siberian husky as a motorhome pet

Discussion in 'Pets' started by aba, Dec 9, 2011.

1. aba

aba

hi guys been thinking of getting a ball of fluff for the motorhome to get us out walking more.
    have any of you any experience of the siberian husky in general??

2. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

good in snow if your van get stuck dog can pull it out for you:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 3
  3. aba

aba

may need more than 1 to pull 5 ton out though :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Strangely enough we were out on a walk last week end, along a narrow path and came across a gentleman walking this beautiful big dog, started talking to him and he told us it was a Siberian Husky, said it loved this cold weather but hated the warmer weather, so I expect you have to take into consideration if you were taking it abroad in the warmer weather, beautiful big dog though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. aba

aba

wasn't thinking of crossing the water yet i feel its better to try and support our failing economy first.

• Like Like x 3
  6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Nice dogs but IMO too big as a motorhome pet..

I would also suggest smaller and non or low moulting..

Our JRT fits the first criteria but moults perpetually ... and the hairs are a bugger to get off of fabric..

Our Cairn Terrier is an ideal size and non moulting.. both are great alarm dogs ..

• Like Like x 1
  7. RKE

RKE Read Only Funster

No personal experience of Siberian Huskies........ but..........
    ....... I do know that they are very much the 'pack animal' and if not exercised extensively you will never be able to let them off the lead as they will just keep on running!!
    Also, you will have problems leaving them on their own if you need to!!

My advice to you would be to do your research, and speak to as many 'Husky' owners as you can!
    In short, my personal opinion is that the Siberian Husky will NOT be the breed for you....... However, there are many more breeds that may be suitable if your commitment is genuine...

Sorry if this is not the reply you want...... but you did ask! :Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Madmark62

Madmark62 Read Only Funster

My son has a Siberian Husky, it is a fantastic dog, loving and gentle with the little one. I have never met a more tolerant dog with kids.
    Only trouble with him is that he is constantly shedding hair during the summer lol. But in winter he cuddles up to you keeping you toasty and warm:Laughing:

• Like Like x 2
  9. rob kinnear

rob kinnear Read Only Funster

I have a neighbour who has a Siberian husky and she is a lovely friendly dog, As already said they love cold weather but do not like it to warm, moult a lot. You will get plenty of walks as they are full of energy also you will have a great security system
    They are a really friendly breed good with children and if I did not have 3 dogs in the house already I would consider having one

Rob
    :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  10. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

Our postie has two and i can tell you that according to her they take her for very long walks she reckons a daily average split into two walks of roughly 12miles - good job her postal delivery is done with the help of a postvan. You also really do need to be the 'boss/alpha' with this breed

11. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Know someone who had one very nice dog, walked miles behind her horse who she rode to take the dog for walks.

Only downside was the moulting, it almost looked as though there were two dogs in the basket at times.

12. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hmm :Smile: don't know about a Siberian Husky, but our daughter has a Lab/ Husky and its hard work. She can pull you for 30 miles :Wink: and dig the biggest holes in a garden you have ever seen. :Doh::Rofl1:

She loves other dogs except Staffies as she has been bitten by two, and she has blue eyes and does not like people looking at her. :Doh:

Our dogs in the past have been Lab x German Shepherd and German Shepherd x Whippet and were both great dogs and well trained, and we had them from pups.:BigGrin:

Then we down sized and got a Porkie ( Yorkie / poodle ), :BigGrin: we re homed her at 10 months, and we are her 4th owners, she does YAP !! at times but great in the van, Jane clips her so no hair all over the place, and although she looks like butter would not melt, :Wink: the terrier does come out and she has had a couple of pigeons and nearly a pheasant in our garden.
    I think a Siberian Husky would probably prefer it under the van, :Wink: than in it. :Rofl1: Bob.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  13. sedge

sedge Funster

You have to have at least 3, otherwise in the winter you won't be able to have a Three Dog Night! - was how the Inuit measured the coldness of the temperature, by how many dogs they had to have on the bed to keep em warm.

I only learned that the other day, I had no idea until then that was where they got their band name from!

14. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

if i was you id start to save the asda bags iv you see the size of shits they do put in this weather it will keep your hands warm:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 5
  15. Popeye

Popeye Funster

"I have locked that away Jenny so I can hold on to my Prince of Trivia Title at work.

My goodness you're a source, ney Mine of useless information.
    ":Rofl1:

16. Griffs

Griffs Funster

huskey

My wife and I always liked a huskey but as I have always wanted a german shepherd that is the road we went down, they are no different to the huskey in molting and our dog loves to sleep under the stars,with the size of camper that you have I would not worry about the room as we have downsized from an american to a van conversion yes things do get a bit tight at times, and when we are touring the dog loves sleeping between the front seats.
    Like all dogs they need their exercise.
    Go with yourown feelings:Smile:

17. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

there nice put i can't eat a full one:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  18. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Hi.... beautiful pets but need so much excercise and as said don't like the heat...

My friends have a labradoodle which they take in their caravan each weekend. He is gorgeous, quite big but doesn't moult and full of common sense, loving and cuddly. :Smile:

19. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Hi Aba,

I would say that if you are asking the question then one is not going to be right for you.
    I have a friend or two with Huskies. They do as said require a lot of walking, need regular coat work (like our tara) but most importantly, they do not seem to be able to be off the lead when walking. I think it is because the pack/hunting nature of the dog. I know some try but generally when out they can't be as they disappear.

Not too big for the motorhome though, I mean, youve met our Tara the Newfie, she fits just right. :cry:

Ask yourself why a Husky? lovely dogs mind dont get me wrong. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  20. maz

maz Funster

• Like Like x 1