Sikaflex confusion!

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by stevec, Sep 14, 2015.

1. stevec

stevec Funster

I have two 130W panels to attach to the roof of my Burstner. Is there a recommended type of Sikaflex to use? I used 512 on my last panel (120W) and that seemed ok. But I see that other people are using other types. I used 512 because I could get it locally if I ran out while fitting.

2. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Used 512 lots of times.. No issues. I have read others say 552 No idea what the difference is..
    On my last panel I used something from Toolstation as recommended by @Terry .

3. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Yes I generally use 512

4. Wickolad

Wickolad Funster

I've too have used 512 with no problems, I recently did a bit of resealing with the stuff from Toolstation, called PU40, appears to have all the qualities of 512 but at half the price, currently £4.04 per 330ml tube.

5. andy63

andy63 Funster

Started off using sikaflex but then tried other makes of polyurethane adhesives from the likes of soudal and others .. .They seemed every bit as good at a fraction of cost.. so as long as it's a pu adhesive it should do the job.
    Ta Andy.

6. stevec

stevec Funster

When I get reports from other PU adhesive users that have fixed solar panels with them then I may try them. But think I'll stick to Sikaflex for the moment.

7. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

Email the two materials you are going to bond together to technical@uk.sika.com
    I did and got a reply within minutes.

8. andy63

andy63 Funster

That's all I was trying to say ... I've used pu adhesives from soudal and srarchem for fitting panels and both have done the job..and not that it's that important to me but at a fraction of cost of sikaflex.. hence my conclusion that as long as it's a pu adhesive it should do the job
    Ta andy

Attached Files:

9. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

10. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

We used to bond body panels and the like using Sikaflex and other brands that were supplied with the body kits. Never did have any come back with Sikaflex but some of the others were not very long lasting before lifting at the edges.
    Since then I have decided to pay the price for the good stuff and be confident I won't be redoing the job.
    The last solar panel I fitted cost £10:50 for the Sikaflex and I threw away the adhesive sent with the panel!

11. stevec

stevec Funster

Thanks for your input everyone. Sikaflex 512 now acquired locally as has the 2 by 2 aluminium angle. £7.95 a tube. Cheapest I could find on Ebay was over £11. When I asked how they could do it so cheap they say it's because they spend £500,000 a year with Sikaflex. UKsealants in Norwich.