Showers - are they worth the space? (1 Viewer)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Our central corridor has wrap-round tambour doors that convert the corridor into a shower, with a lift out wooden floor over the shower tray. So it doesn't take up any space at all.

The only drawback is that you can't open the fridge door or go from the front to the back of the van while someone is having a shower, so a little forward planning is required.

In addition, depending on where you slide the door(s), you can open up the bathroom to the bedroom, shutting off the front of the van, or open it up to the front, shutting off the bedroom.

When the bathroom is closed off, all the standing area is released back into the body of the van. As it's a PVC with a fixed bed, maximising the remaining available space is critical. (Why a fixed bed in a PVC? - that's a whole new thread in itself)

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Couldn't do without the shower. It was, and always has been in our tugger days, an essential. Whenever I look at a van it is the shower first - does it have a toilet separate to the shower (can't be doing with one that goes over the toilet and you have to perform contortions to get wet or dry out the toilet bit afterwards - nor do I like having to stroll through a damp shower tray when I need a pee). Next, does it have at least three burners, with one preferably electric, are the seats comfy - done deal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
You see, wifey won't shower, she prefers a strip down wash. I love a shower, but do wonder how good a shower in a van is. (italics are unintentional). We don't have one at the mo. So the use of on-site works for me (except for the bitey one, detailed earlier). The only time it was a problem was when we were on aires for a week or so, it was really hot, and were soaked in sweat straight after a wash or shower. Boy,was the next camp site shower good.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
The end bathroom on our Auto Sleeper Broadway EB is the reason that we bought this model, The bathroom stretches along the complete back end.
Bench cassette drivers side and opposite half wardrobe and a large chest of drawers below, side of this is double door vanity unit with acrylic style wash bowl with led lit mirror above, then full size shower tray with folding acrylic doors and also extractor fan to remove steam on passenger side. The bathroom floor is carpeted and no dampness or water to tread through at anytime and you can get dressed or undressed in comfort.
John.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
We wouldn't be without our shower. We often use the facilities on caravan club sites as they are so good but you can get a fantastic location with iffy facilities and that's when your own shower is priceless. Ours is quite roomy but our last one was only the space of a loo and foot room. The loo was shut off by a folding glass door and the floor space became the shower. Small but very adequate.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Mines also a two berth, whilst going down to Benidorm before Christmas a number of times we were asked by French and Dutch travellers why we had such a small motorhome, it's 6.2 metres in length.

John.

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
shower in the van is a must for me

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
Wifey wants me to convert the shower to a bath. :wasntme::wasntme: but would not be without the facilities.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Always used our shower in both caravans and M/Hs.

My wife has some mobility problems so the ability to roll out of bed and shower in the M/H is a must.

We very seldom use on-site facilities which gives us much more freedom to use small sites, or sites that are in brilliant positions but with poor facilities .

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Ours has the shower with the toilet, but it's a seperate thing at the side with a folding hard Perspex door to close off the loo part when showering. This we like at the loo can be left as is and everything doesn't get wet.

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
We use our own shower all the time even on sites with facilities. Would not be without it

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Yes agreed, we used to both shower to make it worth the chore of drying it out.

When we started off with the Autoquest years ago, we had a similar shower/loo combination........it was a chore. But I soon decided that I would have a shower first, then Bill could have his(y).......last out dries everything off!

In the early days I would need another shower by the time I had dried everything off......:( Thank goodness for a separate shower now with proper fold-back door.....no more shower curtain sticking to wet body:) Always our own shower for us.......at least we know who was using it before.

Margaret

Reactions: GJH

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
DO NOT SHOWER,
When I had a shower in my van I Scalded myself as the water temperature was very variable and totally not nice, came out about
60 degrees, then cold but not always in that order.

Refer to above post.

Saint76

Free Member
Jan 10, 2014
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
8years
Would one buy a house without a toilet or a shower be like going back to the days of tin baths.
We have both and yes we use them.
When on site with showers i use site facilities so as the water lasts longer.
When looking for our motorhomes that has been on the list of must haves 2 caravans whilst kids were small with shower toilet combo does not work for us.As previously mentioned messy and lot of drying down after use .
We now have separate shower cubicle and a sink and toilet cubicle.Use of which is optional ,this along with fixed bed combination over the garage to us were must have items
After two previous motorhomes each owned for 4 years ,we are now on our third which we have had for a year and think we have it right now cannot fault the layout

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I Agee with you saint76. We'd had a few caravans before looking at motorhomes and we had a must have and nice to have list together when we went looking. On the must haves were a separate shower, loo, basin: decent size fridge, freezer: fixed bed: good storage: comfortable indoor seating for rainy days, etc. wouldn't be without my shower

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
But you're all big guys, in a manner of speaking. I quite like the smaller vans.

Ours van is 5.7m. There would not be space for a separate shower cubicle without compromising the other features - storage, work space etc. which are far more useful.

Having to wipe everything down after a shower is a chore but if you are on sites with good facilities, it will not be an issue. If you are wild camping, you will probably find that this chore is more than made up for by the convenience of being able to wash easily.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Couldn't do without the shower. It was, and always has been in our tugger days, an essential. Whenever I look at a van it is the shower first - does it have a toilet separate to the shower (can't be doing with one that goes over the toilet and you have to perform contortions to get wet or dry out the toilet bit afterwards - nor do I like having to stroll through a damp shower tray when I need a pee). Next, does it have at least three burners, with one preferably electric, are the seats comfy - done deal.
But surely you still have to dry out a separate shower when finished ?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
nobody seems to of mentioned the other essential use for a shower cubicle.......drying wet coats or washing
especially on a panel van you need somewhere waterproof to put wet coats if its raining

ASel

Free Member
Oct 23, 2013
Gretna
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Would not be without our shower which we use every day.

No moping up and a nice bath mat to dry oneself on.

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Our Moho (yet to be delivered) has a separate shower cubicle with proper door, not shower curtain. Will we use it, perhaps, but if on site then we will most likely use the facilities provided. We intend to use club sites as much as possible and can’t see any reason (for us) not to use their facilities unless of course they are manky, are they really? ‘cause I don’t know yet :)
I guess if you want to strip-wash, shower in your van or use the facilities, it is up to you. We will all use our vans how we see fit and there are varying degrees of cleanliness i.e. you will soon find out who to stay away from.;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back