Silver screens Luton condensation (1 Viewer)

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Got a set of silver screens from Santa and used them for 1st time over the last 3 days
windscreen great NO condensation BUT had severe condensation in the Luton so much so that duvet cover was actually wet at the bottom and pillows also damp
Have I just moved the condensation to the Luton NOT had this problem when used last January without silver screens in -5
Roof light open on 1st catch rear window on 1st catch so flow of air
Any thoughts comments welcome

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Some vans suffered from lack of insulation in the overhead cab roof, line it with some thin foam mat and it will cure it

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume you are sleeping in the luton so the condensation will be your own breath up there, I think the silver screens are a 'red herring' though, but to see for sure you could try not having them on for a night and see if it does make a difference.

We had a similar problem in a previous MH when we hadn't used it for a while and found that the walls got very wet on the first night we slept in it, which we simply attributed to it not being aired sufficiently previously so damp air was already in it and we just added to it. At the time we always used external screens on the windscreen and hadn't experienced the problem before so couldn't attribute the 'moving' condensation to their use.

When was the last time you used the MH? We have had some very, very wet weather which is more of a problem than it just being very cold, as the damp sticks around for a longer time.

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for replies
No water ingress that I am aware of and just had habitation done johnandshell
Have read that Peter but didn't have this problem last winter before I got silver screens
Minx It was my daughter and husband in the Luton so total of 4 in the van but not the first time we have had 4 van last used mid Dec
Will keep an eye on it but just seemed strange that not had problem before I fitted silver screens

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Condensation will form in the coldest part of the van, you need a realy good air flow.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Can't see how a set of Para-Gon Silver screens cause condensation.. But if they are suitable for a 2009 ducato I'll begrudgingly take them off you for a nominal amount:Smile:

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We were at the same site with the same weather conditions.We noticed condensation in the overhead cupboards and in the luton. Like you we have used it all year round previously with no issues. I'm just putting it down to the weather and opening everything up to air it.:Smile:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Condensation

Its a reason I do not use silver screens - let the condensation form on the windscreen - easy to manage and wipe away. If it's not there, it will go somewhere else, unless everyone stops breathing.

That said, we don't get screen condensation and we don't use silver screens. Leave a lot watt fan heater on all night at the front, only 800 watts.

Russell

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Surely if the motorhome is well insulated and ventilated then condensation should not be an issue? Maybe someone can correct me here. Our last van had silver screens.. Mainly to insulate against extreme heat and cold... Worked extremely well. When we head to Scotland in Feb we will pick up silver screens for this can on the way up from Cleckheaton.. We're not expecting any problems.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Silver screens and condensation

We've just come back from a three night stay at Botallack and for the first time ever, we got some condensation on the inside of the roof over the drop down bed. The weather was appalling every night so we couldn't open the vents and we had cooked a meal for our friends too. Added to all that, the temperature was warm despite the heavy squally rain, so I put it down to the unusual combination of the above. Won't get that in Spain, where we go on 17th, ferry permitting if course! Gary

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can't see how a set of Para-Gon Silver screens cause condensation.. But if they are suitable for a 2009 ducato I'll begrudgingly take them off you for a nominal amount:Smile:

Sounds as if the condensation has just moved to the next coldest surface. The screens don't cause the condensation but the water that would have condensed on the cold glass is now forming in the Luton.

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Thanks again for the replies will monitor it
Sorry to hear you had same problem Gordon trust you enjoyed your stay
Will keep an eye on it and see how it goes

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
As already been said condensation will form on the coldest surface in the van -If you put SS on it will find the next coldest :Smile: Each person in the van breathes out aprox one and a half pints/2 pints of water per night it has to go somewhere --we usually leave the rear window cracked open and that stops any condensation plus it's away from us draft wise :thumb:Heater set at around 18/19 c :winky:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back