Should we, shouldn't we but a mh now ?? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
A

Andrew G M

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Abergele
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
So you expect your 6' 13st son to share a small bed with his 16 YO sister.

I wonder what your wife thinks about this idea. Sounds very third world to me.

Hi Brian

Not third world, just Wales.

The kids have always shared on hols over the years, but i agree it will be a bit of a squeeze. At a push there is enough floor space for one of them to crash if sharing did not work out.

To be honest, I do not foresee too many occasions when all four of us would use it together. Possibly the odd Alton Towers trip !

Our daughter at sixteen going on seventeen will probably be ok to leave on her own for short periods soon (with relatives popping in to ensure no wild parties), so In the short to medium term it will probably just be the three of us, or two if i can persuade mother in law to baby sit on the odd occassion.

As you can see, i really am trying to think this through, and make it work.

Regards

Andrew

OP
OP
A

Andrew G M

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Abergele
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Andrew I think you have answered your own question, you have decided what you want are as sure as you can be, thought of the options, so I would think you will go for it.

Good Luck, keep the questions coming,

PS. we are only about 20 mile from you. :Smile: Ed and I are off touring N. Wales for the next couple of weeks as you say a lot on our own doorsteps.

Thanks Carol

If I take the plunge, I would really apreciate any tips for North Wales.

Quiet sites preferably, just somewhere to escape from the SSDD.

Andrew

OP
OP
A

Andrew G M

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Abergele
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
"If I get it wrong and have to off load in say 12 months, I reckon it will cost about £10 k in deprn" YEP...if its a new motorhome... spot on

"my first ever test drive of a MH two weeks ago lasted 10 minutes only to find myself back on the showground with a 6 foot gash down the side of the new Aspire, and the rear bumper hanging off" Whoooooooo:Eeek::Doh:::bigsmile:riving2::hardhat::hardhat:

"considering buying a MH for 6 months, and still cannot decide....nagging doubts".

You seem very unsure about buying the motorhome....so maybe its not the right time for you "Not a great start to your MHing career"

May be this is your best route at the moment.....
quad-two-tandems-21226359.jpg

img_8066.jpg

camping_tents.jpg

:Confused:

Or you could say.... to hell with it.... YES ...we will get one and enjoy ourselves........how many lives have we got on this earth......ONE ...live it:party2::france::party2:

Hope you decide to buy a motorhome:thumb:...Good luck....Mel

Hi

Tried cycling, but legs too hairy, too much wind resistance.

Tried camping, still got all the gear, but just a tad too basic, and damp. Got really ticked off trogging to the toilet block 3 times a night !

A mh it has to be

Regards

Andrew

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A

Andrew G M

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Abergele
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I had been hankering after a MH for a few years but my sensible head thought it would be wiser to wait until we retire (20 years for me) cos it's a lot of money to sit in the driveway all week. THEN 4 friends of mine were diagnosed with cancer, two of whom have since died, both with small children. This kinda put things into perspective for me i.e I might never see retirement! so we took the plunge. I'd say if you can afford it then go for it, live every day like it's your last coz one day it will be! :Smile::thumb::thumb::Cool:

Hi

Thank you for your post, and so very sorry to hear about your friends.

Cancer is such a terrible disease, and it always seems to claim such lovely people. It can be a very cruel world.

My wife lost her best friend ten years ago, and two months ago a close colleague that first introduced us. Both had young children.

When dreadful things like this happen, it really does make you think.

I personally had a health scare last month. A dodgy ecg seemed to indicate i had had a heart attack, and might need a bypass. After a long stressful 72 hours an angiogram proved nothing to worry about.

This is perhaps /probably one of the reasons i am on here seriously considering spending quite a chunk of our savings on a mh.

Regards

Andrew

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks Bluemooner

I am glad you have raised the payload issue, as to be honest i don't fully understand it.

The dealer (Vehicles4leisure - Prestatyn), tell me that the payload with the 4 of us should not be an issue, although for a hefty £1,350 the spec says a 4000kg chasis upgrade will net another 150kg. necessary or not ? Also, is it major job, or does the dealer do it on site ?

Does anyone here have any experience of the above dealer. They seem very professional and courteous so far, even at the time the Aspire got trashed on the test drive?

Andrew

My view of the payload is that is a bit on the low side for what equates to nearly 4 fully grown adults. Even with the upgrade IMV it will still be a bit tight especially if you include taking bikes, sports equipment etc with you:

Maximum Total Permitted Laden Mass: 3850kgs
Mass in running order: 3375kgs
Maximum user payload: 475kgs

So, 475kg less:
Personal Effects Payload 114kgs
Optional Equipment Payload 156kgs
Conventional Load 225kgs = this is actually only 205kgs - they can't add up!

Also, have you thought about how easy etc it is going to be to park such a large motorhome if you want to go somewhere?

Not tryin to put you off, but just ensure that you have thought of this in practical terms with your 'head' as well as with your 'heart'.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back