silver screens external

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ShiftZZ, Apr 8, 2012.

1. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

My technical consultant (sundance) yes i know has strongly advised me not to self build. he suggested ' taylor made) its not that i doubt him, well not since the Enron 'hot tip'

• Like Like x 5
  2. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
  3. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

my Taylormade is failing and only 3 years old

The Taylor made I have for my Ford E350 cab is not 3 years old yet and the silver (towards the screen) js starting to flake off.. we are in the South so the weather is not as bad as some places.. but we noticed it starting to happen this time last year when it was less than 2 years old and it has got worse.. heading for the dustbin in the not so distant future.:Angry:

May buy a Camos type which sell on Ebay from RV Spares for around £55.00

Bob

4. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Mr's R ran ours up, on a normal domestic sewing machine, we got the bits from C A K , I cut the templates, she knocked em up. (This was for our G reg A Class Pilote R750, our first, this time)

The Sheila at Silver Screens didn't want to know about "anything that old".

From memory it was just under £40 for all three screens

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

External ?

Dodgy security wise.

Should it go tits up you can rip away internal ones and drive off.

• Like Like x 3
  6. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Some interesting points raised here, we are just about to purchase the Taylor Made external silver screens:RollEyes:

Can see the security risk from having them external, but we're "swithering" what to do now because we were advised that the external ones were better than the internal ones from the insulation point of view.:Doh:

Bill & Margaret

7. kickstart

kickstart Funster

As Brian said security is our priority and we have never been cold.

• Like Like x 2
  8. veevee

veevee Funster

For 3 years full timing we bought the probably superior (for insulation and quality?) external screen cover and then created internal fixing points so we could use inside or out.

If you are on a camp site you could use them outside, if there is any doubt for security then inside, it worked a treat.

When the screen covers were used on the outside they insulated better for us, but not by a huge degree.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hilda summers coming, dont let the moths out of that wallet for a bit :Rofl1::Rofl1:

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ridgeway

Ridgeway Funster

Interesting thread as we're just about t buy a set here. Values i need are good sun insulation, easy install, good cab protection when storing the camper and that they provide privacy

Had more or less decided on a Fiamma set of external ones

11. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Dave... Can you be a little more precise.....are you talking self build Motorhome/Van conversion...then.... YES I AGREE FOR YOU A NO NO:Eeek:.....or are you talking a self build exterior SCREEN for your RAPIDO motorhome:Doh:....then I agree again for you a NO NO:Wink::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Now we had a Silver Screen on our other motorhome custom cab...and first class it was and well made, but I think Taylor made are just as good ...I think they are both made in the same town or if not very close to each other, may even be Family:Doh:

Mel

12. Heyupluv

I have seen many exterior screen covers on our journeys......some very feeble German ones some just Ok....BUT I still think the Silver Screen and the Taylor made, take some beating for Quallity....plus you will see the two mentioned screen covers for sale second hand, when people have changed vans from custom build to a "A" class...and the screen cover is STILL has good as the day they were purchased...that means Quality fabric and well made screen covers:thumb:

Mel:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jim

Jim Ringleader

IMO Internal screens are not worth buying, they don't do anything well. They do not stop condensation, they still let heat in when used as reflectors. External screens do both things very well. They stop a van heating up as well as totally prevent condensation and keep you warm in winter. As for security. if you are wild parking in a city then don't put them on. But for proper wild camping, rallies, and Regular campsite use etc. buy external screens.

We have had both makes over the years. silverScreens who only sell mail orderand don't do shows, and TaylorMade who attend the main shows. Both are good. Don't expect to get a smile out of the big fella at Taylor Made. A more miserable bloke youll never meet.

• Like Like x 4
  14. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

Thanks for that Jim i will now be looking to buy external ones since i have only the internal ones and am tired of the condensation every morning:thumb:hopefuly i can pick some up at the Peterborough show.

15. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Our van came with internal screens..
    And right posh ones they are too. Someone spent a fortune on them !!

But after taking advice and getting sick of mopping up condensation in the mornings, I bought an external set from eBay for about £60.00

They are reasonable quality, get used one hell of a lot ( works out to ABOUT 7 months of the year ) and are now coming up to 4 years old without any signs of age at all

We no longer get a minor swamp in the front and they made a hellova a difference to the temperature in the van ( We had them at Waldergraves Rob but doubt you will remember them :Smile: )

16. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

Hi Jaws, i do remember seeing yours cos thats where i thought that looks like a good idear to keep more light out, never thought it would stop the condensation though:Doh:now on my to buy list:thumb:as well as levelling thingys.

17. berkshire

berkshire Read Only Funster

We had a silverscreen external with a Topaz and did the same without the fixings. It already has the side window hook overs we then held it in place with the sunvisors. It was rigid enough to stay in place.

18. Gooney

Gooney Funster

I have Taylor made screens and as already said wonderful for preventing condensation, my only minor gripe is that there a bugger to fold up to put away, as you try to roll them up they keep reinflating themselves, it's a 2man job!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Heyupluv

Bill and Margaret....YES the external are far better than the internal...the internal are really only good enough for when you are in storage...meaning nobody inside breathing...if its summer time the internal will do at a pinch, a bit of privacy...and not a lot more as there are gaps at the side.....and the window exterior interior gets cold and so condensation:cry:

The External ones are far better as the normally wrap around the motorhome front window and both doors giving more privacy ...UNLESS somebody lifts it up...but the window glass is a lot warmer hence the condensation more or less disappears......this is ok if you are on a campsite or staying put for a long-ish time.....other wise what Brian has said is relevant if you needed to pull away quickly for what ever reason...it is not that easy, as most of them are trapped inside the door on custom cabs and press studs on "A" class......???

I prefer the Silver Screens...just my choice.

Fold them twice into the centre then roll up a bit of velcro and store in your shower cubicle.

Mel:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  20. deanroofing

deanroofing Funster

Deffo silver screen externals no condensation whatsoever and we were out in minus 16 one weekend, had a guy asking this weekend on site about them :thumb: from me.

• Like Like x 1