Single door conversions

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Detnor, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Detnor

Detnor Funster

Driving past a local garage they have a Le Voyageur outside, so couldn't resist having a look. (Porsche dealer, MD bought it, hardly used).
    Beautiful conversion but what immediately struck me was that it had only one door. Checking up, all the ones I could find on the internet were single door vehicles.
    So, all I could think of were problems, but then, on reflection, we normally only ever use one door.

Interested in any thoughts on single door conversions.

2. chaser

chaser Funster

Do you mean one door in the whole van, if so I would think it would very inconvenient as to which side it opens and how , as well as being a bit dangerous

3. Bellini

Bellini Funster

My RMB is a single door model, as is Dave's.

Personally, I've no problem with this arrangement.

Some friends of ours have pointed out potential issues in the event of a crash, but with the door being in the middle, I'd estimate 'common' impact points would be in the front or corners.

Anyway, from a practical perspective, there's no concern. It works well enough for us and I'd have no hesitation buying another single door model again.

4. Catamaran

Catamaran Funster

One door(advantages )

I also have a single door RMB advantages are obvious. Better insulation less droughts ,More room for furniture ,better security and because there's one door generally a better quality door,hinges,locks,etc ps on ours in an emergency you can use rear rooflight roof access ,That maybe just our model because theirs no ladder(another security issue ):

5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It is quite a common feature. Just makes it a slightly longer walk to pay when you stop say at an automated tollbooth and have to feed money into the machine. :Laughing:

6. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Only the hab door in mine, so less chance of breakins, most breakins are through the cab doors. I have lovely storage units where those with cab doors have a map pocket if they are lucky.

Attached Files:

7. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Hardly ever use the Driver door in the R-V. My old Odessa had only one door as did the Pace Arrow before it. In fact a large proportion of American R-V`s do not have a driver door. In most cases they are actually and "option" when new. If you survive a nasty Shunt its as easy to kick out a Window, as Open the door!!

Pete

8. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

My Hymer (in common with all RHD A class Hymers I've seen) has the 'drivers door' on the left. It just takes up useful storage space.