Shower tray crack (1 Viewer)

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Expensive hobby this motor homing Now have to shell out over £325 for a repair to shower tray in a 2010 Bessacarr . Hardly use the shower as we use on site facilities ! Not impressed at all.:cry:

OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Only if you are competent at DIY ! I hate to see the consequences of either of us undertaking that. Hubby can fly planes, I can stitch and make cards. Doubt in either of our ability to sort out this problem.:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
These have a good name

Link Removed

starts at 125£

Last edited:
OP
OP
lindylou
Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
We have opted for Neil the caravan medic as he is based around Nuneaton where we are visiting our daughter before going to Devon to see other daughter. We are then heading for euro tunnel so time is of essence . Will report back with results for anyone else with similar problem. Hopefully all will be well.

Lin :thumb:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
We have a crack just in front of the toilet, just where you stand, nobody up here does repairs so have sealed it with sudal so fingures crossed
Did think about plastic weld but seemed quite complicated

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Repairing cracked trays seems recently to have become a little industry in its own right. At the recent Newark show there was at least one stall advertising repairs but as usual I failed to make a note of who they were.
At the show in Knutsford last year there was a large display of cracked shower stray and samples of the repairs which they claimed made them much stronger. On that occasion I did make notes but have since lost them.
So if anyone else has this problem it may be worth shopping around Google.... "Repair cracked shower trays" where there is no shortage of people wanting your money.

Alan

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Can't offer any advice on this one I am afraid.

I am in a self build and the shower tray has just cracked on me right at the edge. Currently duct taped to prevent leakage underneath.

This is the first van I have had where you stand in the shower tray to use the toilet or sink and didn't think it through that well. It has lasted 3 years though of solid daily use so not a seriously bad flaw.

I realised last minute before setting off I had skipped the bathroom check so rushed in and tripped over the ledge and put my toe right into the edge of the shower tray with my full weight. There was a little bit of swearing and the duct tape came out.

What I am doing is taking it out and applying a decent amount of fibreglass matting and resin both to the base and especially along the edges. The padding I had used has slowly compressed over time and right at the edges and in the very center is no longer supporting the tray.

I am in half a mind to fit a new tray at the same time as it is less than £50 for a new tray. However it will look all shiny and white and make the sink and toilet look grubby :Doh::ROFLMAO:

This is the stuff I am using, anyone know if this is the right/wrong stuff or any problems they can foresee?

Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Make sure that the underneath of the shower tray is supported properly, one of the reasons they crack is lack of

Peter

You know this, I know this many people have suffered the dreaded crack so why is it that manufacturers keep pumping them out like it.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
You will all probably know this,but traveling around with gear in the shower compartment can/does, weaken/crack the shower tray. I noticed on another forum that some people carried all sorts of gear in this area,if you did not think or know this,now you do. Hope this can help someone in the future.
Tea Bag.

Aug 29, 2012
North Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
since 2011
We have opted for Neil the caravan medic as he is based around Nuneaton where we are visiting our daughter before going to Devon to see other daughter. We are then heading for euro tunnel so time is of essence . Will report back with results for anyone else with similar problem. Hopefully all will be well.

Lin :thumb:

By the sound of it you are having your shower tray treated with speedcoat, if I'm correct then you will not regret it as we had our one done last year by our local caravan medic and he did a brilliant job, and despite having had a lot of use, it really does look as good as the day it was done.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back