SIM card for 2 years travelling around Europe (1 Viewer)

Checkingout

Free Member
Mar 12, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Blucamp Sky 25S
Exp
I can see hundreds of threads about SIM cards so please excuse me if I add just one wee one as my situation is a little different to most funsters and I got tired of reading all the responses that didn't give me what I was after.

We are planning to travel around Europe for a couple of years so the 3 cards look no good, with the 2 month limitation. I have a 4G MiFi device already. We expect to do a reasonable amount of wildcamping and need data regularly so can rely on hooking into MacDonalds or the campsite wifi.

We have no European/UK address so it that may make it difficult to sign up to any plan.

Any recommendations for us please?

I saw this on E Bay which might do the job?

Has anyone had experience with this provider?

We will also need prepaid plans for mobiles for very low call usage and a bit of data that we can use throughout Europe. Preferably without the no tethering limitation.

Thanks in advance for your helpful (and not so helpful (Tootles :D) advice.

Cheers

Alan

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We have had Three for 3 years. Their Feel At Home is amazing.

Have a look, it's good value.

OP
OP
Checkingout

Checkingout

Free Member
Mar 12, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Blucamp Sky 25S
Exp
Unfortunately, my understanding is that Feel at Home can only be used overseas for max 2 months continuously and we will be away for two years. I have a sister in London who could no doubt set me up with three, however, there is still that limitation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Unfortunately, my understanding is that Feel at Home can only be used overseas for max 2 months continuously and we will be away for two years. I have a sister in London who could no doubt set me up with three, however, there is still that limitation.
We've lived here for 18 months and both phones, and the data SIM all work OK.

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
I have a three sim card which I can top up with international credit as I need it. Might that be of use?

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I would be careful of the link in your first post. I see nothing to suggest that it is nothing more than the 3 network usual 24month sim, that will be crippled if you exceed the 2 months. They are playing with words by sticking the word "international" in the title and description. If I am correct then it is way over price.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We have had Three for 3 years. Their Feel At Home is amazing.

Have a look, it's good value.

Feel at home is fine for short trips but it only allows for 2 months use in any one year
(EDIT) forgot to say that the sim is blocked after 60 days use abroad for the rest of the year)

Although if you switch your phone off then it works out that you can get 60 USEAGE days and if you switch on (or switch Flight mode off) it works longer than calendar months
Three told me that you can get PAYG sims without feel at home they still work but you pay normal roaming costs

The tethering is something that can't be improved which is where MiFi or 3G dongles can help but tethering is not allowed on UK mobiles (as I understand ALL networks) when Roaming

Not had any experience of other networks (recently) as been on Three for a number of years before that was on Vodafone when I had my first phone in 1981(briefcase bolted in car boot and rubbish coverage) then Cellnet which is now 02 when we went to Mexico and on a cruise didn't get on with them when they changed and upped their prices

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
We're looking for similar and the best I have come up with is not really satisfactory.

If what you are after is a fixed number that will work for two to three years then it appears that the best option is to get a Skype number this will give friends and contacts a fixed number to call you on along with an answering machine. It does however rely on you having either a mobile signal or WiFi. That can be addressed with a local SIM or as an alternative we are taking so not the have to rely on free macdonalds type wi-fi

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
I would be careful of the link in your first post. I see nothing to suggest that it is nothing more than the 3 network usual 24month sim, that will be crippled if you exceed the 2 months. They are playing with words by sticking the word "international" in the title and description. If I am correct then it is way over price.

Took a look that's a DATA sim and so not on Feel at Home really for MiFi units only not talk time

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I saw this on E Bay which might do the job?

As Mike says that is the 3 one you're worried about.

Feel at home is fine for short trips but it only allows for 2 months use in any one year
(EDIT) forgot to say that the sim is blocked after 60 days use abroad for the rest of the year)

Although if you switch your phone off then it works out that you can get 60 USEAGE days and if you switch on (or switch Flight mode off) it works longer than calendar months
Three told me that you can get PAYG sims without feel at home they still work but you pay normal roaming

Sorry but that's rubbish. I don't care what Three say that isn't what happens in practice.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I asked this of Three and you can get non feel at home data sims which is what I'm planning on trying out

The safest thing to do when talking to Three is assume they're deliberately lying to you. (y) If you haven't discovered that for yourself yet you will do eventually.

The pre loaded data SIMs that many of us having been using for a long time for travel data in Europe ARE part of Feel at Home. That's why we use them. (y)

Just do a search and you will find dozens of threads on the subject.

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
We have been using Three abroad now for 6 months without any problems.
Twice now we have used up our allowance for the month but then just top it up.
We also use local data sims for the other tablet when there is no wi-fi or signal for Three.
All going good.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We buy 3 sims, they are 12g for ÂŁ24.99 and have no time limit on them.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It depends how often you want access to the Internet and how much data you need. If it is just once a week to check emails then O2 would do the job. It costs ÂŁ1.99 each day you are connected. Otherwise, as already suggested a local sim is the best solution. Or satellite internet if the budget will stretch. :)

OP
OP
Checkingout

Checkingout

Free Member
Mar 12, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Blucamp Sky 25S
Exp
Thanks for all of the great advice (and not a smart cheeky comment in any of the posts - what's wrong with you guys). It sounds like the 3 prepaid is the way to go but just a question on the logistics. Do I just buy a pre-loaded SIM and shove it in the Mifi or do I have to start some sort of account with 3?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks for all of the great advice (and not a smart cheeky comment in any of the posts - what's wrong with you guys). It sounds like the 3 prepaid is the way to go but just a question on the logistics. Do I just buy a pre-loaded SIM and shove it in the Mifi or do I have to start some sort of account with 3?

If you buy a preloaded one then just fit it and away you go. When it runs out throw it away and buy a new one.

For a trip as long as yours though buying local ones in each country would probably be a better choice.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Thanks for all of the great advice (and not a smart cheeky comment in any of the posts - what's wrong with you guys).

Ok then.........

Two tin cans and a pieces of string at various lengths.
Smoke signals.
Pony express.
Pigeon.
A runner.

All good for voice transfer, I will keep thinking for the data transfer bit. :)

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
My contract 3 data and call sim worked for 10 months in Europe, my PAYG 3 data Sims stopped after 2 months and a bit!!! I also used local data cards where possible, but that was before 3 were fully feel at home in most of Europe... HOWEVER it does (or did) say in the small print even if you have the 3 unlimited data package on contract you only get up to 25 GB in data in total in Europe. So only used the 3 contract data very sparingly and bought local Sims if possible.
The other thing I did was buy 3 (3 data) Sims and just chucked them when the data cap came in and started a new one! BUT the tricky thing here was they would not activate over wifi, I had to use my phone data connection to do that!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I suggest you buy 3 prepaid Sims. You could buy a number of 12 month or 3 month Sims and if one stops working after a couple of months just change the sim and carry on. Prepaid Sims are cheaper than paygo top ups.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
3 data sim,I've been on mine,for around 3 months and its still going,I have never been cut off after 2 months,I think its the luck of the draw,im on a tour,for at least 6months,with me I have 3 seperate 3mobile data sims wen 1 goes ill setup the other 1 but with,most places having wifi,I doubt ill use all 3sitting on a remote beach,south if estepona and its a great signal

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I have been using a Toggle sim for a couple of years and not had any problems with connection. You can register for a local number in any of the countries that you will be visiting before you leave the U.K.

I pay ÂŁ5 a year to keep a Spanish number which means people I know in Spain can contact me cheaply at any ti, don't have to phone my UK number at high cost. Kids pay a local UK mobile phone cost to ring me.

http://www.togglemobile.co.uk/home/en

OP
OP
Checkingout

Checkingout

Free Member
Mar 12, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Blucamp Sky 25S
Exp
It appears on balance that the 3 SIM is the best option, maybe the local SIM but from what I have seen the cost of data on those is high. So on a practical note, if I was to buy 3 Sim cards, do I need to set up an account with 3 or can just bung it in the mifi and be up and running? How do you actually use them (excuse the ignorance). I am in Australia so not sure if they would ship here? I could set up an account and delivery addess via my sisters address in London?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back