Shower smells (1 Viewer)

combi

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Funster No
Used the motorhome this weekend and noticed a drains type smell from the shower cubicle and I think it comes from the plughole,
When we first got the van we flushed the drainage system with Elsan grey water tank fresh and until this weekend there was no problem. On looking underneath I can see that there is no waste trap just a pipe to the waste tank and think that this may be the cause of the problem.
My question is should I treat the tank more often or is there some way of fitting an anti smell trap.
Thanks in advance for any help.

cakeboy

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I had that.
Just bunged a bottle of cheap disinfectant down both plug holes and shower.
Cured it.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Used the motorhome this weekend and noticed a drains type smell from the shower cubicle and I think it comes from the plughole,
When we first got the van we flushed the drainage system with Elsan grey water tank fresh and until this weekend there was no problem. On looking underneath I can see that there is no waste trap just a pipe to the waste tank and think that this may be the cause of the problem.
My question is should I treat the tank more often or is there some way of fitting an anti smell trap.

cakeboy

Buy one of them flat`ish rubber/soft plastic sink bungs/plugs and put that on/in when not using the shower.

Unless the pipe comes out lowish and with a bit of room where it comes through the floor, Doubt you will have the room especially for a free flow. I think you will have a bit of a job on your hands. :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: phor smells in here :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: no the best is persil soap liqid just pour into all plug holes fill waste tank full let it soak 1/ 2 days it will degrease and clean tank and make it smell better i also use soda crystalls 90 p tesco and it wont harm seals or any thing also same for toilet cheaper the chems in a oaver priced bottle :thumb::thumb:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years

cakeboy
Hi Cakeboy
The best tip I got re the waste tank, is to put a 2 litre bottle of coke down the plug holes:thumb: add a bit of water then empty after a drive about, all sorts of rubbish comes out:thumb:, then a bottle of smelly to make it smell better:roflmto:, also DONTempty and starchy water down the sink as that will cause smells:Angry:. Pete :thumb::thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi we where told to put diluting orange juice down the plug holes. we have done this and no smells so far.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
We had this earlier in the year only from the bathroom sink , I norm leave all the taps open once home but had forgotten on the last one or two occasions when this had occurred

We couldnt work it out as up to then we were smell free , Phil Taran Las did have some type of smell better /clean it fluid, which helped immediately which i am sure he will be able to tell you when he comes along... loaded it in n went for a drive to swish it about , we remembered then about leaving the taps open when parked up and we have had no prob since although it took us a few weeks to sort out the smell

Good luck in sorting it... those fragrance lamps are good too if it persists, I believe Andyman's wife sells them...:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Every now and then put biological washing powder/liquid mixed with a drop of water down the plug holes and leave it overnight, works wonders:thumb:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

cakeboy

Hi we had a similar problem, especially when we were on site for a couple of months. We always leave the plugs in the shower and sink and when we get home we found that using cheap Milton in the fresh water tank, then draining it into the grey water tank and leaving it for a few days with some some disinfectant cleans both tanks and leaves them nice and fresh.

Ginny

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
most showers are unable to fit a trap just not the drop space available in a van. frequent draining of the grey tank helps along with cleaning. using a biological cold water soap powder will dissolve the crud in the tank and keep it cleaner. We always travel with the plugs in the sinks and shower, that does prevent the stink from a newly drained tank from reaching you. But cleaning it in the first place does help. good luck and as a last resort get nose clips:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
most showers are unable to fit a trap just not the drop space available in a van. frequent draining of the grey tank helps along with cleaning. using a biological cold water soap powder will dissolve the crud in the tank and keep it cleaner. We always travel with the plugs in the sinks and shower, that does prevent the stink from a newly drained tank from reaching you. But cleaning it in the first place does help. good luck and as a last resort get nose clips:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We do the same . Empty often waste often and travel with the plugs in.
Put some washing powder in a bag and keep it in the MH .
Tip a bit down each plug hole and the shower hole , before setting off and putting the plugs in. Ours never smells doing this.
In fact it has a nice fresh washing smell if anything. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back