Should we, shouldn't we but a mh now ??

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Andrew G M, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Andrew G M

Andrew G M Read Only Funster

We have now been considering buying a MH for 6 months, and still cannot decide.

We have done all the research, been in more MH's than had hot dinners, and come full circle from a practical 6 berth Overcab mh which we both hate, to the not so practical, but very desirable Elddis Aspire 265.

We absolutely love the Aspire, and feel we could have at least some of the fun you Funsters appear to be having from reading this Forum.

However, my nagging doubts are as follows :

1. We are both in our late 40's with a teenage girl 16, and a teenage lad 14.

After the initial novelty I suspect neither of them will want to go in the MH for the w/end, and the honest reality is, it more about escapism for SWMBO and my self rather than the kids.

At 16/14 though they are both just a tad too young to leave at home.

2. Although the Aspire will fit on the Drive, it will mean juggling our other two cars on the driveway. Do-able, but hassle.

There is scope to lose some lawn if necessary if it worked out in the long run.

3. The financial committment is huge although do-able. If I get it wrong and have to off load in say 12 months, I reckon it will cost about £10 k in deprn. That's about the same as 2/3 trips abroad for the family.

4. Finally, and not that I am superstitious, but my first ever test drive of a MH two weeks ago lasted 10 minutes only to find myself back on the showground with a 6 foot gash down the side of the new Aspire, and the rear bumper hanging off.

A long story for another post, but in short a car full of teenagers had clipped the MH as I passed. Everyone thought I had gone over a pothole when it happened.

Not a great start to our MHing career.

At the moment I am totally caught between conflicting thoughts of 'just do it', and 'don't be a fool.'

If anyone has any experience or thoughts I really would be grateful.

Many thanks

Andrew

2. milesofsmiles

milesofsmiles Read Only Funster

Ummm.. I would say do it....

I agree at 14/16 it is probably not there idea of "fun" but to be honest give it a few years and nothing you will be doing will be there idea of fun....by then you will have gained some experience and know what it is all about, and then can decide if you want to carry on.

On the other hand, we took 15yr old G daughter out for a few days and she loved it, and cant wait to go again, she is also talking about "Ibiza with friends" when she leaves college, that will come round far too quickly so we are "going to make hay while the sun is shining" so to speak:Laughing:

3. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Go for the van the two of you want and go for it now:thumb:

4. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

I would say go for it still probably enjoy it for a couple of years, camp sites in Europe usually have plenty of large pools etc to keep teenagers happy.

One thing I would not do is risk taking a 10k hit, find the van you like, then buy one 12/24 months old, they usually have a low mileage and the toys fitted, so then the risk is smaller and someone else will have ironed out the problems and paid the price.

Welcome, and keep asking questions. :welcomefunster:

5. busby

busby Funster

Hire one for a week and try it. If you dont take to it you have probably lost a grand but will have had a holiday.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Caro Says it all, secondhand and see what you really want, how you get on etc. Oh and welcome aboard.:thumb:

7. Andrew G M

We have looked at hiring one, but the ones for hire in my area just don't fit the bill. Wrong layout, antwacky, smelly, just not doing it for me !

8. ojibway

ojibway Funster

Hey andrew gm,
    do it or regret not doing it (every time you see a motorhome go by you'll say to yourself "that could have been me":cry:)

And, as Carol said - buy a used one!:thumb:

If you have an awning the teenagers can sleep in there. That's what we did - yes, we slept in the awning, see here - when we had a caravan and the kids wanted to bring friends. When our daughter brought her boyfriend they slept in a tent!

Our small Sprinter James Cook conversion sleeps four and we take the grandchildren out sometimes. We took our granddaughter to France a couple of years ago. So it doesn't have to be huge.

There are bargains out there:Cool:
    Mike and Annie

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I'm going to disagree and say do NOT do it - it is a very big outlay and if you are not sure enough to be able to make the decision yourself then you shouldn't spend the amount of money you are proposing.

I would however agree that the best thing you can do is hire one, you don't have to hire one near you, decide where abouts you would like to have a holiday and see what's available near there. You might love it and at the same time learn what it actually means to be a motorhomer and all the bits and pieces you have to do, or you might totally hate it in which case, as has been said, you will still have had a holiday but not have the massive financial commitment.

Sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but you haven't yet been able to decide what layout you really want / need, so buying whilst you're still confused is a very bad thing and could easily end in tears.

10. spannermanwigan

spannermanwigan Read Only Funster

Personally , my advice would be try before you buy.
    Lots of hire companies out there,

We have a 15 year old daughter who loves our van like we do.

Dont do as our friends did, buy one first take only three weeks holiday in
    it in two years , then took a 7 grand hit when they decided it wasnt for
    them.

regards
    Steve:thumb:

11. blamehofman

blamehofman Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome . We were in a similar position a few years ago with a 12 year old boy .

We had done years of family camping with the tent which I think slightly helps the move to a motorhome .

We first purchased a older used model to test the water so to speak and after a year of various trips including France and Spain he was as hooked as we were.

The one thing I will say with teenagers is entertainment , they need their tellys , dvd's , internet and gaming . We also had a bike rack fitted and take a porch awning so he can have his own space if needed .

Now as soon as he is away from our area and his mates cant see him in Dads uncool motorhome he enjoys it as much as we do.

One thing I do regret is not getting one earlier because his older Brother who is now 26 missed out having flown the nest before the van arrived and now keeps saying those words "Dad can me and my mate's borrow the motorhome" :Eeek:.

Mick & Ann .

12. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Layout is king in our opinion. Make sure you get that right.
    We had caravanned for years before buying a motorhome , so we knew which layout would suit us , our 3 teenagers and 2 dogs. I think because of that , we knew it was something we all enjoyed and could cope with on a cold wet , miserable , evening in it. :Smile: We chose a 3 year old model over a newer version of the same model. It had a better build quality and had been the dealer special so had lots of extras when manufactured . With having one previous owner , they had fitted things we would have wanted and also left ramps , zipstore etc. They also had taken the money hit:thumb:
    Kids are all different.
    Our eldest was 18 yesterday , and would come with us more if he wasn't at college and working on his days off. He loves it.
    The twins who will be 16 on Wednesday have different ideas on the other hand. Isabel likes it , if we are somewhere where she and a friend ( the deal breaker :Rofl1:) , can explore and do their thing.
    Isaac at the moment would rather stick pins in his eyes.:Rofl1:
    Yet we have just had over a week away together in it and because we were somewhere different everyday , and did lots of different things he loved it along with everyone else .
    I think the relaxing weekend in a field with a village pub to walk to are lost on him now. :Sad:Throw ice skating , body boarding , bmx'ing , rock climbing , swimming , into the mix and hes definitely going :RollEyes:

13. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

If you need to ask on here, total strangers with an obvious bias, then the answer has to be NO.

14. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi you say you have done rsearch and if hiring is out of the question then do the next best thing and research second hand prices and buy :thumb: Thatway if bought at the right price you will be able to sell without taking a big hit :thumb:
    terry

15. Andrew G M

Our 14 year old son is all up for it, all 13 stone 6ft of him. He is definitely not into anything too strenuous, but could probably persuade him to go on the odd bike ride. Failing that, he would be quite happy plugged into the laptop for the duration.

Our 16 year old daughter is more sceptical, and the thought of having to share a bed with her brother in the Aspire was met with 'over my dead body'. She even suggested I shared with my son, and she could share with her mother. Not quite what i had in mind.

I have been keeping an eye out for a second hand Aspire, but not yet seen one. Not sure if that is good or bad.

As we live in North Wales there must be dozens and dozens of great places within an hours drive, and the thought of getting home on a Friday evening, and just escaping for a couple of nights sounds great.

16. Terry

Terry Funster

17. Andrew G M

Thanks Terry

Can only seem to find new ones at that link for £44500+£1350 otr costs.

The deal i have been offered is a new one for £45.5 k otr including awning, tv, and bike rack. It seems a good deal !

Thanks

Andrew

18. Terry

Terry Funster

sounds ok to me but you can always squeese a little more out of dealers face to face :Wink:Try and ask on here about the dealer and after service :thumb:It seems that all new vans have (crap)faults built in :Doh: Not a lot of good if you end up takeing van back a few times :Eeek:Me I would not take the van off the forcourt until I had checked everything was working :thumb: even if that meant kipping on the forecourt :BigGrin:
    terry
    I recently made a 200 miles each way trip to buy a van with my mate (18 mths old van,he was buying )and the selling dealer had a small snagging list that I found about another half dozen things wrong to add to :thumb: Then the deal was made giving them 5 days to repair and deliver the paid for van :thumb:He promissed everything would be done :thumb:---I told mate to check it all had been done before acepting it but he simply took the van and dropped the driver off at train station :Doh:This has prooved to be a basic stupid mistake because half the faults suposedly fixed were not :Eeek::Angry: and the main one a broken roof vent top was simply removed from the back to the front and front to back :Doh: so he checked the back one but not the front :Doh::cry::Eeek: Long story short the van still has faults that should have been fixed only now it is a 200 mile trip each way to get them fixed :Sad:I have fixed half a dozen things and the others he will live with until he wants me to fix them as well :Doh::BigGrin:
    terry

19. Bluemooner

Bluemooner Funster Life Member

Sell the kids and put the money towards a Motorhome:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: We have the Aspire 255 and love it if you are buying an Aspire make sure it has the payload weight increase on it

20. Andrew G M

Thanks Bluemooner

Can't even give the kids away, let alone sell them.

I am glad you have raised the payload issue, as to be honest i don't fully understand it.

The dealer (Vehicles4leisure - Prestatyn), tell me that the payload with the 4 of us should not be an issue, although for a hefty £1,350 the spec says a 4000kg chasis upgrade will net another 150kg. necessary or not ? Also, is it major job, or does the dealer do it on site ?

Does anyone here have any experience of the above dealer. They seem very professional and courteous so far, even at the time the Aspire got trashed on the test drive?

Andrew