single female (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Autocruise impala
Exp
2 years
At the moment my planning is to stay in the UK in winter, I'm crazy enough to actually like winter. And the work I am after has to be paid, that is a reality of life, I'm not retired yet, the way things are going, I don't think I will ever be able to retire.
I do have a date, work here finishes on Dec 19th (although allowed to stay living here until the end of Jan). Wanted to get the van before Christmas to check out the winterised side (it works!) and to sort out all the little things that need sorting out on a second hand, getting there. Am taking it serious as I have bought this as other (more sensible?) people would buy a flat. But the more time I spend in it the happier I am about it. Taking off now every time I have my two days off together.
Take care and enjoy the adventure
Sophie
Hmm more sensible ..I remember that once ! There's one thing for sure a flat won't take you on amazing adventures ! I owned a MH for just over two years and loved it . I spent 4 months solid in it and found it was easy to adapt to , spent 3 weeks wild camping using pub car parks , getting fresh water from garages etc . Only problem I had was being careful inside the van as a lot of things are not as robustly made as they are in a normal home and me being quite cumbersome and clumsy ...well , you get the picture!
You will love every minute of it I'm sure and yes you will be nice and cosy in the winter ...one thing I would say is fit a solar panel and add an extra leisure battery if possible with a 240v invertor , you will be amazed how much power you get
Slightly jealous of you atm but patience is a virtue for me and one day soon I will be free to spread my wings again
Best wishes and here's to your new lifestyle
Keep posting as I will too
Paul

OP
OP
SGNV
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Hmm more sensible ..I remember that once ! There's one thing for sure a flat won't take you on amazing adventures ! I owned a MH for just over two years and loved it . I spent 4 months solid in it and found it was easy to adapt to , spent 3 weeks wild camping using pub car parks , getting fresh water from garages etc . Only problem I had was being careful inside the van as a lot of things are not as robustly made as they are in a normal home and me being quite cumbersome and clumsy ...well , you get the picture!
You will love every minute of it I'm sure and yes you will be nice and cosy in the winter ...one thing I would say is fit a solar panel and add an extra leisure battery if possible with a 240v invertor , you will be amazed how much power you get
Slightly jealous of you atm but patience is a virtue for me and one day soon I will be free to spread my wings again
Best wishes and here's to your new lifestyle
Keep posting as I will too
Paul

Hi Paul,

Well, the patient bit for me is to stick it out here until the end of the year, let's put it mildly, my heart is not in it anymore.

My thing is that with the van, if I don't like the neighbours, I just move, not so easy with a flat.

Think that for me CL/CS will be the way to go as the love of my life is painting outside and I do need time in an area to just walk around and discover what I want to have a go at, would need one to three weeks for that in the same place. Moving around all the time would not suit me and it is not so easy to get my table and paints out and work next to the van, have given it a try and it is one thing the CL/CS owner coming to have a nosey at what I'm doing, it is a different kettle of fish being in a public place. I must also take into account the single female bit, ended up with the kind of interested guy that I don't want.

I have a solar panel and gaslow. Not sure I'd need an extra leisure battery as I don't watch television, think I'd rather have the weight in watercolour paper, one has to set one's priorities!

Have just noticed you are read only. Must say that for me signing up to this one was a £15 very well spent, the amount of advice I have received and still receive has been enormous. It is up to you though, we all have to set our priorities.

Take care and don't keep those wings folded away for too long.
Sophie

Mar 21, 2017
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Autocruise impala
Exp
2 years
Hi Paul,

Well, the patient bit for me is to stick it out here until the end of the year, let's put it mildly, my heart is not in it anymore.

My thing is that with the van, if I don't like the neighbours, I just move, not so easy with a flat.

Think that for me CL/CS will be the way to go as the love of my life is painting outside and I do need time in an area to just walk around and discover what I want to have a go at, would need one to three weeks for that in the same place. Moving around all the time would not suit me and it is not so easy to get my table and paints out and work next to the van, have given it a try and it is one thing the CL/CS owner coming to have a nosey at what I'm doing, it is a different kettle of fish being in a public place. I must also take into account the single female bit, ended up with the kind of interested guy that I don't want.

I have a solar panel and gaslow. Not sure I'd need an extra leisure battery as I don't watch television, think I'd rather have the weight in watercolour paper, one has to set one's priorities!

Have just noticed you are read only. Must say that for me signing up to this one was a £15 very well spent, the amount of advice I have received and still receive has been enormous. It is up to you though, we all have to set our priorities.

Take care and don't keep those wings folded away for too long.
Sophie
Well that's me signed up then as I think you are right , the information I can get from here will be invaluable and I know these sites incur running costs so money well spent
I aim to do a lot of photography on my travels including aerial ,alas I am not very talented with a brush and paint .
No need for the extra battery if only charging phones and laptops etc but the invertor may come in use
Wouldn't worry about the single female bit as anyone viewing from the outside has no idea who is in there ...I never had any problems when I was a solo traveller , but yes privacy is what you pay for on a site
Enjoy your weekend ...wherever that may be
Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
SGNV
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Properly welcome then. I sure am very glad I made that small investment. Whatever question I've had there's been an answer. There are some very helpful people around, I'm very grateful for that.

I have absolutely no talent for painting, just love doing it.

I work weekends, get my days off during the week. And think that I am working 6 days next week so won't be going anywhere boohoohoo.

During the day with the blinds open people do see who is inside and I do get in and out of it, keen walker. Think the female experience may be different, believe me. Do you get vans hanging next to you on the motorway whilst the occupants are staring at you? Try getting out at a service station to fill up with diesel. The amount of comments I have had already about 'you really drive that????' are getting really boring. And then the clear disbelief 'you really are on your own????'. It most definitely is still not the accepted thing to do, but there's quite a few of us and we'll get accepted sometime.

Take care
Sophie

OP
OP
SGNV
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Understood.

But so easily solved.

Get a MAN. All your problems solved in a stroke. You know it makes sense.

Problem solved or problems multiplied with a factor of a trillion????? Experience tells me it is the last. Don't worry those blokes get the dragon stare, works miracles, praise yourself lucky you're hidden safely behind a screen.:*

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Welcom to Fun, dont buy an oldie as you wont be able to enter the LEZ with it, if you want advice and a good van, come and pay us a visit in due course.

Peter

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

TV thrives on it, doesn't it.

Have you noticed you can't have a Police drama without a body these days. In fact the more the merrier.

I need to watch The Pink Panther again. Or Thomas Crown 2, which I have watched recently.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Quality murders. I liked Morse and his young self is excellent with a top character as his boss.

Another good one is Montalbano and his young self. It really is a grand taste of Italy.

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
I'm thinking of suggesting to a friend that she takes up solo motor homing. She has a dog and remembering our first camper van (romahome pod on a rascal) I'd like to give her a shortlist of not too big / not too small vehicles. I'll suggest she has a budget of 20k for a second hand camper van. What do all you soloers use?

Marc

OP
OP
SGNV
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
I'm thinking of suggesting to a friend that she takes up solo motor homing. She has a dog and remembering our first camper van (romahome pod on a rascal) I'd like to give her a shortlist of not too big / not too small vehicles. I'll suggest she has a budget of 20k for a second hand camper van. What do all you soloers use?

Marc

Depends of course on how and why she'll use it, mine is for all year round so winterised, then I really liked the single beds, large garage, no need for a large lounging area. Think mine is fairly big already but then again, I will live in it from later on this year. I'd suggest looking at an as wide range as possible (keeping to the 3.5T should give you the smaller vehicles) and then look at lay-outs and work out from there what you like. At least that is what I did as a total newbie, I've had it just over 4 months now (only that long? Feels much longer already) and so far very happy. I use it just about every week when I have my 'weekend' off and use CL/CS's as it feels safer. I absolutely love it, wish I had got one much earlier.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I think a lot will depend how confident a driver your friend is and what size she would be comfortable with. I have settled on a PVC which I love - I've had coachbuilt vans including a Hymer and Autotrail but really like the 'go anywhere ' feel that the van gives me,
As always the layout has to be the primary consideration and IMO is the most important factor. How she intends to use the van will help determine the correct layout for your friend.
Hope it all works out for her - and make sure she joins MH Fun!!

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)

Marc
For one person plus smallish dog, the Romahome Hi-Lo is a brilliant use of a very small space. Not ideal in the depths of winter (like any pop-top), but still useable if prepared to do everything sitting down. Goes anywhere a car will & very economical to run. Not 'cool', but quite a cult following. A very good dealer just south of Bristol. Worth considering by anyone looking for something small.

VW T4s & T5s are semi-cool, dozens of converters, ranging from the dreadful to the very good, mostly quite expensive for the features they deliver. If I was solo, a T5/T6 would be on my shortlist. Had a T4 for 5 years & moved up to a PVC because two people + electric wheelchair = more space needed.

As Carol says, difficult to advise further without knowing a lot more about how, when & where she wants to use it. But she may not know the answers to those questions herself yet. That's one of the reasons it's so hard to get the right van first time.

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Welcome from driech but bonnie Scotland , you've joined the right site full of friendly natives, and good advice

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back