Silly Question (1 Viewer)

Aug 24, 2013
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745SE
Exp
Hi folks, as a rank beginner just completing my first great year with a Bailey 745SE I am planning to soon put the truck to bed and head off to warmer climes until I start again next spring.

If I leave the truck permanently connected to the house mains will it keep the vehicle and leisure batteries in good condition ? I asked the question on Baileys website but they ignored me :Sad: Perhaps it was too silly a question ? ANY responses gratefully received.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I have always understood that for a batery to be maintained in a good condition it should be fully discharged and then recharged every now and then, could be I am incorrect in my understanding.

On a personnel basis I would not want to leave my vehicle connected to the mains supply for any extended period.

I know that people can be connected to an EHU for a long time when on sites but at the same time they are using the electrical items within their campers, therefore the batteries are doing some work.

Is there no one who could pop in every now and then and run the engine for a while, say 30 mins or so, which at the same time as charging the batteries would circulate the waters and oils.

Leaving an engine unrun for an extended period can do quite a bit of long term damage so I am led to believe.

Upvote 0

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Personally, I would remove the batteries, store indoors, check the fluid level, and store indoors connected to something like this. :Smile:

Link Removed

Not running the engine will not hurt for 3 months or so. Our car has just stood for a similar period, when we were away, yet again, again, again and again, in our RV. :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Cant say if its right or not but i have left my vehicle connected to EHU in indoor storage for up to 9 months without any problems . I do ask the owner to start it once a month and move it a quarter turn to stop flat spots

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi you can leave it connected without problem :thumb:Mine is on hook up 24/7 at home -your charger will keep your battery topped upin a maintaince mode :thumb:I also have a small ALDI/LIDL (£12 ish) type 3 way charger connected to the vehicle so that the alarm etc does not flatten the engine battery---you could always spend about £300/400 to have a posh Sterling type battery to battery charger that does more or less the same job (keeping both batterys charged):winky:If you don't fancy either, then take batterys poss terminal off and leave it for 3/4 mths all will be ok :thumb:
terry

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Hi folks, as a rank beginner just completing my first great year with a Bailey 745SE I am planning to soon put the truck to bed and head off to warmer climes until I start again next spring.

If I leave the truck permanently connected to the house mains will it keep the vehicle and leisure batteries in good condition ? I asked the question on Baileys website but they ignored me :Sad: Perhaps it was too silly a question ? ANY responses gratefully received.

You can do this if you have a permanent float charger system
If you did as you suggest you run thd risk of drying out your batteries
Fit a marine charger. With recycle system

Drain all water or you will get bursts pipes

You could fit a plug timer so the power comes on for a set time every few days. Depending on the timer you get

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back