Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
Northampton & Calvados Fr
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Returned home from our second trip away in our 2008 Elddis 130 I went to unlock the van entry door but inadvertently did not push the key completely into the lock before turning. Although only 4/5th in the key turned and the lock has jammed. We can't open it from inside either so we had an enjoyable time unloading through the cab!

I am sure it is possible to remove the lock from inside but before I set to with my jemmy and lump hammer I wonder if there is anyone out there with some breaking and entering experience who may be able to point me in the right direction in order to achieve a more subtle result?opp5

Pigwam

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Chester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We have a 2006 Suntor 120 made by Elddis the same thing happened to me last weekend in the rain, (in too much of a hurry to get in out of the rain).

I put the key back in the lock and hit it with the palm of my hand, it went home all the way and seems to work OK now and I've had no further problems so far.

The key had turned about 1/4 of turn and stopped and the key could be pulled out buy wouldn't go in all the way or allow the lock to go back to normal position.

If it you can't push it in all the way I'd end up trying pliers, if you snap it off then try drilling the centre of the barrel starting with a small drill working my way up until I could tun it with a screwdriver one the door is open its very east to remove the lock and replace the barrel. I've seen new barrel and keys advertised for less than £20.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Oldlag

Oldlag

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
Northampton & Calvados Fr
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2012
Out of interest I am posting the latest regarding the jammed door lock. Fortunately I have a friend with some lock smithing experience and a quick trip over to him this morning achieved a very satisfactory result. First he puffed in some graphite powder,(apparently this is the only lubricant you should put into a lock unless it's a quick squirt of WD40 - definitely not 3in1), and then had a quick fiddle with some thin keys and managed to realign the lock 'biscuits'.

I shall of course be very careful with this lock in future and whilst it may be difficult to get hold of these keys I will certainly buy some of this graphite powder which seems a very useful addition to the MHZ toolbox:thumb:

Hope this will be of some help to other members

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Pigwam

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Chester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I shall of course be very careful with this lock in future and whilst it may be difficult to get hold of these keys I will certainly buy some of this graphite powder which seems a very useful addition to the MHZ toolbox:thumb:

Hope this will be of some help to other members

You can buy all of this off ebay.

and for interest i found a new barrel and keys for £6.98 on ebay.

I also have some locksmith experience, worked in a locksmiths on Saturdays and holidays to help pay my way through college.

I didnt want to go into how to open the lock in a forum, but its very simple and there are loads of video's on youtube to show you how, you also dont need the picks etc as a junior hacksaw blade with the pin knocked out of the end and the teeth removed for the first 30mm will work on a cheap disc lock.

Otherwise follow 'chesterfield hooligan's' advice :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back