Silverscreen or Taylor Made (1 Viewer)

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
Thought I would add to this discussion in case anyone is still thinking of buying a screen cover.

We bought a SilverScreen cover and used it this weekend for the first time. I can confirm that there was no condensation and it did help with keeping warm. But, the thing that really impressed me was that it came through Storm Dylan, with winds strong enough to knock me over, completely unscathed. Frankly I had expected to see it ripped to shreds in the morning as there was a reasonable amount of damage elsewhere, but it is as good as new.

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
Good evening all,
We have an A class Hymer & have used both makes. After a couple of years or so the Silver screens silver outer material de laminated both against the screen & on the outer layer.
I was never really happy with the over the door & through the window fixings.
Some second hand Taylormades had been well made & durable on an earlier van.
I had seen on a site somewhere some Taylormades that used an awning rail vertically to attach the side panels behind the door pillars.
I spoke to Taylormade to order a set & suggested what I thought could be a slight design improvement & they were happy to make a set to my spec.
Really pleased with them & how they attach, no sagging & stable in very windy conditions. Always worth a call to them.
Barrie.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We have a taylor made and used them for about 9 months a year, 6 months touring and left on the windscreen all winter.

They are five years old and still going strong.

Not a 100% you can buy these now as web site has been down for maintenance since early December.

They are on Ebay but collection only from Bridgewater.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Silver screens changed the construction material around 2007, stating is was some regulation and admitted the screens are now not as durable as they once were.
They said the screens they produce now are like winter coats and not fully waterproof, they said you wouldn't leave a winter coat out for long periods, it needs to be fetched in to dry out, then worn again.
So no good for full timing, as we were at the time, this was advice from silver screens themselves, not me. However we did leave them on every night and they became mushy inside, although it was terrible weather at times through the winter.
I was more sceptical and thought they changed the material due to costs, not regulation.

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
We don’t leave ours on full time because the instructions advised against so can’t comment on that. I was simply impressed by how it stood up to very strong winds.

We did try to buy a Taylormade to begin with and when I spoke to them they confirmed they can be left on full time, but could not give any idea of delivery because they had sold the next few months production completely. Perhaps that explains the website?

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
At the time I ordered mine from Taylormade they were going through a family crisis & I know production had been dificult for them. Things are maybe better now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Second hand Silver screen for us for a 2009 fiat Ducato. Works a treat and well made. Would buy another when this one wears out, but a long way off.

Gadget

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 15, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
AutoTrailTribute620
Exp
Since 1999
We had a Tailormade screen on our Herald Templar (Transit based) for ten years with no issues whatsoever.
Just changed now to a Benimar Mileo 313 (Ducato based) therefore one of the first upgrades we did was a new Tailormade cover - well pleased with the fit and quality, very easy to take on and off, highly recommended.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back