LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
My technical consultant (sundance) yes i know has strongly advised me not to self build. he suggested ' taylor made) its not that i doubt him, well not since the Enron 'hot tip'

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
they are always for sale second hand and you will get some for about half price or less what do you need ie; fiat, year, model.
ebay always has loads on there I got mine from silverscreens son (silverproducts)he sells sometimes on ebay they are a bit lighter and less bulky than taylormade but just as good and cheaper

Link Removed

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
my Taylormade is failing and only 3 years old

The Taylor made I have for my Ford E350 cab is not 3 years old yet and the silver (towards the screen) js starting to flake off.. we are in the South so the weather is not as bad as some places.. but we noticed it starting to happen this time last year when it was less than 2 years old and it has got worse.. heading for the dustbin in the not so distant future.:Angry:

May buy a Camos type which sell on Ebay from RV Spares for around £55.00

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Mr's R ran ours up, on a normal domestic sewing machine, we got the bits from C A K , I cut the templates, she knocked em up. (This was for our G reg A Class Pilote R750, our first, this time)

The Sheila at Silver Screens didn't want to know about "anything that old".

From memory it was just under £40 for all three screens

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Some interesting points raised here, we are just about to purchase the Taylor Made external silver screens:RollEyes:

Can see the security risk from having them external, but we're "swithering" what to do now because we were advised that the external ones were better than the internal ones from the insulation point of view.:Doh:

Bill & Margaret

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Some interesting points raised here, we are just about to purchase the Taylor Made external silver screens:RollEyes:

Can see the security risk from having them external, but we're "swithering" what to do now because we were advised that the external ones were better than the internal ones from the insulation point of view.:Doh:
Bill & Margaret

For 3 years full timing we bought the probably superior (for insulation and quality?) external screen cover and then created internal fixing points so we could use inside or out.

If you are on a camp site you could use them outside, if there is any doubt for security then inside, it worked a treat.

When the screen covers were used on the outside they insulated better for us, but not by a huge degree.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Interesting thread as we're just about t buy a set here. Values i need are good sun insulation, easy install, good cab protection when storing the camper and that they provide privacy

Had more or less decided on a Fiamma set of external ones

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
My technical consultant (sundance) yes i know has strongly advised me not to self build. he suggested ' taylor made) its not that i doubt him, well not since the Enron 'hot tip'

Dave... Can you be a little more precise.....are you talking self build Motorhome/Van conversion...then.... YES I AGREE FOR YOU A NO NO:Eeek:.....or are you talking a self build exterior SCREEN for your RAPIDO motorhome:Doh:....then I agree again for you a NO NO:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Now we had a Silver Screen on our other motorhome custom cab...and first class it was and well made, but I think Taylor made are just as good ...I think they are both made in the same town or if not very close to each other, may even be Family:Doh:

Mel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Interesting thread as we're just about t buy a set here. Values i need are good sun insulation, easy install, good cab protection when storing the camper and that they provide privacy

Had more or less decided on a Fiamma set of external ones

I have seen many exterior screen covers on our journeys......some very feeble German ones some just Ok....BUT I still think the Silver Screen and the Taylor made, take some beating for Quallity....plus you will see the two mentioned screen covers for sale second hand, when people have changed vans from custom build to a "A" class...and the screen cover is STILL has good as the day they were purchased...that means Quality fabric and well made screen covers:thumb:

Mel:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
IMO Internal screens are not worth buying, they don't do anything well. They do not stop condensation, they still let heat in when used as reflectors. External screens do both things very well. They stop a van heating up as well as totally prevent condensation and keep you warm in winter. As for security. if you are wild parking in a city then don't put them on. But for proper wild camping, rallies, and Regular campsite use etc. buy external screens.

We have had both makes over the years. silverScreens who only sell mail orderand don't do shows, and TaylorMade who attend the main shows. Both are good. Don't expect to get a smile out of the big fella at Taylor Made. A more miserable bloke youll never meet.

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Thanks for that Jim i will now be looking to buy external ones since i have only the internal ones and am tired of the condensation every morning:thumb:hopefuly i can pick some up at the Peterborough show.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Our van came with internal screens..
And right posh ones they are too. Someone spent a fortune on them !!

But after taking advice and getting sick of mopping up condensation in the mornings, I bought an external set from eBay for about £60.00

They are reasonable quality, get used one hell of a lot ( works out to ABOUT 7 months of the year ) and are now coming up to 4 years old without any signs of age at all

We no longer get a minor swamp in the front and they made a hellova a difference to the temperature in the van ( We had them at Waldergraves Rob but doubt you will remember them :Smile: )

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Hi Jaws, i do remember seeing yours cos thats where i thought that looks like a good idear to keep more light out, never thought it would stop the condensation though:Doh:now on my to buy list:thumb:as well as levelling thingys.

berkshire

Free Member
Feb 22, 2012
Leics
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Berkshire
Exp
4 years
We had a silverscreen external with a Topaz and did the same without the fixings. It already has the side window hook overs we then held it in place with the sunvisors. It was rigid enough to stay in place.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I have Taylor made screens and as already said wonderful for preventing condensation, my only minor gripe is that there a bugger to fold up to put away, as you try to roll them up they keep reinflating themselves, it's a 2man job!!

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Bill & Margaret

Bill and Margaret....YES the external are far better than the internal...the internal are really only good enough for when you are in storage...meaning nobody inside breathing...if its summer time the internal will do at a pinch, a bit of privacy...and not a lot more as there are gaps at the side.....and the window exterior interior gets cold and so condensation:cry:

The External ones are far better as the normally wrap around the motorhome front window and both doors giving more privacy ...UNLESS somebody lifts it up...but the window glass is a lot warmer hence the condensation more or less disappears......this is ok if you are on a campsite or staying put for a long-ish time.....other wise what Brian has said is relevant if you needed to pull away quickly for what ever reason...it is not that easy, as most of them are trapped inside the door on custom cabs and press studs on "A" class......???

I prefer the Silver Screens...just my choice.

Fold them twice into the centre then roll up a bit of velcro and store in your shower cubicle.

deanroofing

Free Member
Nov 20, 2011
bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2010
Deffo silver screen externals no condensation whatsoever and we were out in minus 16 one weekend, had a guy asking this weekend on site about them :thumb: from me.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Another vote for external SilverScreens here. Excellent quality, easy to fit and no condensation all through the winter. :Smile:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I would go Silver Screens the longest that we had a set was 4/5 seasons and sold with the van, but no problems with them

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Don't expect to get a smile out of the big fella at Taylor Made. A more miserable bloke youll never meet.

Ah...that might have been the stand at Malvern in 2010. I think I detected a smile as I walked up...

...and then I asked if he did screens for more unusual vehicles...

...and then I mentioned "Fiat Doblo"...

...and then I left :RollEyes:

DMS

Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Feb 2, 2008
Funster No
MH
Concorde 850L
Exp
Time Began
Hi All
I have a pair of external silver screens for 2002 - 2007 fiat ducato I've only used them once complete with bag ect ect £30 I can bring them to Peterborough show if anyone wants them. They won't fit my new van :Sad:
Regards
Alan

DMS

Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Feb 2, 2008
Funster No
MH
Concorde 850L
Exp
Time Began
Hi All
I have a pair of external silver screens for 2002 - 2007 fiat ducato I've only used them once complete with bag ect ect £30 I can bring them to Peterborough show if anyone wants them. They won't fit my new van :Sad:
Regards
Alan

Sold

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Bill and Margaret....YES the external are far better than the internal...the internal are really only good enough for when you are in storage...meaning nobody inside breathing...if its summer time the internal will do at a pinch, a bit of privacy...and not a lot more as there are gaps at the side.....and the window exterior interior gets cold and so condensation:cry:

The External ones are far better as the normally wrap around the motorhome front window and both doors giving more privacy ...UNLESS somebody lifts it up...but the window glass is a lot warmer hence the condensation more or less disappears......this is ok if you are on a campsite or staying put for a long-ish time.....other wise what Brian has said is relevant if you needed to pull away quickly for what ever reason...it is not that easy, as most of them are trapped inside the door on custom cabs and press studs on "A" class......???

I prefer the Silver Screens...just my choice.

Fold them twice into the centre then roll up a bit of velcro and store in your shower cubicle.

Thanks for this! We were away in the van a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty cold at night, but not freezing, there were 3 of us in the mh on the first night and the condensation on the windscreen was pretty bad.

The second night it was just the two of us and it wasn't too bad at all. As long as there's not too much "heavy breathing" we should be ok :ROFLMAO:
We've got the curtains that pull right around the front of the windscreen and the front door windows and that helps a lot. So the silver screens would really be more for insulation than privacy, as the curtains are great for that:thumb:

We are going to use the mh all year, so it won't be going into storage over winter, as it's now our sole vehicle.

So I reckon it will be the Silver Screens for us as well:thumb:

Bill & Margaret:Smile:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
We have a Taylormade external screen and it has made a huge difference to solving condensation. Not living that far away from them we went to the factory/house to collect it. Yes he is a big bloke, and he does smile, especially when he takes your money !!! Well, he is from Yorkshire :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:.

I can fold it on my own quite easily, it's when I try to get it in the bag that the fight starts. I've won every time so far, but I may have introduced people to words they may not have heard before. :Blush:

Overall, it is a very good product and far more effective than closing the curtains.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We have external Silver Screens which although are ok, they are not designed to be left on for long periods.

Silver Screens of Cleckheaton have changed the type of material used to manufacture them. It used to be a solvent based material and is now a water based one.

They could not tell me exactly when they changed but admitted the current water based material was no where near as weatherproof as the old solvent based ones.

They, when I contacted them, likened the screens to a winter coat, saying you wouldn't leave it on all the time, it needs to be taken inside and dried out.

Its a big backward step if you ask me, the old, original Silver Screens were brilliant weatherwise, indestructible, the new ones are rubbish in comparison.

Not good for us long termers/fulltimers in winter are they?

Paul.

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
We bought Silverscreens when we got the van.

They have proved excellent in stopping condensation throughout the van abd have a significant effect on how warm the van stays.

Do buy the paragon type as they allow you to fold down the front screen allowing light in during the day.

Would agree with using them on campsites and true wild camping, but not in bult up street areas.

Would not use them in storage or long term outside use as not sure how wet they would get over time, but then we do not full time or stay in one place for many weeks at time!

Overall money very well spent:thumb:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We bought Silverscreens when we got the van.

Would not use them in storage or long term outside use as not sure how wet they would get over time, but then we do not full time or stay in one place for many weeks at time!

Overall money very well spent:thumb:

Horses for courses, good for you Bob but not good for us:cry:. We have a set for our old van which are more robust.

Overall money NOT well spent for us, Silver Screens said they had to change the material to an inferior one to comply with some sort of regulation.

Could the real reason be the inferior stuff is much CHEAPER:winky:

Paul.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back