Sigma S34 alarm goes off most days at the same time. Any ideas? (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I had a Sigma S34 alarm fitted to our Carthago by Elite in June, and whilst we were using the van regularly there were no problems and all seemed fine. However, now that it's got colder and the van is parked on our drive I have noticed that the alarm (thankfully a really weedy siren) seems to go off for 30 seconds most mornings between 10.30 and 11.00 am then re sets itself. It doesn't go off again during the day as far as I can tell.

I can't get Sigma's manufacturers to reply to my emailed technical queries so wondered if anyone had any ideas why it does this? Everything is secure, there is nothing moving inside, all air vents are closed etc. I don't really want to turn off the internal sensors as this would lessen the level of protection but it may be necessary. I don't see how it's connected but the alarm seems to be going off as the van warms up?

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I suppose it depends on the type of movement sensors that are fitted.
Could they be sensing the air movement as it heats up and rises?

Richard.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
I once had the same situation on a Toyota Camry which occurred from new. The alarm would go off for no apparent reason at least once a day.

I had booked it into Toyota to see if they could resolve the problem.

Thinking about it we realised that it often went off in the morning when parked on the drive. On one occasion we were on a day trip to Calais and in Carrefor when our son phoned to say the alarm was going on the car which was on the drive. I told him I could not hear it. It was at this point I realised that it could be the sun shining on the bonnet causing a slight movement and setting the alarm off.

The next morning I had to leave very early to drive to Glasgow and the person I was visiting was interested in the car as he was due for a change and it was on the list of vehicles he could choose from.

Whilst he was looking at it I told him about the alarm problem and when we lifted the bonnet he suggested we looked at the alarm switch. When we looked at it it became apparent that the screws holding it had not been fully tightened. Once this was done the problem disappeared.

It did make me wonder how many other screws were loose. No comments please!!!!!

Doug

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> Sigma S34 alarm goes off most days at the same time.

What a delicious problem. First question is it always in the same location ?

Then, do you know of any close electric gadgets with a timer in them ?

Or for that matter have you any nearby electric timers, like on a heater or charger ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's not near the external vent for your central heating boiler is it? The heat from that could be causing an issue ... or you've got a very large spider inside that gets up at that time every day .... :eek:

Seriously though, try moving the van to somewhere else and see if it happens then, if not then it has to be an 'environmental' issue with where/how you park it normally.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
is it a wireless sensor with a battery that may be on its limit and as it gets colder or warmer it could cause a difference in voltage setting the alarm off

Twos company

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 25, 2008
Boroughbridge
Funster No
MH
VW transporter
Exp
25+
i had a similar fault on my rapido it turned out to be the bonnet sensor had pushed through the soundproofing try extending the sensor a few turns to make it a more solid contact

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Of all the times it's gone off, has anyone shown any interest or called the Police ? :whistle:

OP
OP
BobtheBass
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Of all the times it's gone off, has anyone shown any interest or called the Police ? :whistle:
No! Everyone round here has house alarms that go off regularly so I seem to be the only one who goes out to check when I hear them. My neighbour across the road gives me a nice bottle of red each time I check his out!
I can't really move the van anywhere else as there is just the one spot on the drive, and I don't have the heating or anything electrical on at all. I think it must be the movement of air inside the van as it warms up as everything else seems ok? I have been disappointed by the alarm manufacturers lack of interest in the problem, and the next step would seem to be to contact Elite who arranged for it to be fitted before supply to me. I wish I had gone to Vanbitz!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... they'd be a bit crap though it they visited at the same time every day rather than just nick it!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
No! Everyone round here has house alarms that go off regularly so I seem to be the only one who goes out to check when I hear them. My neighbour across the road gives me a nice bottle of red each time I check his out!
I can't really move the van anywhere else as there is just the one spot on the drive, and I don't have the heating or anything electrical on at all. I think it must be the movement of air inside the van as it warms up as everything else seems ok? I have been disappointed by the alarm manufacturers lack of interest in the problem, and the next step would seem to be to contact Elite who arranged for it to be fitted before supply to me. I wish I had gone to Vanbitz!
Why not ask a neighbour to swap parking places for a day and see if that helps?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If you have a PIR, how about a shadow at that time of day ? A shadow through a tree even better.
If the OP does as I've suggested and MOVE the flipping thing it will resolve a lot of those types of queries .... surely it's the first thing to do rather than try to get all technical about it and/or get the dealer involved for what might NOT be a fault.

@BobtheBass get off your flaming fishing stool and move the flipping thing!!! :xgrin:

OP
OP
BobtheBass
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
If the OP does as I've suggested and MOVE the flipping thing it will resolve a lot of those types of queries .... surely it's the first thing to do rather than try to get all technical about it and/or get the dealer involved for what might NOT be a fault.

@BobtheBass get off your flaming fishing stool and move the flipping thing!!! :xgrin:
Yes miss! Ooo you are so forceful Mel........ Its only under a tree though, with no PIR fitted in the system. :xThumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes miss! Ooo you are so forceful Mel........ Its only under a tree though, with no PIR fitted in the system. :xThumb:
Humour me and TRY IT!!!! :xThumb:

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Sounds like a sensor fault. Possibly the ultrasonic transducers if no PIR fitted. Could be a build up of warming air, slight pressure changes. Perhaps leaving a window cracked slightly open to test?

Sigma make good alarms, Mel's idea is worth a try

OP
OP
BobtheBass
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
There is no PIR, just ultrasonic detectors unfortunately. I could switch them off to experiment but am a bit concerned if that might cause problems with my insurance that stipulates a Cat 1 alarm must be operational for theft cover to continue. Would disabling the sensors mean the alarm no longer met Cat 1?

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Agreed, you don't want any insurance issues. Why not slip a jiffy bag or something over the detectors one by one to try to isolate which one is triggering your alarm/eliminate a control unit malfunction?

I suspect it will use a form of volumetric detection, which basically looks for air disturbance. I gather the usual problems are location of the detectors, e,g, gathering condensation or pointing towards an area where air would be disturbed by direct heating (windows). A simple issue such as closing a blind might resolve the problem

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I had the same problem with a Strikeback alarm going off about 10am. I replaced the reed-switch sensor on the engine cover, which solved the problem.

If you have a plunger type switch on the engine cover, give it a good clean to prevent tracking and creating a closed circuit (a spray with WD40 would probably help). I would think it is condensation forming around the plunger switch as the engine bay warms up.

Also make sure the plunger switch is adjusted properly so that the switch is fully open with the engine cover closed.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Now that is a sensible suggestion.

A spider cost me no end of trouble (and cost) with my home PIRs. Same would apply to transducers :xThumb:
I did suggest it might be a spider setting it off .... a GIGANTIC ONE!!! :xgrin:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
There is no PIR, just ultrasonic detectors unfortunately. I could switch them off to experiment but am a bit concerned if that might cause problems with my insurance that stipulates a Cat 1 alarm must be operational for theft cover to continue. Would disabling the sensors mean the alarm no longer met Cat 1?
Your insurance shouldn't be voided by turning off the internal sensors, the Cat 1 requirement is to do with the immobiliser and perimeter alarm I believe, not internal sensors so turning them off shouldn't affect your insurance cover.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back