Sicily Anyone?

Discussion in 'Italy' started by Robert Clark, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Hi Guys
    Planning a trip to Italy in October and was wondering if it is worth driving down to Sicily
    Would appreciate any suggestion or feedback from anyone has been there, especially later in the year
    Thanks
    Robert

2. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

one day, but not in summer, so will have to wait for wife to retire...:coffee:

Roads in North fine (EU money) as you head south they deteriorate..I know that much

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

• Like Like x 3
  4. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

We already did Tuscany last October and was planning another trip this year to Venice and then Croatia, but thought Sicily would be warmer

5. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

It was part of Magna Grecia and is stuffed full of temples, ruins and fantastic museums (all of which are free if you are over 65) if you like that sort of thing. Watch Montabano for the atmosphere. If you take the ferry to Messina a furthe 5 k down the road in Reggio da Calabria on the main land are the Riace bronzes. breath taking.

On the way down The bay of Naples is fantastic and there is enough interest there to have at least a week of day trips. A convenient site is the ASCI Camping Pompeii. It is literally just outside the entrance to ancient Pompeii, there is also a railway station adjacent that will take you to Naples, Herculean, Sorrento (for Capri), Solerno etc etc. You can get day tickets that will also cover you for the buses quite reasonably. An early start and you can get the train to Sorrento, bus down the Amalfi coast to Amalfi (don’t contemplate driving it yourself) and another one up to Revello. All for less than 5 euro.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riace_bronzes

Dick

• Like Like x 6
  6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I assume you read the blog of the NZ guy who cleared up the boules tournament in Sicily this new year, it's all on here and very tempting too.

What worries me are the thousands of Africans constantly arriving and dying in the area.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cyclewalkbob

Cyclewalkbob Funster

Remember the drive down the length of Italy is longer than the Drive from UK to Italy.

We went to Sicily two years ago and took the ferry from Genoa to Palermo.
    We thought it was better to have longer on the island - 3 weeks- rather than take 8 days to drive down Italy and back

A number of the Brits we met had Driven Down but then decided to take the ferry back.

So unless you have plenty of time or want to stop off at Pompeii etc ( though Motorhomes are not allowed on the Amalfi Coast road during the day) then I would take the ferry (24 hrs)

• Like Like x 5
  8. shawn&emma

shawn&emma Funster

Take a look at the Wanderlings blog https://thewanderlings2013.wordpress.com
    They were in Sicily for about a month from about 6th December 2014.
    From following them it looks a great place to spend some quieter times, it's on our possible list for this winter.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Pm flatpackchicken. He's a regular down there :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. hilldweller

Pah. Caesar did not bother about such trivia.

• Like Like x 3
  11. hilldweller

Pompeii, Herculaneum, Sorento, Capri -- need to be seen.

Though Oct might be a bit late, places closed for winter. We stopped in Sorento in Sept and the campsite was preparing to close, little in the shop, however the weather was great and we had a great time.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cyclewalkbob

Cyclewalkbob Funster

Sicily is a fantastic place, wonderful Greek,Roman,Norman and Baroque temples, Villas and Churches. Scenery is magnificent, the weather, outside of July and August, great and the people lovely.
    It is far away and predominantly a cash economy, campsites and some petrol stations and the Ferry from Palermo to Geneva only take cash. Some areas can be a little third world but that makes for the whole experience

Certainly well worth the trip.

Enjoy

Bob

• Like Like x 4
  13. travelbunyip

travelbunyip Funster

We enjoyed Sicily and spent nearly four weeks there last year. To see where we went look on our site, in maps go to 2014 trip map. Click on the kangaroo icons of the places we have stayed and on each place there is a link to the blog we have written.
    www.travelbunyip.com
    Hope this is of some help.

A

• Like Like x 4
  14. SMB

SMB Funster

Hi Robert, I'm at San Vito Lo Capo in Sicily at the moment awaiting friends. I drove down last year through mainland Italy but decided to get the ferry from Genoa to Palermo this time (via Sardinia for 17 days which is beautiful) and will travel back through Italy. As already stated, there are fantastic ruins like Agrigento, Segesta and Selinunte etc and some nice places like Trapani and Taormina. Bar Vitelli at Savoca was used in the movie The Godfather and is in a beautiful location. Then you have Etna and nice beaches etc, the weather has been nice recently and temperatures of 30°c are expected on Monday. Its definately one of my favourite places so far.

• Like Like x 5
  15. YukonJac

YukonJac Funster

Hi Robert,
    I'll likely be heading down at the end of December, just me and my little dog.
    I spent a lot of time driving through Italy to get the ferry from Bari to the Peloponnese back in winter 2009 and had a terrific adventure all through it - good and not so good. All depends on how much time you have to dilly-dally. I got completely sidelined by so many places and that's what made the trip magic and memorable. If you just want to blast straight through and end up in Sicily, you'll probably find the journey very tedious, especially once past Rome.
    Of course in winter you need to be prepared to do a lot of wild camping, sostas and generally be self-sufficient. On this coming trip, I think I'll do some island hoping on the way down: Marseille - Corsica - Sardinia - Sicily. Will then probably drive back up via mainland and summer in Germany or the like.
    Sicily looks like a total winner, and for me, the off-season will be even more wonderful if not a bit chillier!
    Good luck with your plans,

• Like Like x 3
  16. SandT

SandT Funster

We will be in Sicily from the 14th May , temp at the moment in Malta around 35c.
    ::bigsmile:

Terry

• Like Like x 2
  17. Moritz

Moritz Read Only Funster

Anybody needs tons of information on sicily on motorhome? There is a friend and former motorhome-entusiast in Palermo which is collecting and sharing all this information by mail.
    I don't know if it is allowed to post email-addresses here - just let me know.
    If you write Franco a mail, he will reply with tons of information about touring sicily in motorhome including a comprehensive list of all places to wild-camp as well as "aree di sosta" and campgrounds.

• Like Like x 2