could really enjoy a few days away in my private little domain.

possibly with half a dozen wild campers.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Rubbish at geography but, on the way to Shell Island coming from North West, about fifteen minutes drive away, on the left hand side a woodland was for sale.... I thought that would be a lovely place for anyone wanting a bolthole. Ambilkate may be able to give a better idea of the village it is near.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi JJ, Roughly how much for say one third to half acre of land which is accessible by road and where motorhome could stay for several months at a time, please?

My offer was really a bit of banter Joy, but there are lots of places for sale all over the place here in Portugal.

Funsters Ant and Debs bought a small bit of land together with a barn with planning permission a little while back.

Check out www.Boschrealestate.co.uk who were the people I bought from.

JJ :cool:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Wow, thanks JJ... That is a brilliant site... May I ask before I start going any further, when they state a price (not knowing how house sales go in Portugal) Do we have to add another percentage on purchasing .. as in many countries. . . . or is it the same as in this country? I know this is a basic question and I will need to look into it fully; just don't want to get too excited too soon. The top property NEW looks perfect for what I was thinking of.

MAZ I APOLOGISE FOR TAKING OVER.. MAYBE I SHOULD HAVE PUT THIS AS PM, BUT THOUGHT YOU MAY BE INTERESTED TOO. x

Reactions: maz
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Wow, thanks JJ... That is a brilliant site... May I ask before I start going any further, when they state a price (not knowing how house sales go in Portugal) Do we have to add another percentage on purchasing .. as in many countries. . . . or is it the same as in this country? I know this is a basic question and I will need to look into it fully; just don't want to get too excited too soon. The top property NEW looks perfect for what I was thinking of.

MAZ I APOLOGISE FOR TAKING OVER.. MAYBE I SHOULD HAVE PUT THIS AS PM, BUT THOUGHT YOU MAY BE INTERESTED TOO. x
I have been looking in France for a couple of years plenty pieces of land for very little money, but then think about with aires why bother you can park up anywhere anyway and when you are fed up of one place , you can move on to another, no bother

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The price quoted is rarely the price paid!

I really can't help much with the nuts and bolts of the actual purchasing process as I didn't do this myself.

Should any Funster want/need help in looking at/purchasing property in Central Portugal I have friends who might be able to help you and would be independent of the "agents".

Just remember the rule...

"Bring Pies".

JJ :cool:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I have been looking in France for a couple of years plenty pieces of land for very little money, but then think about with aires why bother you can park up anywhere anyway and when you are fed up of one place , you can move on to another, no bother

And rules in France are not that easy to cope with either!

You need a shelter built so that no one can see you have a caravan or a motorhome from the sky. No more than 3 months in a garden (I am lucky I know the police here... so they know about my caravan being in my garden for years now BUT they don't say a word. One did try , but his fellow mate said .... what are you talking about? what caravan? where? I don't see anything, do you? .... Big laugh and his mate said ... OK Got it ... I'm blind when I come here! LOL !!!)

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Interesting thread this. We are at the daydreaming stage of buying two or three acres of woodland for up to about £30k, which is what they cost around here. Electricity will be a non-starter but we can live with that, back to nature and all that. Plumbed water would be nice but for short stays we could cope. One place we are going to view has a stream so providing it doesn't dry up in summer that would do, assuming it doesn't have too many dead sheep in it.

Sounds lovely - let us know how the viewing goes. :Smile:

The thing I'm struggling with is the best way to deal with black waste. Quite a few options, but which is best?

Would a composting toilet maybe be the way to go? (Terrible pun - apologies). ::bigsmile: http://www.eco-toilets.co.uk/eco-toilet-info/

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
If you full time now , where do you park now, if it's not a personal question

I'm on the move all the time - don't have a base as such. I use CLs, THSs, Club sites in winter and do a bit of wild camping from time to time.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'm on the move all the time - don't have a base as such. I use CLs, THSs, Club sites in winter and do a bit of wild camping from time to time.
So don't see any problem with a bit of land of your own,if anyone complains move off for a bit then go back.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
My recent closing discussion with the Enforcement Officer was that I was in negotiation to sell the land to travellers, but if you're interested Maz get in touch.

Thanks for that, Ken. I'm only at the vague 'toying' stage at the moment - just seeing what I might or might not be able to do. :Smile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks for that, Ken. I'm only at the vague 'toying' stage at the moment - just seeing what I might or might not be able to do. :Smile:
If you are into wild camping , what's the difference if you do it on your own land!
I realise you have a way to go, but I can't see a problem if you go about it sensibly, just mingle with the locals and don't get anyone's backup , you will be fine(y)

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

No need to apologise at all, Joy. I like a bit of lateral thinking. :wink:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
How would you keep others off your land? A hard standing or similar would be great to park a caravan for a few weeks while the transit is used to collect waste that can be dumped on the rest of your site. The occupants can then claim all sorts of human rights as you try and evict them and you'll be the one picking up the bill.
An aquaintance had a small plot behind his place out in the sticks. Only one entrance & Itinerants moved in whilst he was at work. Came home poured gallons of petrol in a ring around them leaving gateway clear. Told them all gone in 5 minutes or I'll light it. They went.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Maz, I was thinking about similar things over the last few years. I came to the conclusion that my own land would only be possible in another country. The next best option in this country is to buy a pitch on a holiday park. £6-£10,000 for a static caravan and £2,200 per year for ground rent etc. Would also provide some storage area and some allow it to be used as a postal address. I was looking to use one for 3-6 months a year on and off as an occasional bolt hole and some storage space etc. I decided against it in the end as for the last 3 years I have spent less than 2000 per year on site fees for CL's.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
An aquaintance had a small plot behind his place out in the sticks. Only one entrance & Itinerants moved in whilst he was at work. Came home poured gallons of petrol in a ring around them leaving gateway clear. Told them all gone in 5 minutes or I'll light it. They went.
That would be easier if the OP was close enough find out about their arrival and deal with it before they trashed the place.

Reactions: maz

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We built our own property in 2008 and as I recall the electricity connection cost was £1,500 from the road to the building I think there was a limit of 50 meters from the road, they will give you a written quote on request. However if you added the gas water and sewerage the total was around £5,000

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Maz, I was thinking about similar things over the last few years. I came to the conclusion that my own land would only be possible in another country. The next best option in this country is to buy a pitch on a holiday park. £6-£10,000 for a static caravan and £2,200 per year for ground rent etc. Would also provide some storage area and some allow it to be used as a postal address. I was looking to use one for 3-6 months a year on and off as an occasional bolt hole and some storage space etc. I decided against it in the end as for the last 3 years I have spent less than 2000 per year on site fees for CL's.
Thanks for that, Karl. Yes, one of the reasons behind the 'bolthole' idea was to have some sort of postal address there too. Don't know how that would work out though either.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back