Showers - are they worth the space? (1 Viewer)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Loo and shower takes up aprox 3 ft 6 ins -with a bit of thinking/planing it's easy enough to get into a small panel van -HBs van is only 8 ft long behind front seats and I managed to fit loo/shower wardrobe bed sink cooker into it without using the front seats as part of the bed, so for me the shower is a must.If more w/top is needed then a simple lift up one across the doorway can easy be fitted -it's your home and as such I WOULD EXPECT a loo and washing to be had in it.(y)
terry

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Why? it dries itself. Do you dry it at home? Just shut the door and like magic next time you open it is all dry :LOL:
Yes I do . Have one of those squigy things for the glass . And wipe out the base. I do the van one to stop the dampness evaporating inside the van .

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we built without a shower we had one in the last panel van and never used it ok if you have a larger motor home but with space at a premium in a pvc we decided it was one thing we could do without remember you canuse the water you put in and then you have to get rid of the waste. being frugal we can go five days wilding if we had a shower this would halve

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
If you have room for a loo and basin, you would, more than likely, have room for the shower tray to form the floor of the cubicle. A pull out tap forms the shower head. If you need a shower and there aren't other suitable facilities available, you can have one. You don't have to use it all of the time and may only use it rarely, but it is available. The shower tray is also a good place to put wet and muddy boots and water proofs.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We bought our van and liked having the seperate shower. But have not used it yet, stayed on sites so far that have great facilities. We tend to hang towels, store laundry basket and other stuff in there. Also not sure how our shower would work as the head seems to be point directly out and can't get it to point down :-( probably doing something stupid!

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Life without a shower is existing. We mostly wild and love ours and use it all the time. I am more than happy to hunt and haul water, its part of the lifestyle. Sometimes we use the solar shower when in warmer climes (which we usually are) just don a pair of trunks and hold the nozzle for each other.. Luverly !! I couldn't get intimate with a lady who wasn't
'squeeky clean'... Oooooooh no.. :D

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Yes, you do need to wipe out a shower after use but when it is a separate shower its an easy wipe of 3 walls and a door. On some vans 9and caravans) that I've seen where the toilet is in the same compartment you are then also trying to dry out the various nooks and crevices around the toilet, often whilst a clingy plastic sheet is sticking itself to your back. That is simply not for me!

I agree that a decent shower almost inevitably (not always) comes with a bigger van but hey, this is all a matter of personal choice. high on my "must have" list is a good shower, if I have to compromise a little over in town parking and some accessibility issue then that is something I am prepared to work around. Other will have different priorities and that is why there are s many different vans around. I knew a guy who had a little two berth van based on a Citroen van (was it a Romahome?) and that was a fantastic little van for what he wanted - highly manoueverable, VERY economical, park it anywhere but not for me as it had no shower.

I like to get up in the morning, shower, dress, breakfast, out. To traipse across the park in yesterdays clothes to shower and then change into todays clothes is not something I would enjoy (and you do not want to see me in one of those dressing gown thingies!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ASel

Free Member
Oct 23, 2013
Gretna
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yes, you do need to wipe out a shower after use but when it is a separate shower its an easy wipe of 3 walls and a door. On some vans 9and caravans) that I've seen where the toilet is in the same compartment you are then also trying to dry out the various nooks and crevices around the toilet, often whilst a clingy plastic sheet is sticking itself to your back. That is simply not for me!
When it is a self contained shower why do you need to wipe it?

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I would assume that wiping it depends on the hardness of the water. We live in a hard water area and if we did't wipe the water off doors or tiles the scale builds up quickly. Also makes it easier to clean if there are no water marks :)

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Van without shower = Tent = Site shower = Verrucas

I though that was only me.. :LOL:

Having played football for over 20 years and shared communal showers with many men :Eeek: I never once got a verruca or indeed any other "disease" ( another :Eeek:):rofl::rofl:. A good pair of flip flops work well (y).

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
But surely you still have to dry out a separate shower when finished ?
We were loathe to use the shower in our PVC when we first got it because we thought it would take ages to dry out afterwards - but it doesn't even in soggy UK weather. We use a J cloth to wipe down all the vertical surfaces and then a rubber bladed thing like you use on windows to dry the shower tray. Exactly the same regime as we use in the shower at home which we also dry after use as it prevents water marks.

We were also surprised by how little water the shower uses and our other fear of running out of water was also groundless.

The only limitation we have found is the water is a bit slow to drain away unless the waste tank is almost empty. I think this is a peculiarity of some PVC conversions as they don't have the space underneath them which more conventional MHs have and thus arranging the right fall in the waste pipes is a bit problematic. It isn't a major problem - muggins is just sent to empty the waste tank before Mrs DBK has a shower. :)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Well done "muggins" !! Me too !! But Oooohh, it is so worth it !!

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Definite yes. We have a separate shower which we do wipe down after as there is a wooden duck board that goes back in ( the sink and mirror are in the same compartment) It works well and the temperature is great but I do use site facilities if they are available and always wear flip flops or dare I mention them...........Crocs !!!!!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

I agree that a decent shower almost inevitably (not always) comes with a bigger van but hey, this is all a matter of personal choice. high on my "must have" list is a good shower, if I have to compromise a little over in town parking and some accessibility issue then that is something I am prepared to work around. Other will have different priorities and that is why there are s many different vans around. I knew a guy who had a little two berth van based on a Citroen van (was it a Romahome?) and that was a fantastic little van for what he wanted - highly manoueverable, VERY economical, park it anywhere but not for me as it had no shower.

I like to get up in the morning, shower, dress, breakfast, out. To traipse across the park in yesterdays clothes to shower and then change into todays clothes is not something I would enjoy (and you do not want to see me in one of those dressing gown thingies!
Agree completely. And you don't need a huge van to have a shower that's separated from the basin & toilet. Our Hymer B584 is 6 & a bit metres long and has a shower with folding door. I had six requirements for purchase: Under 22 feet, A class, no fixed bed, front lounge, entrance near the rear, and a shower. Given the choice of fixed bed or decent bathroom I'd go for the latter every time.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
We NEVER have a problem with waste water draining out How's that? I hear you say cos we NEVER EVER close the bleeding tap

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Use ours quite a bit. This lot all used it after our fancy dress effort at a music festival a couple of years back, topped up the tank with our watering can.

Attachments

• P1000201.JPG
    P1000201.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
OK, a shower it is. Any idea how much water you use in such a shower? What is the minimum size tanks should be?

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Most folks when using a van shower tend to wet themselves down, knock the tap off, soap everything up, switch the tap back on and rinse. Not sure of quantities but I left the plug in the shower tray once and it only half filled it (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Some people feel the need to have a shower every single morning, this is a modern phenomenon because water is readily available at home and they can affort the energy to heat it, in the past this was not the case and many got used to having a shower once a week, or a bath usually, and good washes in the interim, this didn't mean that people were dirtier then, just as it doesn't now.

Having a shower, bath or a good strip wash, is immaterial ... it is how well you clean yourself when doing so that matters, so can we get off the "you are dirtier because you don't shower" sniping digs please! I then won't start to make comments like "you HAVE to shower every day because you are mucky smell pups" ... :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Most folks when using a van shower tend to wet themselves down, knock the tap off, soap everything up, switch the tap back on and rinse. Not sure of quantities but I left the plug in the shower tray once and it only half filled it (y)
Yup, that's exactly what we did when we had showers in previous vans occasionally. All have had combo showers/toilets except our Rimor which had a separate shower cubicle but we still dried it off to stop the damp air remaning in the van, even with the window/roof vent open it did not get rid of it all. We also used to use it to store bits and bobs so it needed to be dried of to put them back anyway.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

That's how we do it .. and when we had a caravan, we managed 3 or 4 showers from one 30 lt Aquaroll. and a 2 gal Carver water heater.. (y)

Showering every day is not a new thing.. I've been doing that as an adult all my life .

I do recall washing in a tin bath in front of a coal fire.. but that was in the early 50s... things have moved on a pace since then.. and so has camping..

I also remember poor kids coming to school with 'tide' marks around their neck and wrists... ewwwwwww

Last edited:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Yep for us definitely,we wouldn't have a van without a shower or toilet.we always use our on board facilities.motorhomes cost a lot so it seems a waste if they are not used(y)
Brian & Jo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back