Sikaflex

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Figaro, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Figaro

Figaro Funster

I seem to have a small (I hope) leak in the roof area below the Oyster dish.
    I'm going to start by sealing around the mounting plate as there seem to be bolts going into roof and water may be getting underneath plate ?
    Question is which sealant ? Setting or non setting please.
    Next step will be to alter cable conduit as it's arranged to allow water pooling at the moment.
    TIA

2. Manic

Manic Funster

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Sikaflex 512 is the popular one about £11.00 max, shop around, some short shelf life stock sells cheaper

I use Sikaflex all weather or Sikaflex EBT Wite /Grey/or Black From Screwfix at 2/3rd the price of 512
    as both adhesive and sealer, not lost a solar Panel or Sat system yet
    Ya pays ya Money and takes ya choice
    G

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

That doesn't read like non setting to me, it says it "cures" and "no need for additional fixings" so it is a setting adhesive.

@Figaro lifting the plate and putting in on again with a setting sealant would be the best bet but failing that I would say a setting sealant around the plate and any screws that could allow water in.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

The 'bolts' you see don't pass through the roof - they are captive studs in the mounting plate which is normally simply glued to the roof. A more likely entry point is where the cable enters the vehicle.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

My preference has always been non setting, that way the natural tendacy to flex on the roof is always watertight. Good luck with the job.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

@Figaro I've got half a tube of Sikaflex 512 left after my solar panel mounting activities this week and I'll be driving up the M6 on Sunday. If you want it we could meet up at a services or somewhere else convenient. The stuff is white in colour and won't keep so it will go in the bin if I can't find a home for it.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

A setting sealant won't flex with the roof in hot & cold situations whereas a non-setting sealant will, we used a non-setting one around a roof light a few years back and it's fine, took the roof light off, cleaned all the area then re-set it with the sealant!

9. Figaro

Figaro Funster

That`s a very generous offer but I`m planning a weekend at Castleton as a first run out of the year.
    If you wish to post it I`ll reimburse you for the postage ?
    Let me know and I`ll pm you my address.
    I just love this site ! (y)
    Chris

10. Figaro

Figaro Funster

I had looked at the cable entry point and the sealant does look a bit messy but it`s some distance from where the leak is showing. The area around the cables internally is dry but I suppose it could travel. If the plate isnt bolted then I`m not sure where leak is from. I`ll Just have to go through a process of sealing as much as I can. Removing the dish seems rather difficult and my be pointless if it`s not bolted.
    Cheers Chris

11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I've just checked and I can send it to you for £2.80. PM me your address and I'll post it tomorrow. If it arrives and is usable - I think it is - put a couple of quid in a charity box, your local hospice for example. :)

• Like Like x 3
  12. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

They all have a bit is elasticity so are fine for permanently fixing and if indeed there are no other fixings for the alloy mounting plate to the roof then is has to be a good flexible adhesive like we all use for sticking solar panels on with. Non setting mastics tend to be used for Windows and things that might need to be removed at some time in the future.

Martin

• Like Like x 1