silver screens

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by freddieboy, Aug 3, 2009.

1. freddieboy

freddieboy Read Only Funster

hi all can tell me which is the better and why, internal or externa silver screens :Smile: thanks new to the game !1

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  2. MaureenD

MaureenD Read Only Funster

I prefer the external ones. better for condensation if they get wet just put them in the shower till you get home and then dry them out not a problem
    Maureen

3. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

External. The reason is that they offer greater insulation.

If you use internal on a cold night you will have enough water from the condensation to start your own swimming pool.:cry:

Dave:thumb::thumb:

4. GIBLA53

GIBLA53 Read Only Funster

HI and welcome i have had both and used both at the same time in very chilly climes. Both have merits are probably equally as quick to put up , main advantage of external is that it can also cover engine bay area , internal sort are usually a little cheaper and use less storage space -this is all my opinion and bound to be shot down in flames. Alan:Cool:

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

we have both types.

internal screens are basicaly aimed at reflecting the suns rays so stays cooler indoors.

the external screens are insulating so ideal for cold weather and no condensation problems but they do get wet/dirty.

mine were blue-ish grey but now are mucky greyish.

the main drawback with externals is the lack of daylight at the front unless you either remove them each day (a real chore) or buy the ones with a zip center panel to lower in daylight.
    internals are much easier.....just pull off the top fixing suckers and let it hang down.

6. geofliz

geofliz Read Only Funster

We have both, but the internal ones are where they belong, gathering dust in the roof. The external are in my opinion the best, for the reasons stated earlier. We also use them in summer if and when we get sunshine to keep the motorhome cool. Go for Silver Screens not the alternatives as the service is first class, was in my case anyway.

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

a lot of folks swear by 'Taylormade' as well:thumb:

8. davejen

davejen Funster

Iagree but ours are two sides and a middle section, we can "roll" the centre section down during the day then just roll it up again at night. They are vlcro'd at the edges to do this.
    Welcome to the fun, by the way.
    Regards, Dave:thumb:

9. geofliz

geofliz Read Only Funster

No doubt Pappajohn, I was only speaking from my own experience. :thumb:

10. Tinyk

Tinyk Read Only Funster

I bought the external silver screens direct from them and also had the day panel installed so during the day we just pull back a bit of velcro and you have instant daylight plus you can only see out not in with their special panel.

I did a lot of reading before buying and the consensus is definitely go with the external and get genuine silver screens or taylor made, cheap alternatives are just not worth the money.

11. stagman

stagman Deleted User

We hardly stop long enough in one place to bother fitting the external ones .For me it would be the internal ones .i also think the Fiamma ones are better value than the Taylor made and if it wasn't for Venetian Blinds it would be Curtains for us all:thumb:

12. reader

reader Deleted User

If you buy the one piece Silver Screen (cant comment on other makes)you can in fact use it on both the outside and inside. This doesnt work with the centre drop down panel versions though

13. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

If you want to use your motorhome in winter, get external screens as they have the best insulating effect. We use them together with the internal concertina blinds to maximise the dead-air insulation around the windscreen.
    We have Silverscreens and can recommend them, although many other people speak highly of Taylormade.

We bought what Silverscreens refer to as their 'Show Grade' (I believe they sell them as 'specials' at shows around the country - we bought direct via telephone). These are identical to the standard version, but are made from the end of the roll of material so tend to be a bit more wrinkly. This only lasts a short time before smoothing out. The benefit is a cheaper price, but you lose their 'buy-back' offer, which enables you to sell them back to Silverscreens at a fair discount if you want to buy a different size in future. n.b. screens are cut and shaped to fit a particular van.

Give them a call - they are very helpful - see below.

Philip

>>Siverscreens<<

14. JayDee

JayDee Funster

Welcome,
    One of the disadvantages of the external screens has not been mentioned thus far.

If you are overnighting in a lay-by or aire and are unfortunate enough to be attacked, the external screen will prevent you from driving off. The internals can be removed instantly.

Of course this pre-supposes that you would be in that situation. The only aires that I've heard of as being risky are the motorway aires and some of those in built-up areas.

I would advocate external screens for all the reasons mentioned so far. The internal screens are, as papajohn mentioned, better as sun/heat screens than as protection from the cold.

John

15. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Note this point Freddieboy, its an important point on a situation you may hopefully never find yourself in....but something you should seriously think about.

As for the condensation biz with interior screens, only reason that occurs is because folk who get it don't vent their van properly.

To settle your mind i'd suggest buying both external and internal and giving them both a try in all weathers. Thats what i did and now stick just with internal. Only time i miss my external is during winter with the occassional freeze and i've forgot to cover my windscreen. But a blanket or piece of cloth does the same job!