Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Due to upgrading my solar panel I needed to remove the satellite dish. I had not been shy with the Sikaflex when fitting it so I was not expecting a simple job! After a little help from Mr Google I found an American product claiming to aid Sikaflex removal, and after further searching found a very helpful and knowledgeable company retailing the product. Now it's not the cheapest thing in the world but in for a penny .... I went for it. Having watched a video on how to use the stuff I clambered on the motorhome room and set to.
Firstly I knifed around under the panel base plate with a Stanley as recommended, Sprayed the release on and left it for a good 5 minutes and then repeated knife and further spray, this time waiting more like 10 minutes. The base plate was roughly 18" square so used a brick trowel to begin working under the plate on the 3 edges I could get at. As the plate began to give I wedged various objects under to give just a little upward pressure with further applications of the release spray as I worked.
The spray wasn't a miracle cure devouring the Sikaflex but it did soften it to a stringy chewing gum consistency making it a fairly simple job of cutting through the 'strings'
Total removal time, not rushing, was about an hour, and no damage whatsoever to the motorhome roof or the base plate.
A quick wash down with soapy water is all that is required to get rid of the release spray enabling me to put a cover plate on over the area.
The spray is DeBond Marine Formula Polyurethane Sikaflex Remover
I bought from Marinestore, Maldon Essex.
Available in 2 sizes 4oz and 12oz, I bought the larger with post it was about £30 but worth every penny

OP
OP
Merle

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
No not this time Geo, I've used that method before but it didn't work this time even with the release spray. Don't forget the base plate is 18" square and I couldn't get all around it

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Wimp:D you only need access to three sides:doh:
its off thats the main thing, and the roof is still where it should be:clap2::Eeek:

OP
OP
Merle

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
There's no explaining to those who don't want to listen :)
Access was limited to 3 sides but was such that I could only use the cheese wire from the edge in front of me, so needing to 'push' it away from me, it just wasn't possible to 'pull' towards me. Believe me I tried!!
But yes it's off, undamaged, and advertised for sale in Classifieds

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I had this same problem when i come to remove one of my panels to make room for an awning, must have took me hours chip chip chipping away with a Stanley blade before i got just one bracket released, went an bought a cheese wire and did the other 3 brackets in less than a couple of minutes - i was amazed to say the least - so a good tip if you wanna get sika off - just get a cheese wire out :LOL::LOL: an it cost about £3 off Amazon ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back