Single door conversions (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Driving past a local garage they have a Le Voyageur outside, so couldn't resist having a look. (Porsche dealer, MD bought it, hardly used).
Beautiful conversion but what immediately struck me was that it had only one door. Checking up, all the ones I could find on the internet were single door vehicles.
So, all I could think of were problems, but then, on reflection, we normally only ever use one door.

Interested in any thoughts on single door conversions.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Driving past a local garage they have a Le Voyageur outside, so couldn't resist having a look. (Porsche dealer, MD bought it, hardly used).
Beautiful conversion but what immediately struck me was that it had only one door. Checking up, all the ones I could find on the internet were single door vehicles.
So, all I could think of were problems, but then, on reflection, we normally only ever use one door.

Interested in any thoughts on single door conversions.

Do you mean one door in the whole van, if so I would think it would very inconvenient as to which side it opens and how , as well as being a bit dangerous

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
My RMB is a single door model, as is Dave's.

Personally, I've no problem with this arrangement.

Some friends of ours have pointed out potential issues in the event of a crash, but with the door being in the middle, I'd estimate 'common' impact points would be in the front or corners.

Anyway, from a practical perspective, there's no concern. It works well enough for us and I'd have no hesitation buying another single door model again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Catamaran

Free Member
Aug 13, 2013
Newquay,Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class RMB 800
Exp
Since 1975
One door(advantages )

Do you mean one door in the whole van, if so I would think it would very inconvenient as to which side it opens and how , as well as being a bit dangerous

I also have a single door RMB advantages are obvious. Better insulation less droughts ,More room for furniture ,better security and because there's one door generally a better quality door,hinges,locks,etc ps on ours in an emergency you can use rear rooflight roof access ,That maybe just our model because theirs no ladder(another security issue ):

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It is quite a common feature. Just makes it a slightly longer walk to pay when you stop say at an automated tollbooth and have to feed money into the machine. :roflmto:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Only the hab door in mine, so less chance of breakins, most breakins are through the cab doors. I have lovely storage units where those with cab doors have a map pocket if they are lucky.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• RMB 017.jpg
    RMB 017.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 38

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hardly ever use the Driver door in the R-V. My old Odessa had only one door as did the Pace Arrow before it. In fact a large proportion of American R-V`s do not have a driver door. In most cases they are actually and "option" when new. If you survive a nasty Shunt its as easy to kick out a Window, as Open the door!!

Pete

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My Hymer (in common with all RHD A class Hymers I've seen) has the 'drivers door' on the left. It just takes up useful storage space.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back