Sights on route to Dordogne?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by John and Cheryl, Apr 18, 2013.

1. John and Cheryl

John and Cheryl Read Only Funster

Travelling to Dordogne later this year and trying to find interesting sights or pretty villages/towns on the way down. Starting from west of Paris rather than travelling straight down the centre, I have read that along the road between Blois and Tours has some chateaux. Can anyone recommend this detour? not necessarily to visit them but just to be able to see them from the road. I am also looking at the website for prettiest villages of France.

Many thanks Cheryl

2. frankhanna

frankhanna

Dordogne

Hi Cheryl,

The route you are taking is beautiful…So many chateaux to see and you would do very well to meander slowly through that area. Make your you see Chamborrd.

I have done what you are contemplating and it is fabulous.

A great site on the banks of the Loire is http://www.campingisleverte.com/content/gb/accueil/1 and pitches 3, 4 or 5 are top notch.

After that its an easy drive to a super site in the Vendee Campsite de la Venise Verte **** www.camping-laveniseverte.fr A very nice spot.

When you get to the Dordogne try Camping de la Bastide in Sainte Foy la Grande. You can see loads of stuff on my blog because I have just come from there and there is a lot of stuff. Http://www.frankhanna.com/blog/ hope you enjoy it.

Earlier in the blog there is stuff on the route we took this time including Mont St Michel.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Frank

• Like Like x 1
  3. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi Cheryl,
    Amboise nice Chateau aire and campsite just across (island in the middle) the Loire, Also Brantome well worth a visit nice aire and town with river cruise or canoe the river.
    Terry:sin:

4. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Montreuil-Bellay has a lovely Aire right next to the River. Nice restaurant next to it. I always start my French trips here.

If you don't mind a bit of Zig Zagging then Il-de-re is great for a couple of days.

I frequently stop in Blaye on the way down. You can park on the sea front right next to the castle.

I have loads of favourite places on the way down but those are the ones that stand out for me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Parcverger

Parcverger Funster - Campsite Owner

From Tours you can head down to the Limousin, and if you google Route Richard Coeur de Lion you will find a fascinating tour that will occupy you for a couple of days. If you like chateaux you'll find plenty around here, and we have some of the most beautiful villages - you may already have identified them in your researches. Stopover with us at Parc Verger by all means - there is always a special welcome (and a discount) for Funsters - and our book of places of interest could keep you occupied for weeks!!!:BigGrin:
    Bob
    www.parcverger.com

6. Detnor

Detnor Funster

Hi

Can I second the site at Montsoreau
    "A great site on the banks of the Loire is http://www.campingisleverte.com/content/gb/accueil/1 and pitches 3, 4 or 5 are top notch."

Watch out for the midgies in September!, decent Chateau 10 minute walk from the site, several bars and restaurants, within minutes walk. There is a bus that goes from the village into Saumur that stops outside the site, the tourist information office opposite the site can give details.

There is an aire between Montsoreau and Saumur that used to be a commercial site, but it was packed last time we were there.

7. Xabia

Xabia Funster

8. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

One of the problems with Les Plus Beaux Villages is, once a village becomes one, it turns into a tourist destination with all the tacky signs and gift shops that ruin it.:BigGrin:

Mike.

• Like Like x 1