Should we keep the caravan?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by CarolineA, Mar 16, 2011.

1. CarolineA

CarolineA Read Only Funster

I want a motorhome. My other half wants to keep the caravan:cry:

They are so cool and I can see the benefits, but my husband can only see negatives the main issue being cost. We could afford it but he is very tight!! How can I convince him I am right? Please help:Smile:

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Horses for courses.. Depends on how you plan to use, there are pros and cons for both.

If you mainly stay on sites for several days or more, IMO a caravan wins, as you have a car to go sight seeing.. but if you plan to tour, stopping only for a night or two and use aires or free parking places, a motorhome is the tool.

Having used both extensively, the only downside with a caravan is not being able to use on aires and wild camp.

I'm going back to a caravan as I can't afford or justify running two vehicles.. and I don't want a camper van to replace my car as it is neither a good motorhome nor a good car .. it's too much of a compromise... others will have their own opinion, especially the Vdub owners .. :Laughing:

ohh .. i almost forget... welcome to the site

3. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hello and welcome to Motorhome fun, the one thing I would ask is if you have young children, if so I would stick with the caravan, if its just you two then I would seriously think of a Motorhome, you have the choice to get to and park in places you can not with a caravan, just a sence of more freedom with motorhome, look around and see what is on the market for a comfortable budget, no sence in stretching youselves so far that you can not use it when you want to. Good Luck with whatever your choice.

4. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi and Welcome

Must say I agree with Jim on this one. As you can see from avatar have done both, the reason we changed was the wish to tour and not stay put on sites.
    We never stay more than 2 days on any site and have found that a motorhome is the ideal tool for the job.
    As you can see it's a matter of choice and no particular one is right, it just depends what is right for you at any particular time, I know that if we found that we did not tour so much and stayed put, would not think twice about returning to caravans, as you have more room normally.

Possibly it could be worth hiring one to see what you thought of it, some people never like motorhomes.

Hope this helps
    Best of luck

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

5. buttons

buttons Funster

Absolutely no contest Caroline, keep the caravan. Motor homes are great but so are caravans. If buying a motor home is going to concern your husband then stay with the caravan. Second hand motor homes can be expensive to maintain and will spend a lot of time on your drive taxed and depreciating. I doubt your husband is tight he is probably more of a realist than you and can see not just to good parts of owning a motor home. :thumb:

6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Caroline, be like my wife and say that you wanting one should be enough:Doh::Smile:
    Caravans and motorhomes do very different jobs, infact having both is a great idea. Caravans are great for two week holidays on the same site. You can do this with a motorhome too, but if its all you do its a waste of money because a caravan will suffice.

If you like to be packed and ready to go and have a night or a weekend away a motorhome is better than a caravan. Most caravanners take weeks planning a simple getaway. Motorhomers like to keep the van ready and can leave at a moments notice.

If you want to stop on route and put the kettle on then, most caravans are chock full of stuff for travel, deck chairs, water and waste carriers, awnings etc, the caravan is useless untill its on site. The motorhome can deliver a cup of tea in comfortable surroundings in the time it takes the kettle to boil.

If you want to stop and take a pee on route, you'll probably have to empty the caravan first, and you won't be able to wash your hands afterwards! no such problem with the motorhome, all of the facilities are always instantly available.

If you want to tour France (and you should) your caravan is not allowed to use the superb Aires system which are exclusivley for motorhomes.

If you want to travel with a smile on your face, then you need a motorhome, caravanners, it seems to me, travel only with trepadation, dreading the parking, unpacking and spending an hour sorting out before the can open a beer without being nagged to do something else. Motorhomes are quick, handbrake on, then *[beer] :Smile: (*insert favourite tipple here)

A motorhomefun sticker will look better on a new motorhome:Smile:

Put your foot down, use your feminine charms:BigGrin: But ultimately tell him if he does not like after a month or two it you will sell it and buy another caravan, don't worry he'll like it:BigGrin: Let's hope we welcome you to the world of motorhomes soon:Smile:

Welcome to the Fun:thumb:

7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Yesterday I advised a man to shoot his wife in preferance to a divorce
    Same advise here, shoot him:thumb:
    Welcome to the Fun Site
    See you on a Fun meet in your new Motor home:Wink:
    Singles Forum can be found on here too:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    Geo

8. joncris

joncris Read Only Funster

Hi & Welcome

We have just disposed of our very well appointed caravan in favour of an RV The reason being that since the kids stopped coming & the fact that my health has worsened the wife had been left to do all of the fetching a carrying, & with an RV those burdens are lessened.

However despite all of that now we have made the change knowing what we now know we would have made the change years ago.

We would highly recommend it:thumb:

9. Sneezles

Sneezles Read Only Funster

We had a caravan for years and it sat in the drive unused!

It was the whole towing onto site, not being allowed on until 12.00 at some places and having to get off by 10.00a.m and then having to either go home or leave it parked in a desolate area of the campsite until you then returned!

We got a motorhome and we use it lots, I find the trip starts as soon as you leave the house, you can amble onto your destination stopping off on the way if you see anything interesting, no more waiting to get onto site to start your break!
    The same goes on the way back, we set off and often find some other place to have a look at that wouldnt have been possible with a caravan attached.

We rarely book sites now, tending to just wait and see where we end up now and find most places have spaces or if not then somewhere not far away will!

We also use ours alot for day trips out, we go to some of the bigger horsey events and will often go in the MH and it gives you somewhere to have a cuppa and some lunch instead of eating the expensive rubbish at the burger vans! Couldnt really do that in a caravan.

We have had the MH 2 years now and would not have another caravan.

As others have said, if you got away for a week at a time and stay put in the area then it is great with a caravan but if you want to be more adventurous and not so set where you are going then a MH it is.

Besides, does hubby not know his place?? :Doh:Remember, what we want, we get (In the end):Rofl1:

10. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

Unlike many of the Funsters we also use our MH to stay for a few days on sites. We take our bikes on the back and make it a general rule to only visit places we can cycle to. Last year after 3 weeks in France we came back fitter, browner and feeling better than we ever did when we had a caravan. We also enjoyed some little villages with markets that we would have driven by when we had the car and caravan. We changed over from the caravan last year and the only difficult adjustment for us was the much smaller kitchen. The huge advantage is being able to use the MH for days out. We were mad keen caravanners but we're even keener motorhomers. Go for it!

11. motor roamin

motor roamin Funster

Hi & :flyingwelcome: First get rid of the tight wad and get what you want :Rofl1::Rofl1:

We had a caravan for one season having sold our RV, that one season turned out to be one trip, Rosie (the sensible one) advised me (I use the term lightly of course) that a caravan at 20' was too small and if I wanted to carry on not going in five star hotels (the ladys preference) then I must buy another RV , much more room more usable when traveling and when we get there we have a car on the back.

Simples. Swop the old man and the caravan :Rofl1: just my opinion of course.

All the best and look forward to seeing you both in your new motorhome:thumb:

Rick and Rosie

12. Wheelie

Wheelie Read Only Funster

Hi
    You could have the best of both worlds, ditch the caravan and buy a 5th wheel caravan, much more room only takes me 15mins to get pitched up, you still have your truck for sight seeing.
    Cheaper than a motorhome and you don't have to stay on a site for 2 weeks like with a caravan as most of your gear stays where it is, we only put the tele away as its not fixed at the moment 1/2 an hour and were away.
    hope this hasn't confused you even more

Neil

13. joncris

joncris Read Only Funster

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

14. scotjimland

That's a new one on me ... I toured most of Europe with a caravan... sometimes we stayed a week , other times one or two nights, and you can be up and away as quickly as a motorhome, there's no need to put up a huge awning with a full set of patio furniture.

There seems to be a lot of red herrings on this thread regarding caravans.. You can stop and have a brew or a meal, use the loo etc .. just as easy as a motorhome. There is no need to fill it up with junk.. :Doh:

I'm not pro or con motor caravan or caravan ... one has an engine attached, the other on board ..

As I said earlier, for me personally, the main drawback with a caravan is not being able to use Aires.. that also applies to a 5er

15. Wheelie

I was actually quoting something that was said earlier in the thread in regard to the 2 week scenario but in saying that i would still state that the majority of people who own a caravan do tend to stay for more than a few nights but as with anything there are the exception to the rule, and as for the aires yes that is a con to a caravan and 5er but for me personally its a con i will live with

16. scotjimland

Yes I agree,

Sorry, I misunderstood and misquoted your last post ...

17. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Not in my (limited) experience. I have toured France in a MH while a friend came along with a caravan, they had no water on tap, their fresh water roll along thing, and their waste water tote, took up most of the free space their van, (it was small) the shower/loo was full of awning and poles. With no outside lockers, the chairs and table were inside for travel too. Every enroute meal, drink and pee happened in our motorhome.

In the mornings we could easily be ready to move 45mins before them, but, if you are touring; 45 minutes is nothing and certainly nothing to get stressed about. I'm sure it can be done, and the little inconveniences are more than made up by how cheap a caravan is to run. If I could not afford a motorhome I would have no qualms about having a caravan, infact I was looking at buying one only recently:Smile:

18. Wheelie

No problem, life would be boring if we all had the same view
    Cheers :thumb:

19. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Mmm, your other half sounds as if he is a tugger through and through............

Do what we do up here in Norfolk-
    Put him in the caravan and reverse it into the village pond.
    If it sinks and he drowns, he might not have been completely indoctrinated and might have changed his mind.
    If it floats, then he must be a caravanner, he'll never change his mind and should be burned in his caravan. (picture the scene from the Wicker Man!)
    Either way, you can claim on the life insurance and get yourself a nice shiny motorhome!

-Simples!:BigGrin:

20. rob kinnear

rob kinnear Read Only Funster

We had a caravan for about ten years last year we made the jump to a Motor home and would not go back to a caravan again, We use our van at least once a week and it is always ready to go. Neighbours have told us that the we have used the motor home far more than any caravan, as others have said everything is in the van and it is easy to be self sufficient even if you just go to local park for the you will always have a convient place to go if needed.

All the best
    Rob and Sue
    P S if you are unsure why not hire one for a weekend to try