Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Hi I have just installed one of these water restrictors http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111106954...49&var=410187272032&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
My pump is a Shurflo SUK - 0227 30 psi 7 ltr
My question is normally when you turn on the tap the pump starts then when you turn off the tap the pump continues until the pressure is build up, then the pump stops.
Well now with this restrictor fitted then water flow is reduced :xThumb::xThumb:
As intended , but as the pressure builds up in the line when the tap is running as the flow is being restricted the pump starts and stops as the pressure builds up then it's released.
So my QUESTION is will the pump starting and stoping more be detrimental to the pump ?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
An accumulator as suggested by ff will do the trick. It'll also prevent pump cycling when you turn the shower, or a tap, to a low setting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
if i was to get that accumulator would it make a difference that my water pump is 30 psi and the accumulator says something in the description about 20 psi ?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
if i was to get that accumulator would it make a difference that my water pump is 30 psi and the accumulator says something in the description about 20 psi ?
The accumulator that I got (Fiamma) had adjustable pressure. It was a quarter the price of a shurflo one..

http://www.leisureoutlet.com/pumps-...n-water-tank?gclid=CNOl35SYg9ECFUo6Gwodv_8CXA

Bicycle pump to adjust..... you can see the fitting on the end
IMG_1702.JPG

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
The accumulator that I got (Fiamma) had adjustable pressure. It was a quarter the price of a shurflo one..

http://www.leisureoutlet.com/pumps-...n-water-tank?gclid=CNOl35SYg9ECFUo6Gwodv_8CXA

Bicycle pump to adjust..... you can see the fitting on the end
View attachment 138317
Thanks for the link.
Are you happy with yours and how long have you had it fitted for?
Also noticed this in the literature "Pre-charged at 0.9 bars (13psi)"
is that figure relevant at all for me . with my pump being 30 psi , or am i getting confused over nothing ?

Thanks

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We've got a Shurflo accumulator, bought to stop the pump cycling so often. You can change the pressure to match the pump, as posted above use a bike pump or tyre inflator. Took a little bit of fiddling to get the pressure right but fine thereafter. Bought it 3/4 years ago, or maybe more - time flies so fast these days.....

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I fitted the Fiamma one on the last van and it made a big difference, need to fit one to this van now.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks for the link.
Are you happy with yours and how long have you had it fitted for?
Also noticed this in the literature "Pre-charged at 0.9 bars (13psi)"
is that figure relevant at all for me . with my pump being 30 psi , or am i getting confused over nothing ?

Thanks
Mine was recharged as well, just took it up to 20PSI. Very happy; it stopped the pump pulsing. Well worth the £21 I paid for it

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I can't see why the pumps cycle ? Mine builds up the pressure in the pipework& when a tap is opened & pressure drops the pump will start & run until the tap is closed & it can build up the pressure again. It rarely cycles when a tap/shower is being used.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I can't see why the pumps cycle ? Mine builds up the pressure in the pipework& when a tap is opened & pressure drops the pump will start & run until the tap is closed & it can build up the pressure again. It rarely cycles when a tap/shower is being used.
Are you sure that you don't have an accumulator already fitted somewhere in the system? The pressure in the pipework is fine but water is incompressible and to avoid pulsing there must be an air pocket to absorb the pressure differences - which is the function of the accumulator. A side benefit is a reduction of hydraulic shock

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
it is only pulsing since i have installed the restrictor i linked above and it only pulses when i screw the screw on the restrictor inwards to restrict the flow of water ( which it is meant to do ) , it stops pulsing when the screw is unscrewed.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I only really noticed the pulsing when using the naturepure filter tap which made the water splash, probably because it was restricted.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@TerryL could i take it to a garage forecourt and use one of them tyre inflater machines to pressurize it to the correct pressure ? as the only pump i have at home is a bicycle pump with no way of telling the pressure it.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi Trevor. .. can you tell me why you installed the restrictor. .
I'm just curious as to why ..was pressure /flow too much..
You said the pump ran without cycling before you fitted it..
And I'm thinking you would just use taps to adjust flow ...
Andy.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
@TerryL could i take it to a garage forecourt and use one of them tyre inflater machines to pressurize it to the correct pressure ? as the only pump i have at home is a bicycle pump with no way of telling the pressure it.
You can just use your tyre pressure gauge to check the accumulator pressure...
I think from memory mine ran best at just under rater pump pressure... my pump awas rated at 20psi I think and I thought that was the norm in most motorhomes.
Andy

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Hi Trevor. .. can you tell me why you installed the restrictor. .
I'm just curious as to why ..was pressure /flow too much..
You said the pump ran without cycling before you fitted it..
And I'm thinking you would just use taps to adjust flow ...
Andy.
To test it to try to save water from the kitchen sink , to enable longer wild camping stints , is not the end of the world if it does not work out right Andy , just trying to become a bigger scrooge when it comes to water :D

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@andy63 my pump is 30 PSI so if i did try one of these expansion tanks , i should inflate it to 30 psi ?? is that correct ??

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
To test it to try to save water from the kitchen sink , to enable longer wild camping stints , is not the end of the world if it does not work out right Andy , just trying to become a bigger scrooge when it comes to water :D
Got you... :xThumb:you just like tinkering lol...
Seriously though I was just wondering because it sounded like it was going to end up costing you and giving you a bit of work...
Andy

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
@andy63 my pump is 30 PSI so if i did try one of these expansion tanks , i should inflate it to 30 psi ?? is that correct ??
I'm not sure.. mine was 20psi.. I think I set my accumulator pressure below that at around 16psi..
It is easily set.. only takes a few strokes of the pump...and you can release pressure easily as it's just a schreder valve.. so easy to mess about with and find out what suits..
Andy

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
A simple solution to not using so much water from the kitchen tap is not to open it so far, or am I over simplifying things?

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I'm not sure.. mine was 20psi.. I think I set my accumulator pressure below that at around 16psi..
It is easily set.. only takes a few strokes of the pump...and you can release pressure easily as it's just a schreder valve.. so easy to mess about with and find out what suits..
Andy
so am i right in understanding the water pressure that comes out of the tap will be determined by the pressure that the accumulator is pressurized to ??
as in the higher pressure it is inflated to = higher water pressure in the taps ( ofc until the max pressure of the pump is reached )

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
the way i see it is your pump will govern the max pressure your system will run at... your pump will shut off at max pressure and switch on at a predetermined lower pressure which may be adjustable ( i think it is on most pumps ).. The accumulator is set at a pressure which helps iron out the pressure fluctuations in the system by acting as an expansion vessel and energy store... which will help maintain a even consistent flow in the system...
whether the pump cycles on and off will depend on the demand at your taps... if the pump can easily cope it will be cycling more frequently... where demand exceeds pump capacity it can't reach max pressure and will run continually....
hope I've understood your question
the max pressure of the system will be the pumps max pressure.. your pump won't cut in until the pressure drops below that ..
andy

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Are you sure that you don't have an accumulator already fitted somewhere in the system? The pressure in the pipework is fine but water is incompressible and to avoid pulsing there must be an air pocket to absorb the pressure differences - which is the function of the accumulator. A side benefit is a reduction of hydraulic shock

No , nothing except the pump mine is an Aqua 8 .
http://www.fiamma.com/EN/products/comfort/aqua_8/aqua_8/

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We had accumulators on water systems on ships. The pressure set before the the pump is in line is relevant to the performance but not the final pressure, this is set by the pump. A lower initial pressure in the accumulator gives a smaller reservoir of air for the pump pressure to act against. The pump fitted has adjustment on it to fine tune the output and help prevent pulsing, it's all in the instructions as I recall though not possibly very clear.
Edit
Just as an afterthought, my dog sleeps on the bench above our pump. In the winter, as the van cools down, the water in the pipework contracts as it cools and the pump 'burps'. The dog is so used to this now he doesn't even lift his head.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I found the pressure for the accumulator best at a couple of lbs below the pump pressure - but above the point that the pump kicks in again. That's why it was a bit fiddly. Didn't help when I'd already played with the pump pressure adjustment.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
MMMmmmmmmm.. I think next year when we get home I am gonna make one of those..we use a water saving shower head and a pressure reservoir will indeed stop it pulsing..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The item you first suggested doesn't restrict water flow, it simply introduces air to the flow in effect increasing the amount of usable water.
For the couple of seconds run-on when turning a tap off I wouldn't bother.
If the pump run-on is excessively long the pump cut off point needs adjusting.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
the way i see it is your pump will govern the max pressure your system will run at... your pump will shut off at max pressure and switch on at a predetermined lower pressure which may be adjustable ( i think it is on most pumps ).. The accumulator is set at a pressure which helps iron out the pressure fluctuations in the system by acting as an expansion vessel and energy store... which will help maintain a even consistent flow in the system...
whether the pump cycles on and off will depend on the demand at your taps... if the pump can easily cope it will be cycling more frequently... where demand exceeds pump capacity it can't reach max pressure and will run continually....
hope I've understood your question
the max pressure of the system will be the pumps max pressure.. your pump won't cut in until the pressure drops below that ..
andy
100% understand Andy , and thats the way i think it should work, ill have to look and see if / where there is a pressure adjustment on the pump , incase i need to make any adjustments.
i'm also torn between the Shurflo or the Fiamma Accumulator tank ??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back