LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I intend fitting a second solar panel but to to make space on the roof I shall have to move the existing panel which has been fixed down with Sikaflex.

Any ideas on how to remove the Sikaflex, preferably without the use of a chainsaw, would be appreciated.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I stress that I have not done this myself but I understand you can slip a thin, sharp blade (or one of those wire saws) between the bracket and the roof and cut through the cured Sikaflex...

JJ :Cool:[

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I stress that I have not done this myself but I understand you can slip a thin, sharp blade (or one of those wire saws) between the bracket and the roof and cut through the cured Sikaflex...

JJ :Cool:[

Thanks for that JJ ...... I did experiment with a Stanley Knife but found the sealant too hard. Hopefully there is some way of softening the Sikaflex first.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I used a full length of guitar string. wrapped it around two short lengths of dowel and pulled it through the gap.

Came off really easily.

Cleaned it up with a sharp chisel and then some spirit (can't remember the chemical sorry)

dottyju

Free Member
Sep 1, 2012
nottingham
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
since 2006
Removing Sikaflex

I have just removed my panels before part-exchanging the MH and then decided to reove the brackets which were sikaflexed-only, no screws to the roof skin.
Fortunately I had bonded the brackets on following the instructions to ensure the sika was 1-2mm thick using some small washers buried in the sika to give approx 1mm thickness,

I used a length of nylon kit-string but any multi-strand nylon or maybe strong cotton will do the job.
Just use it as a cheese-wire 'sawing' it back and forth. take your time and keep changing it if it frays/snaps.

Removing the remaining sicka from the roof ( if you really need to ) will be difficult without damaging the roof surface as I don't know of anything that will remove this cured bonding agent.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Strong fishing line if you know a fisherman works ok as above

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I intend fitting a second solar panel but to to make space on the roof I shall have to move the existing panel which has been fixed down with Sikaflex.

Any ideas on how to remove the Sikaflex, preferably without the use of a chainsaw, would be appreciated.

I used extensively Tech T7 when I built my campervan, simply amazing new product of the M7 Polymers...same as the Marine Sikaflex but in my opinion far better cheaper, more flexible, do as the other posters say but if you can, use a gentle hot air gun setting to warm up the area, I then use T7 adhesive remover to clean up:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back