Simple phone help required (1 Viewer)

May 21, 2012
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2012
As the title I am looking for some simple jargon free help/advice. I have had my Iphone for a number of years and just realised I am paying far too much for my contract (just over £40 a month) and dont make much use of it particularly as I get little or no reception at home. I have been offered a deal by O2 (my current provider) at £22.99 a month for 2 years 1 gig of data unlimited calls but I provide my own phone. They will also throw in a 02 home booster box for free..
I have a couple, of probably stupid, questions
1) is this a good deal?
2)how much would I need to spend on a decent phone? and what is a decent phone.Is secondhand OK? my Iphone is faulty on the silent/ring switch and contiually swithces this on and off using battery quickly as a result.
3)can i use whatever phone I buy to link my laptop or kindle to the internet when in mainly Germany and France.
Many thanks
Peter

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Look at the moto G made by Motorola they are very useful little phones we have both got one, mine was bought about £80 abouts with EE I get 3gig , 1000 minutes and unlimited texts £ 14. 00 a month. Eds was on contract so phone free 500mins 1. Gig. Unlimited texts £21 a month. Well worth looking around. There are two one with 8 and one with 16 gig memory.

Some good posts on here about them when they first came out.

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
look at the sim only deals at vodaphone, as if your phone is working you might as well keep it!

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/pay-monthly/sim-only-deals/index.htm

coverage
coverage checker Broken Link Removed

£14 month, 900 minutes, 500 mb and unlimited texts

I use my phone everyday, and hard pushed to get through even 300mb data as wifi is everywhere

My teenage children are on similar plans with their own phone and even they don't get through it all

vodafone also have a sure signal booster if coverage is rubbish!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Virgin, sim only £7 per month with unlimited calls and text, and 500mb data - never been able to use it all in one month.(y)

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I'm on the above Vodafone contract, very happy with it.
I can tether it with my ipad just fine but are you sure you want to that outside UK?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
With a sim only deal from 3and at about the same cost you will get all you can eat data unlimited text and a good supply of Mins
4 gig a month limit (when tethered) no limit otherwise
Plus the bonus of feel at home* ie use the web and calls to the uk as if you were at home with no extra costs
* time limits apply to the amount of time you spend abroad
G

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Peter

Certainly not imptressed with the offer O2 have given you.

Geo has mentioned 3. They offer 1gb data 600 minutes and unlimited texts with ba choice of 16 plus phones included all for £17 per month for 24 months.

Also sim only suggestions have been made. These will require you to get your current phone unlocked which it will almost certainly will be or get another phone that is unlocked. As the old one is many years old maybe the time to get a new one.

There are many other offers from other providers and with the changes coming soon to roaming charges nodoubt new offers will be around soon.

I am with Tmobile on my phone as I get a very good deal but I have a 3 Mifi for broadband.

Since the 1st January 3's phones have been suppliesd unlocked so in future you could switch with it if you find a better deal whn your chosen one expires. Also you can use your phone abroad in certain countries as if you were at home with no extra cost if within your allowance . France is on the list and hopefully Spain will follow soon. See the 3 website for countris covered.

Its a minefield.

Doug

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Had my galaxy. S4 nicked thought insurance would cover. Nope didn't download their app ( 3 )
Replaced it with Cubot octa core x6 unlocked.very fast duel sim (eBay) won £82 got 3 sim 5000 three to three mins 5000 anywhere min .tethering .unlimited text unlimited data £27 mth . suits me (y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Women need unlimited minutes I think.

:whistle2:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
1. No, it's pretty poor.
2. Not much, but you should be able to get a contract including a handset for less than the figure you mention.
3. Be very careful tethering anywhere but especially outside the UK. The data allowance you will have will be designed for phone use. If you start using more data hungry laptop applications (video streaming springs to mind) it won't last very long at all.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Look at the moto G made by Motorola they are very useful little phones we have both got one, mine was bought about £80 abouts with EE I get 3gig , 1000 minutes and unlimited texts £ 14. 00 a month. Eds was on contract so phone free 500mins 1. Gig. Unlimited texts £21 a month. Well worth looking around. There are two one with 8 and one with 16 gig memory.

Some good posts on here about them when they first came out.
Fantastic phone, if you buy one from phones4u they come unlocked, go down tesco get a three sim pay and go 3p A min phone 2p a text 1 p a meg data here and abroad(y)(y)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Wait! if you can a little longer. Prices will drop even further with the end of roaming charges due anytime now.
There will be a price war between the main providers, so don't get locked into a contract just yet.
At present '3 Home' looks like a very good deal and the other big providers will at least try and match or beat this deal.

OP
OP
Forester
May 21, 2012
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2012
Thank you all for the comments which I am trying to distill. Does seem I should not be accepting the current offer.
Is it possible to keep my mobile number under any of the options above?
Thanks
Peter

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thank you all for the comments which I am trying to distill. Does seem I should not be accepting the current offer.
Is it possible to keep my mobile number under any of the options above?
Thanks
Peter
All of them

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I am with o2. Unlimited calls, 1gig of data and a Samsung s5 . I pay £27.99 a month

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back