Single hardstanding bolthole - possible or not? (1 Viewer)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Hoping to keep away from the 'agricultural' element as would need someone to look after the livestock when I'm not there. Suppose I could always tow a chicken coop behind the van ........ ::bigsmile:
Why!! You buy 6 chickens when you wish to move on, neck them, eat them, job done,full belly for the journey ahead.

Following year repeat. Outgoings Buy/Eat, Nil : enjoy.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Most farms and homes can have a caravan in the garden. If it's used as an extra room to the main building then its allowed, but if its used exclusively then you get planning issues.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My opinion only! I would look for an acre or two, away from houses and tourist areas, if it has a water trough all the better, a small shed even better, with good big hedges, probably about £20 to£30 thou, don't put a hard standing but some of the plastic stuff that grows into the grass to park on, don't do anything that isn't being done at the time, and get in touch with the farmer next door to see if he wants to rent your land in return for looking after yours, and if you havnt got water he might fix you up with that as well, just do it and don't worry , who can stop you parking on your own land, just because it happens to be a campervan
Is neither here or there, and as long as you don't pay over the odds you can always sell again, hopefully at a profit cause they aren't making it anymore.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Oooops the couple of sheep on the land also goes out of the window, besides not wanting to look after them on a continual basis--------the place must have a " Holding Number" to legally keep any cloven hoofed animals even as pets

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
nope musical motorhomes would not work. Noting Jims post then of course raises another problem. That of actually getting a licence. If the issuing authority know what is going on then their licence is at risk so I assume a CFL would be out of the question, where to next. Like most things of this nature discussing them on an open forum effectively puts a stop to them.

I would like to point out that I have every intention of keeping within the law/rules/whatever. Staying for up to the maximum 28 days at a time and then moving on is not a problem for me. I do not want to live permanently in one place and bend the rules to do so. I genuinely fulltime and have done so for well over 3 years. I am just toying with the idea of some form of bolthole that I can use from time to time.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
wasn't there a scheme that flopped I think? some years back where you could buy a plot on a campsite..I think it was in France

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Many have done just what you want to do and we would love to do it, the secret is to make sure no one complains to the local authorities, not so easy now in moaning Blighty

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
good luck with your quest aires in France could provide what you need at no expence or legal problems. Failing that you could pay for a lot of CL nights with what it would cost for a plot of land. As said if you keep a low profile you might get away with it, the planners don't go looking for work but do act if people make a report. There are a number of community parkups around the country, lots of places to hide away in woods etc but no water, and solar no good in that situation. A water bowser could do it I suppose.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Interesting thread this. We are at the daydreaming stage of buying two or three acres of woodland for up to about £30k, which is what they cost around here. Electricity will be a non-starter but we can live with that, back to nature and all that. Plumbed water would be nice but for short stays we could cope. One place we are going to view has a stream so providing it doesn't dry up in summer that would do, assuming it doesn't have too many dead sheep in it.

The thing I'm struggling with is the best way to deal with black waste. Quite a few options, but which is best?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I would like to point out that I have every intention of keeping within the law/rules/whatever. Staying for up to the maximum 28 days at a time and then moving on is not a problem for me. I do not want to live permanently in one place and bend the rules to do so. I genuinely fulltime and have done so for well over 3 years. I am just toying with the idea of some form of bolthole that I can use from time to time.
If you full time now , where do you park now, if it's not a personal question

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Interesting thread this. We are at the daydreaming stage of buying two or three acres of woodland for up to about £30k, which is what they cost around here. Electricity will be a non-starter but we can live with that, back to nature and all that. Plumbed water would be nice but for short stays we could cope. One place we are going to view has a stream so providing it doesn't dry up in summer that would do, assuming it doesn't have too many dead sheep in it.

The thing I'm struggling with is the best way to deal with black waste. Quite a few options, but which is best?
Just dig a hole , when it's full dig another, simples

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Oooops the couple of sheep on the land also goes out of the window, besides not wanting to look after them on a continual basis--------the place must have a " Holding Number" to legally keep any cloven hoofed animals even as pets
Getting a holding number is no problem , you can get one for a pot bellied pig in a flat!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

If you read the info on those woodland sites it says most people dig themselves an 'earth closet'. A few I was looking at in Devon yesterday had streams/rivers with fishing rights which could even give a useful income.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Earth closet is certainly an option and the preferred one if possible but the depth of the water table must be a factor if it is a flat site with a stream. The medium tech option would be to sink a plastic tank and get it sucked out once a year. More elaborate options would involve an overflow from the tank into a length of perforated pipe.
Or perhaps we just dump in the wood and have a tame pig to clean up!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
One way to check how nosy the neighbours are is to put signs in the windows "Survey in Progress" and to wear hi-vis when leaving the van.

See how many people ask what you are surveying (it's secret of course that you are surveying how nosy the neighbours are)!!!!!

I think you could get a week or two at least.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Can we be your first visitors please Maz will bring the M&S Cheese scones :)

Reactions: maz

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I've always wondered could you buy a bit of land with a lake on it then get a houseboat ?
You could fish off your veranda whilst looking at your pride and joy parked on your land , possible or not?

Vlad

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
someone on here had a small plot of land with river frontage and mooring rights for sale.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
There's lots of moorings available ,however restrictions can apply and you still need certificates and licences.
I was thinking more along the lines of building a largish floating home on my own land and answering only to mrs Vlad ,possible or not?

Vlad

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
There's lots of moorings available ,however restrictions can apply and you still need certificates and licences.
I was thinking more along the lines of building a largish floating home on my own land and answering only to mrs Vlad ,possible or not? Vlad

Well a boat is not a 'permanent structure' - the planners wouldn't have a clue what to do

:doh::doh:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
anything is possible, where you build and live is not the problem, environmental health and the planning dept are the problem whatever you do.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I have a piece of land (1000ft x80ft - 1/3 acre approx) for sale adjacent to the offside bank of the Trent & Mersey Canal with end of garden boat mooring permission from the Canal & River Trust. Its for sale as I no longer have a narrowboat. However, when I had the boat, I put a 12 x 8 ft shed up to house the ride on mower and did'nt realise I needed planning permission.

Next door had hens and applied for permission to build a barn to process eggs and store food etc. They got permission and in so doing brought my little shed to the attention of the planning authority who told me to take the shed down. I applied for retrospective permission which was refused, and then I appealed to the Planning Inspectorate who have dismissed my appeal. Suffice to say the buggers next door haven't had any hens for three years now but have permission in place to build a barn. I have filled in reams of forms and submitted photos and plans but I can't keep a mower under cover in a small shed.

My recent closing discussion with the Enforcement Officer was that I was in negotiation to sell the land to travellers, but if you're interested Maz get in touch. When the barn project next door commences, then water and electric will be only a few metres away. I have considered buying an old horse box in which to store the mower. Another option I have considered is fitting a minaret on the roof and telling the planners I'm Muslim and I need to pray in the shed five times a day.

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi JJ, Roughly how much for say one third to half acre of land which is accessible by road and where motorhome could stay for several months at a time, please?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back