Simple question: Should we join a club?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by beejay, Aug 22, 2016.

1. beejay

beejay Funster

Yes we're complete beginners, not getting our motorhome for another month yet, but was wondering should we join CCC and/or CC? I suspect that there are fans out there of one or another or both.

2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

You are going to get an awful lot of different answers to this for a lot of different reasons. We have been in both, camps in different areas, cheap insurance, yadda, yadda, yadda. Right now we're only in the CC as we are living on one of their 5 van sites during the week. :D

3. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

When I started motorhoming, I joined both and then decided which I preferred. Each has it's advantages/disadvantages, just a matter of personal preference.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Entirely up to you depending on how you wish to use your motorhome..i am in both clubs because it suits my requirements,I.e. Nice places to visit ,great facilities on site and usually a bus stop outside of gate..but many others enjoy there motorhomes without the need of facilities.so I can't answer your question and unlike many others on this forum cannot say which is best .. Roy

• Like Like x 2
  5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

we have been in both for many years for the benefits from both. We find we use the C&CC a lot for their temporary holiday sites THSs because they suit our style of camping and can be found in some great locations. The CC we use for their sites and small 5 van CLs due to convenient locations for visiting family

6. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

Only in C&CC because we use the new forest sites which are part of C&CC. However recently I have stayed in a few ths and these were great so was the couple of cs. Will always renew because of the camping in the forest sites.

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We are in all three but keep thinking about dumping the CC (only kept up membership this year because of access to the CL network and possibility of wanting to use one). Some notes Here.

• Like Like x 1
  8. beejay

beejay Funster

Think might need help with some abbreviations!!(n)

9. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

We are in both because we like the CL and CS networks. It's also handy to be able to use a "full service site" now and again for laundry facilities.

CL= Certified Location and CS=Certified Site. They are 5 caravan/motorhome sites for members only. The facilites on offer vary from site to site - most (all?) are privately owned and certified by the relevant club for planning purposes. You have to be a club member to use the site but not all sites ask to see your membership card.

There is also Britstops @BritStops where for a membership fee you get a book of places where a host will allow an overnight stay.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Muddibootz

Muddibootz Funster

You don't have to be in any of the clubs but both the CC and C&CC have sites that we use fairly frequently so we're in both. Like many I have considered leaving one or both clubs in the past but have stayed in as I would miss out on some of the sites and it's not a huge amount of money really.
    I don't really think of either as being clubs, but more like companies that run camp site businesses.
    Some people don't like the site rules which both club's sites enforce but I don't mind as some of them protect us from other campers.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

Used to be in the C&CC when we had our fist van, but found we preferred not to be in any and just let it expire, putting up with other people's noise n crap facilities, stroppy wardens wasnt for us especially after paying a premium price for a patch of turf, we choose where to camp and who by... An if we dont like it we can move.. At no cost... Just my opinion, as i know a lot of folk are a little concerned about wild camping but we love it

12. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

We are not members of either CC or C&CC as we are unlikely to spend much time in UK.

But when planning our trip over there for this autumn I discovered that if you are not a member you may struggle to find places to stay (seems that you are a bit short of aires)

1. large parts of the country where we want to go are ACSI deserts

2. when looking at ukcampsite.co.uk I realised that I could not stay at quite a lot of sites without being a member of something

Maybe you could start with not joining (in the style of Groucho Marx) and see how you get on or ask any friends what they do.

When compared to the other costs of buying and running a MH membership fees cost b***** all.

• Like Like x 2
  13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

CC - Caravan Club
    C&CC - Camping & Caravanning Club
    MCC - Motor Caravanners Club.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

With a club site you know what you are getting regarding facilities and standards..... you also know about the rules and if following the rules will or won't bother you.

15. Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK Funster

Hello and welcome.

We only got our first motorhome at the start of May so not highly experienced but ended up going for c&cc (camping and caravan club.) cannot remember why over cc.

Stayed in a couple of CS sites (certified site, privately run maximum of 5.)

Owners seemed very friendly, and reasonably priced with hook up for a tenner a night compared with some regular campsites at nearer £30 a night. Also they have an app which I have loaded on my phone so you can find a cs site near a specific location so you can risk being a bit more spontaneous as there seem to be loads to choose from.

I feel membership is worth it for the access to these smaller sites they also came up with a fairly good insurance quote.

We have wild camped a couple of times on route but like to have easy access to water and waste points plus hook up is handy to save worrying about your batteries.

Would strongly suggest at least one of the two cc or c&cc for access to their private smaller sites.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  16. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

The facilities on club sites are most certainly NOT Crap .

• Like Like x 1
  17. beejay

beejay Funster

Thanks for replies. This is a bit overwhelming really. We need to learn all about running the motorhome and then all about where we can take it to. Good thing only working part time.
    I guess I need to look into these organisations and make our own minds up. Do you think that as we will be starting out after the main season has ended (we take delivery at end of September) we can find somewhere where we want to go and book independently? It's probably a case of learning on the job!
    Possibly I should also have read some of the old posts regarding this subject :)

18. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Not roo far from you a big private site lovely facilities loads of free evening entertainment. At Warren farm Brean sands near Burnham on sea.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. beejay

beejay Funster

After we pick up the motorhome the dealer has arranged for us to stay overnight at a local site to make sure we are happy before we head off on our own. We thought for our first adventure we would go to Weymouth. It's not too far and we know the area as day trippers. We went to Brean after visiting the dealers up there, it seemed pretty hectic!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Once the kids go back to school it calms down and you can chill or be entertained at clubhouse..