Side Window

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Munchie, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Hi, the window in the side of my van is as much use as a catflap in a spaceship. You cannot open it in hot weather as the hab door opens across it. Now the question is, "is it possible to have a sliding window made to replace it and would the cost be prohibitive? Thanks in advance. :Smile:

2. Pat4Neil

Pat4Neil Read Only Funster

Hi Ken

Funny enough we are designing a self build, and luckily enough I picked up the design fault before we placed the order as the door came across the kitchen window too.

We have ordered a sliding window instead.

You might be better if its a standard size contacting seitz, or whoever manufactured the window to see if it can be done, you might have to just replace the whole window, not a problem if a standard size, but depends on how new your van is and warranty etc.

Bear in mind that the sliding windows only slide half way so although its better than nothing it is more restricted, I think also that the slide should be a certain way, not sure of the top of my head if its the same direction as the driving or the other way.

Good luck

Pat

You could try rainbow conversions

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  3. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

My response Ken is "Why bother" spend your money on something more exciting, like Steph!
    • The window does not open in hot weather.
    • In hot weather the door the door opens across it.
    The door is open so plenty of fresh air, presumably other windows are open too, if not, then open them.

If the door opens across it then it is unlikely any significant amount of fresh air will enter the van even if it opened.

When you have spent a large amount of money I am not sure you will gain more fresh air or anything else.

Mmmm........ wonder if this is why the manufacturers made it a fixed window?

Norman

4. laneside

laneside Funster

Oi---------On the two days when you are lucky enough for it to be so hot------go and sit outside---so much better than creating a potential leaky van

5. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

surely ken the window being fixed is a good thing, if you put a slider in there just think how easy it will then be to break into then van whilst it is parked up. Now i could understand you wanting a 'stable' type door where by you could have the top open and the bottom closed. (Still think they are the best type of doors) but a sliding window naw not worth the hassle.

6. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

ksebruce does not say the window is fixed.

I imagine it is the normal opening type which cannot open when the door is open because it is across the window.

In the Pilote range, I had an aventura which was like this. The more expensive reference with the same layout had a sliding window instead of the normal opening window.

So it's a cost saving measure in the manufacture of the van.

I'd live with it.

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I presume if the window is open the door can impact on it.. yes ?

If so, I would change, as it's only a matter of time until it gets damaged, either by the door being caught by a gust of wind or by someone having a 'senior' moment .. and in all probability also damage the door.. If that's not the case then I wouldn't bother.

There should be a Seitz sliding window with the same dimensions .. making it an easy change over..

http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/Caravan/ventilation/Seitz_windows.aspx

8. Munchie

Thanks Jim I will look into that. :thumb:

Don't know why folks assumed it was not an "opener" :Eeek:

Here is a pic you can see the door a 1/3 of the way across the window. I am thinking of a sliding window opening from the left. Here is a piccie. :Doh:

Attached Files:

9. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

I have a sliding window, except it dosnt slide its stuck, Im not sure there a good idea, its only worked once:Doh:

10. EthnGeoff

EthnGeoff Funster

We have a sliding window behind the door and we do get wind noise and a draught from where the two panes overlap. I would be tempted to leave as is, although it is annoying when these design faults come to light.
    Geoff.

11. aba

aba

hi ken ours has a sliding window that the front part opens so would be ideal so you can get them.
    you could always swap the hinges over on the door so it opens the other way :Rofl1::Rofl1:

12. alan

alan Funster

Windows

HI Ken
    Our Autotrail has the same design fault and we have learnt to live with it and don,t use that window.
    Swift have put some sort of a strut on there models with this fault and it stops the door going back over the window which I personally think is worse than the originall fault:thumb:
    alan

13. wasp

wasp Funster

As I see it you got two choices ,take the door off an swop the inges to the other side,or get hack saw out an cut door in half then you can open the bottom half an still have the windy open, simples, if you need any more diy tips you only need to ask:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

14. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Ken from looking at your pic I don't think they make a slider that size :Sad: but that is easy to check from Jim's link :thumb: It is a easy job to change the window although they are £300 plus and they no longer make the older style you have.Having said that http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/ or http://www.magnummotorhomes.co.uk/ may well have stock of them in :thumb:
    terry

15. Munchie

Having looked at the prices and me being Scottish I have decided to leave well enough alone. :Eeek: Thanks for the replies. :thumb:

16. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

no surprise there then... :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: