Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I was parked at the Praia Da Rocha Marina this Wednesday (rather expensive at €2.50 per day) when news came via the Algarve Motorhomers' Grapevine that the GNR (National Police) had swooped on the carpark at Silves and moved all the motorhomes off it.

This happened last year as well.

This does not seem to make any sense to us peasants not "in the know" because the local council and mayor are happy to have the vanners here, as are the local traders.

I strongly suspect this event was little to do with the motorhomers and much more to do with some muscle flexing between the council, local police and the GNR.

Anyhow.

I have always maintained that after these "clear outs" everything will return to normal and, in order to test my theory, I have driven the 20 kms to Silves this afternoon and guess what?

I am peacefully parked (within the white lines) along with 30 or so other motorhomers, just as usual.

I promise that, if the GNR come along now and move me on, I will take pictures and post them on here simply to bring great joy and happiness to many, many Funsters who disapprove of all us freeloading tossers!!!!

Meanwhile I have texted Geordie Billy and Irish John about the situation and I expect them to pull in forthwith.

JJ :cool:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have nothing against freeloading tossers JJ.. good luck to you I say :)
.. personally I prefer to pay €10 for a site or camper stop, get a peaceful nights rest.. a place to sit out with a table and enjoy a barbie..
and no GNR breathing down my neck...

but each to their own.. :D(y)

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
I saved quite a few euros by bottling out and not driving to Barcelona for the Messi-Hart Show...

Bet my lad spent a fortune 99 euro ticket + flights and a drive from Longridge to Luton plus beer etc money well spent

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
we have done more wild-camping in Portugal than anywhere else ---never had problems with GNR----------I suppose it depends where and how you wild camp-----we have spent most time away from the beach.

Reactions: JJ

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Silves car park..............wild camping ????:rofl:

Yes, we have visited Silves-----we have been since the '80s-----God, how it has changed----we first stopped on the spot by the river when it was all a gravel area for the market-----when the 'locals' used to come with their donkeys and carts and sell all sorts of livestock etc. etc.
Silves car-park is what we would class as a 'free aire' not wild camping.
We have recently stopped there overnight to go to the Sat. market-------but even that has changed over the years----thats progress.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Hi JJ,
Can confirm that there are mucho motorhomes at the carpark in Silves today.
We took the cowardly option and are currently staying at the Motorhome Park just down the road.
Never been here to Silves before and the town looks quite interesting.. (Admittedly, after being less than blown over with Portugal on the way westward from Spain! Nevertheless, we are determined to explore the country as fully as possible and make our decision at the end.)

Bumped into -mhablando metaphorically that is - Timetraveller near Albufeira. And thats after bumping into them at Manilva last month too. Jeeez!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I think it's more to do with the GNR having a go at the council TBH than the motorhomers. There is at least one 'Naysayer' on the council and reading between the lines of what was reported last year leads me to seriously wonder if her brother or lover eg has some clout in the GNR ........

Have to say, though it's a carpark - so are many 'official' aires in all countries that have them that look like that. And the MHers main attraction to the town and the townspeople is the dosh they bring into it and spend there, cos times are hard in Portugal. Most of them would be willing to pay something to use a borne too. If you ask at many tourist offices Where can I park to visit your town/village/area? you generally get the answer Park anywhere sensible - just come! PLEEEEASE.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Off thread a little JJ, but has it stopped raining in Portugal yet :D.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Off thread a little JJ, but has it stopped raining in Portugal yet :D.

You should get better bait than that when you go fishing if you want to catch me, Mr Dave. ;)

The very best thing about the weather here is that it is NOT in Benidorm! :restmycase:

Deleted User
Well... I know exactly where you stay in Cabanas sir and I know where exactly I am staying today and I know which place I prefer! ;)

For the record, I don't "camp" in my motorhome... I LIVE in it.

As do we, but obviously in a different fashion:)......each to his own.:D

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
well we are in bequerrence now and the weather is gorgeous after a few days rain down south.
We are the only ones here, very surprising, this is our 3rd time here send this is the first time its been empty.

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I suspect you might have only visited the Algarve so far...

The Algarve is NOT real Portugal.

Correct. Only the Algarve thus far, but we will complete our journey up past Oporto towards Vigo before deciding on whether its a yeah or nay for future visits.

M

Madwife

Deleted User
We left Camperstop Messiness on 12 March after a stay of 3 months (we were only staying there initially for 2 weeks! We miss Portugal greatly and would still be there only we are picking up our new to us MH on Tuesday. Sitting here in very cold Wimereux and Portugal beats it hands down.

Kath

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Passed the carpark at the back by the graveyard only 2 vans on there 2 hours ago,
might come down for a chat later.
Laure & Karen.

Reactions: JJ

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We were at Mikki's Place to stay and a couple pulled in next to us who had just been evicted from the parking in Silves.
I may be wrong but I was under the impression that the parking was just that, parking. But from what this couple said folks were treating it more like a camp site with tables and chairs etc out. If this is the case then it's understandable that the local police moved them on

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If this is the case then it's understandable that the local police moved them on

Sorry to be pedantic but the LOCAL police didn't move anyone.

Indeed the local police make a habit of driving through several times a day checking all is well.

The GNR (National Police) moved the motorhomers. I suspect they take their orders from further afield...

Anyway... all quiet and peaceful here now except for a (UK) dog owner who has a large motorhome and pulls a great big trailer behind it. Loaded on the front of this trailer is a cage with a tarpaulin cover (only taking up a third of the floor space of the trailer) in which he keeps a couple of largish, badly trained, noisy, golden retriever type dogs. He sometimes lets them out onto the rest of the trailer on leads and just stands by them holding onto the leads. They bark at everything going by and sometimes leap off the trailer nearly dragging him to the ground as they do so.

I have moved away from this motorhome!

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Last month when at the Market at Silves there was a large motor home/coach by the fence of the carpark. in front of that he had a bus that he was converting his stuff /parts etc all over the path and bench i look and then thought he is taking the pith. when the market was on there was 3 GNR there.
and i am sad to say it was a brit reg.
Looked today he has moved by the cemetry wall both vehicles.
No wonder folk who abide by the simple rules get moved on.

Quintapedro

Campsite Owner Portugal
Feb 20, 2013
N37"09.24 W008"12.34
Funster No
MH
Motorhome Site
Exp
Hello JJ

Sorry but I disagree , Algarve is Portugal !!!!,
As in all countries each zone has its characteristics, logical if you tell me that some coastal towns and cities are targeted to trurismo, i aggre,
but in the interior of the Algarve in lwith is the bigst area, the traditions and regional characteristics still there....

big hug
Pedro

JJ :cool:[/QUOTE]

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Hello JJ

Sorry but I disagree , Algarve is Portugal !!!!,
As in all countries each zone has its characteristics, logical if you tell me that some coastal towns and cities are targeted to trurismo, i aggre,
but in the interior of the Algarve in lwith is the bigst area, the traditions and regional characteristics still there....

big hug
Pedro

[/QUOTE]

As Pedro says there are some amazing places on the Algarve away from the obvious tourist areas . Enjoy , search and you will find them :) but instead of rushing north take your time searching out the other wonders of Portugal :))

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back