Single hardstanding bolthole - possible or not?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by maz, Dec 2, 2014.

1. maz

maz Funster

Just toying with an idea and wondering whether it would be feasible/allowable .........

If I buy a small patch of land, would it be possible to install a hardstanding with water and (preferably) electric to be used by just my van from time to time? Would this require planning permission - or any other kind of permission? If I limited any one stay to 28 days, would this be an acceptable way of staying under the Council Tax radar? Anyone any thoughts?

2. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Don't think you'll get electricity to a piece of land unless there is a building on it

:(

• Like Like x 1
  3. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Our local community council used to have an electricity supply to a box where the Christmas Tree was every year. For a few reasons the tree isn't put there now but the cost of the supply was over £300 a year from what I recall. That was before a unit of electric was used.

• Like Like x 1
  4. chaser

chaser Funster

No problem if you put some sort of shelter on it and keep a couple of sheep, no planing or any other permission needed, definitely for water, might be some sort of regs for electric.
    Just been done in our village piece of land about a third of an acre £7000 , bloke just lives in back of his van and is going to dig some ponds on it, no one said a word.

• Like Like x 1
  5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

As I understand it (please don't quote me) you can live on your land in a caravan / motorhome without planning permission for 28 days in any ONE year..

longer than this would require planning permission..

As for an electric supply , even if it were allowed, the cost would be prohibitive unless there was an electricity pole on your land.. even then, you would be talking in four figures for the instal of a step down transformer 440 - 230 v and supply to your consumer unit.

All you need to know is in the 1960 Caravan sites act

• Like Like x 3
  6. chaser

chaser Funster

Why would you need a transformer if the lines were going past, don't think you need botHer with caravan sites act either, as I said get a couple of sheep and if anything is said just say you are there to look after them, as long as there is only one on its just your transport, move it 6 foot every 21 days and it's in a new position , start again, no different than having it parked on your driveway.

7. movan

movan Funster Life Member

So pleased you asked this, Maz... I too had been thinking along these lines as it looks like it is the only way I can spend my time further South .. little bit scared though because of selling my home and security. Will watch this thread with real interest. :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

There is an initial charge for an electric connection even with the lines running past. It was over £4K here and that was 12 years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Because the overhead supply will be 3phase

10. maz

maz Funster

Hoping to keep away from the 'agricultural' element as would need someone to look after the livestock when I'm not there. Suppose I could always tow a chicken coop behind the van ........ :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  11. chaser

chaser Funster

Yeah ok , I concede that one , did think that might be a stumbling block, but water wouldn't be a problem , better if you find a bit of ground that already has a cattle trough connected to the mains , not unfindable by any means.

• Like Like x 1
  12. chaser

chaser Funster

You just connect to one of them

• Like Like x 1
  13. chaser

chaser Funster

If you do , I'm afraid you are going to have problems with as been said caravan acts and stuff

14. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

That sums it up. Our quote for an electric supply was £7000 eight years ago. Plus I think you need planning permission for hardstandings. However a CFL licence and space for 5 vans would mean you could stay up to 28 days in any one period so could be doable. You would need water and a waste point.

• Like Like x 1
  15. maz

maz Funster

Thanks for that, Jim. I hadn't appreciated that I would be classed as a 'caravan site' for just one van and no commercial gain. Also, a max of 28 days in a year would probably make it impracticable. :crying:

Maybe I should go for being a Fun CL instead (on a completely do-it-yourself Funster basis) and save one pitch for my own van. :wink:

16. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

that would leave an unbalanced line so they insist on a transformer.

• Like Like x 1
  17. chaser

chaser Funster

I know you are only joking , but you are open to all sorts of things if you do this , I'd stick to one on your own, in a friendly neighbourhood, once you get councils involved in anything you are stuffed.

18. maz

maz Funster

Although electric would be nice it's not a necessity as I'd mainly be using the pitch in spring/summer/autumn and have solar and a generator. At £4K it's far from nice! :Eeek:

19. chaser

chaser Funster

That is not true, here we have 3 phase lines, and some houses are on one and others on others in fact if we sometimes have a breakdown on one phase alternate houses are still on while others are off!

20. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Any land with electricity or water is valuable and like any other property should go up in value

Adding electricity or water is likely to increase value more than the actual cost

(y)

• Like Like x 2