side facing seat passengers

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by dennismartin, Sep 11, 2011.

1. dennismartin

dennismartin Read Only Funster

no seat belts
    is it ok or against the law?

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

See Here and other threads (including recent ones) for a summary. Don't forget special requirements for children in any vehicle.

3. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi weather its law or not would you want to sit in the back with no seat belt or worse sit kids there. Here is a link to let you see i know it says aircraft sidefacing but think how it would be with no seatbelts or wall there to stop them.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5zVniK2tkE[/ame]

4. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

For goodness' sake, I just cannot go along with this claptrap. Yes, of course there is a risk, but how serious is this risk. I well remember driving along the South Bank in London with my two children in the back fighting whilst I was trying desperately to bash them as I drove, in the 70s. That was pre the legislation that struck fear into everybody's heart if they were driving without being strapped in. Of course, there is no doubt that being strapped in has saved lives and some people may ask 'but are you prepared to take the risk?' as if my family's lives are of less value to me if I am prepared to take the risk, but I just cannot be of the panic brigade. My van does not have seat belts in the back because it has side benches, but recently my daughter drove to Whitby with my eldest granddaughter in the passenger seat and I was in the back with the youngest and we had a great holiday together. This would not have been possible if the 'but are you prepared to take the risk' brigade had snuck into my head.

Yes we were, yes we had a great time and yes, we will do it again. b-----er off the scary brigade. :BigGrin:

Ivy

• Like Like x 13
  5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi, i agree with loujess. i was taken all over europe in campervans with no belts as a child . my kids all over europe . have never had a camper with seat belts in the back. now my truck does have them fitted in the back .but not in the front. i took them out not required on a 2000vehicle like mine . left the rears but you cant see them .hardly carry anyone anyway. my kids are now in their 30,s but cant believe the fuss. most of my cars never had belts . built trikes so no belts or crash helmets required. at the time that was the reason i got into trike building. wouldnt wear a crash hat on m,bike if it wasnt law. freedom and freedom of choice. where as it gone.

• Like Like x 2
  6. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi Lou this seems to have hit a nerve that certainly wasnt meant but it is purely up to the individual if they are prepared to take the risk. So without giving them an opinion it may help if you point out some risks so they can make that choice with better info.

If you where meaning my post at no point did i give my personal opinion on this just some info to help the op i certainly dont think its claptrap to point out a risk. i am 100% sure your family mean as much to you as mine do to me and i was a kid who travled in the back while my dad tried to bash us. ( cant bash kids now though :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:. )

I think it is better to point things out to help people make their decisions as id hate for them to buy a mh then be scared to use it once they realised the risk involved thats all just trying to help them. Risks will always be there no matter what we do but its how you manage them that count i for one would not let my daughter sit in a rear lounge of a mh while driving. Thats is only my opinion doesnt make me better than you or vice versa.

vwalan i totally agree with you about freedom of choice but surely the more info you have good or bad makes that choice easier, as for wearing a helmet i even wear one on my push bike but thats my choice :Rofl1:

Love
    The scary brigade:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  7. dc6947

dc6947 Read Only Funster

I'm all for abolishing the health and safety nonsense that is floating around right now, but i don't think this particular risk is one i'd personally take with my own daughter/family. Each to their own i guess.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Swift

Swift

What right does an adult have to put a child at risk? yourself, your choice no problem.

It doesn't have to be your fault that caused the accident, there are a lot of idiots out there, like ones I see with children in the cars with no seat belts on!

I had a Land Rover Defender with rear side facing seats, having seen the injuries to passengers in one of these I sold it and bought a Discovery, side facing accident at 70mph your dead! With a front facing seat and belt you have a chance!

9. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Is it against the law?
    If it is which I think it ought to be IMHO then there is no choice end of.

SO is it illegal?

10. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

nearly every bus i have travelled on have side facing seats, i have sat in these and so have many old people , they even have spaces now for wheel chairs facing sideways,

11. artona

artona

Bailey have been testing their new motorhome recently and during the first test the dummy sat in the drivers seat was deemed dead after a 30mph head on. He was seat belted in but it was the flying fridge and cabinets that killed him as they continued at 30mph after the vehicle was stopped. They don't mention this in their report but I heard it from an eye witness. They have continued with their testing to make sure their motorhome will be as safe as possible.

click here

And as safe as possible is the key phrase. I personally take care when I go into restaurants, I reckon a quick death in a car accident is preferable to a slow one through food poisoning. Its pretty dangerous crossing the road, Jessica fell off her pony the other day, I don't buy newspapers anymore because stress is deadly. I don't go on exhilarating fairground rides incase one of the young lads did not do all the connections up fully etc etc

As far as seatbelts are concerned I would travel in the back with out seatbelts and I would allow others to. I would not have Jessica sat there unless she had an adult, she would always be in a car seat strapped in but only because as a child her reactions might not be good enough.

I reckon its a personal choice though.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Swift

Swift

How many of these travel at 70mph on motorways or other roads?

Use common sense not just the law!

As I said I don't give two hoots about the arrogant individual it is the little young innocents cought up with these people that lose their lives out of no choice if their own, a bit like the filthy horrible murdering people that smoke in cars with children, no law (yet) but absolutely outrageous, these type of people should be exterminated!

13. artona

artona

Purely on a technical issue if you get a takeaway and eat it as you drive down the motorway if you are doing 70 mph then so is it. :BigGrin::BigGrin:

A death is a death whatever causes it.

14. Swift

Swift

'hopefully' the take away is not alive!

15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Just done some Googling and found This Web Page which includes an interesting point:

16. artona

artona

I always hope that too :Smile::Smile:

17. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

Apart from strict rule of law and using common sense, Grahams point re insurance should make you stop in your tracks, if you are seriously thinking about it.

In the event of an accident insurance companies will use any excuse to void it for other than third party risk, and some would even void it completely given the circumstances.

18. artona

artona

It depends on whats in your actual insurance not whats said on the internet! :Wink::Wink:

19. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi .i dont think the insurers will bother. if the law allows it then when you underwrite you take in to consideration the law.
    i dont mot my truck .when it got hit by a third party in portugal my insurers asked to see the mot. i told them it was exempt . they checked came back and said all ok and carried on with the sorting out. some policey,s do say vehicle mut be motted . but now most say kept in road worthy condition.just as well as an mot isnt a certificate of roadworthyness.
    but if you dont need seat belts you dont have to fit them . my truck doesnt have seat belts in the front not required so not fitted. still doesnt effect insurance.
    cheers alan.

20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Absolutely - but with a grey area which has the potential for a loophole it's well worth checking before rather than regretting after :Smile:

• Like Like x 1