Shower tray crack

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by lindylou, Mar 28, 2014.

1. lindylou

lindylou Funster

Expensive hobby this motor homing Now have to shell out over £325 for a repair to shower tray in a 2010 Bessacarr . Hardly use the shower as we use on site facilities ! Not impressed at all.:cry:

2. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Plastic weld it.. Easy as an easy thing..

3. lindylou

lindylou Funster

Only if you are competent at DIY ! I hate to see the consequences of either of us undertaking that. Hubby can fly planes, I can stitch and make cards. Doubt in either of our ability to sort out this problem.:cry:

4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Make sure that the underneath of the shower tray is supported properly, one of the reasons they crack is lack of

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  5. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  6. lindylou

lindylou Funster

We have opted for Neil the caravan medic as he is based around Nuneaton where we are visiting our daughter before going to Devon to see other daughter. We are then heading for euro tunnel so time is of essence . Will report back with results for anyone else with similar problem. Hopefully all will be well.

Lin :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  7. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

We have a crack just in front of the toilet, just where you stand, nobody up here does repairs so have sealed it with sudal so fingures crossed
    Did think about plastic weld but seemed quite complicated

8. lindylou

lindylou Funster

How do we check that Peter ? It's a sealed unit.

9. rosalan

rosalan Funster

Repairing cracked trays seems recently to have become a little industry in its own right. At the recent Newark show there was at least one stall advertising repairs but as usual I failed to make a note of who they were.
    At the show in Knutsford last year there was a large display of cracked shower stray and samples of the repairs which they claimed made them much stronger. On that occasion I did make notes but have since lost them.
    So if anyone else has this problem it may be worth shopping around Google.... "Repair cracked shower trays" where there is no shortage of people wanting your money.

Alan

10. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Can't offer any advice on this one I am afraid.

I am in a self build and the shower tray has just cracked on me right at the edge. Currently duct taped to prevent leakage underneath.

This is the first van I have had where you stand in the shower tray to use the toilet or sink and didn't think it through that well. It has lasted 3 years though of solid daily use so not a seriously bad flaw.

I realised last minute before setting off I had skipped the bathroom check so rushed in and tripped over the ledge and put my toe right into the edge of the shower tray with my full weight. There was a little bit of swearing and the duct tape came out.

What I am doing is taking it out and applying a decent amount of fibreglass matting and resin both to the base and especially along the edges. The padding I had used has slowly compressed over time and right at the edges and in the very center is no longer supporting the tray.

I am in half a mind to fit a new tray at the same time as it is less than £50 for a new tray. However it will look all shiny and white and make the sink and toilet look grubby :Doh::Rofl1:

This is the stuff I am using, anyone know if this is the right/wrong stuff or any problems they can foresee?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310738606817
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111138815127

• Like Like x 1
  11. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

You know this, I know this many people have suffered the dreaded crack so why is it that manufacturers keep pumping them out like it.

12. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    You will all probably know this,but traveling around with gear in the shower compartment can/does, weaken/crack the shower tray. I noticed on another forum that some people carried all sorts of gear in this area,if you did not think or know this,now you do. Hope this can help someone in the future.
    Tea Bag.

13. coffeeroffey

coffeeroffey Funster

By the sound of it you are having your shower tray treated with speedcoat, if I'm correct then you will not regret it as we had our one done last year by our local caravan medic and he did a brilliant job, and despite having had a lot of use, it really does look as good as the day it was done.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1