Silver screens Luton condensation

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by camocam1, Jan 2, 2014.

1. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

Got a set of silver screens from Santa and used them for 1st time over the last 3 days
    windscreen great NO condensation BUT had severe condensation in the Luton so much so that duvet cover was actually wet at the bottom and pillows also damp
    Have I just moved the condensation to the Luton NOT had this problem when used last January without silver screens in -5
    Roof light open on 1st catch rear window on 1st catch so flow of air
    Any thoughts comments welcome

2. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Water ingress elsewhere in the van?

3. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Some vans suffered from lack of insulation in the overhead cab roof, line it with some thin foam mat and it will cure it

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  4. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I assume you are sleeping in the luton so the condensation will be your own breath up there, I think the silver screens are a 'red herring' though, but to see for sure you could try not having them on for a night and see if it does make a difference.

We had a similar problem in a previous MH when we hadn't used it for a while and found that the walls got very wet on the first night we slept in it, which we simply attributed to it not being aired sufficiently previously so damp air was already in it and we just added to it. At the time we always used external screens on the windscreen and hadn't experienced the problem before so couldn't attribute the 'moving' condensation to their use.

When was the last time you used the MH? We have had some very, very wet weather which is more of a problem than it just being very cold, as the damp sticks around for a longer time.

5. camocam1

Thanks for replies
    No water ingress that I am aware of and just had habitation done johnandshell
    Have read that Peter but didn't have this problem last winter before I got silver screens
    Minx It was my daughter and husband in the Luton so total of 4 in the van but not the first time we have had 4 van last used mid Dec
    Will keep an eye on it but just seemed strange that not had problem before I fitted silver screens

6. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

Condensation will form in the coldest part of the van, you need a realy good air flow.

7. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Can't see how a set of Para-Gon Silver screens cause condensation.. But if they are suitable for a 2009 ducato I'll begrudgingly take them off you for a nominal amount:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  8. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

We were at the same site with the same weather conditions.We noticed condensation in the overhead cupboards and in the luton. Like you we have used it all year round previously with no issues. I'm just putting it down to the weather and opening everything up to air it.:Smile:

9. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Condensation

Its a reason I do not use silver screens - let the condensation form on the windscreen - easy to manage and wipe away. If it's not there, it will go somewhere else, unless everyone stops breathing.

That said, we don't get screen condensation and we don't use silver screens. Leave a lot watt fan heater on all night at the front, only 800 watts.

Russell

• Like Like x 1
  10. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Surely if the motorhome is well insulated and ventilated then condensation should not be an issue? Maybe someone can correct me here. Our last van had silver screens.. Mainly to insulate against extreme heat and cold... Worked extremely well. When we head to Scotland in Feb we will pick up silver screens for this can on the way up from Cleckheaton.. We're not expecting any problems.

11. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

Silver screens and condensation

We've just come back from a three night stay at Botallack and for the first time ever, we got some condensation on the inside of the roof over the drop down bed. The weather was appalling every night so we couldn't open the vents and we had cooked a meal for our friends too. Added to all that, the temperature was warm despite the heavy squally rain, so I put it down to the unusual combination of the above. Won't get that in Spain, where we go on 17th, ferry permitting if course! Gary

• Like Like x 2
  12. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Sounds as if the condensation has just moved to the next coldest surface. The screens don't cause the condensation but the water that would have condensed on the cold glass is now forming in the Luton.

13. camocam1

Thanks again for the replies will monitor it
    Sorry to hear you had same problem Gordon trust you enjoyed your stay
    Will keep an eye on it and see how it goes

14. Terry

Terry Funster

As already been said condensation will form on the coldest surface in the van -If you put SS on it will find the next coldest :Smile: Each person in the van breathes out aprox one and a half pints/2 pints of water per night it has to go somewhere --we usually leave the rear window cracked open and that stops any condensation plus it's away from us draft wise :thumb:Heater set at around 18/19 c :Wink:
    terry