Should Van Bitz take deposits from "Funsters?" (1 Viewer)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
A Moral

last year we had a wine spill on a cream carpit, the insurance company had thier agents fit a new carpit, the fitting was total cXXP and after 6 months they agreed to lift and remove the capit and pay us the value.

WE now had to sort our supplier/fitter

1st up was the company who had origanly fitted the carpit 6 years ago, they went bust just as we were going to pay a depoit ( lucky escape)

next up was a company that wanted full payment 4 days prior to fitting, no chance:ROFLMAO:

we wandered into a old carpit shop, they were dealers for our carpit and wanted no payment untill it was fitted to our satifaction,:thumb::thumb:

guess who got the order

and we are extremly happy with the job

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Sorry but this may be a bit controversial but as someone who has recently purchased the growler and solar panels from Eddie, and is happy with the service, I think that you need to consider (rightly or wrongly) that someone pitching up the night before, has little or no guidance on what is expected. We were loaded up after a month away, and used a small pup tent to put a lot of our stuff in during the day whilst the work was done, just felt it would be easier for Eddies team to carry out the work. We were not sure where to put the tent and there was no one around to get clarification from. Bottom line is if we had been met with an issue about pitching, it would have reflected on the expected job the we were booking in for, and certainly would have been concerned about parting in our case about ÂŁ1800.00 pounds. Customer service starts from minute one and does not finish. Don't get us wrong, the site is brilliant, and The work done is excellent, but Eddie and the staff at the site do need to consider the expectations of their customers. We will be back! If they let us after this.

:thumb::cry::Doh:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
We don't ask for a deposit either and long may that continue to be the case. We did take a deposit on one job which involved replacing an expensive water heater, we ordered the one detailed to us by the customer (thick end of a grand's worth). When he arrived to have it fitted it was the wrong one (he'd misquoted the details of the unit) and we had a proper pallava getting it sorted, thankfully the supplier took the unit back with only a handling charge but we ended up refunding the deposit as a "goodwill gesture" only for the custard to then opt to go elsewhere for the replacement accusing us of being "up to no good and incompetent" so we lost out financially (although not a huge sum) and wasted over half a day in total trying to be helpful.

Don't bother with deposits Ed, total PITA in my experience, yes we get the occasional no show, or the occasional one who thinks we owe him/her something from the get go and should kow tow to him/her (and they generally get short shrift from either me or Jackie) but thankfully in this industry they are few and far between and over the years I have become a firm believer in Karma, they reap what they sow in the end. The majority of our customers are really nice people and we have made a lot of good friends over the years that we are more than happy to have as customers.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Sorry but this may be a bit controversial but as someone who has recently purchased the growler and solar panels from Eddie, and is happy with the service, I think that you need to consider (rightly or wrongly) that someone pitching up the night before, has little or no guidance on what is expected. We were loaded up after a month away, and used a small pup tent to put a lot of our stuff in during the day whilst the work was done, just felt it would be easier for Eddies team to carry out the work. We were not sure where to put the tent and there was no one around to get clarification from. Bottom line is if we had been met with an issue about pitching, it would have reflected on the expected job the we were booking in for, and certainly would have been concerned about parting in our case about ÂŁ1800.00 pounds. Customer service starts from minute one and does not finish. Don't get us wrong, the site is brilliant, and The work done is excellent, but Eddie and the staff at the site do need to consider the expectations of their customers. We will be back! If they let us after this.

:thumb::cry::Doh:

Fair point, but it's usually clear where your pitch is , isn't it?

I have been to Cornish Farm and I didn't have any issues or confusion.

I always assume I am driving a British caravan and reversing in.

Your pitch is then on the habitation door side.

It used to confuse me when I had a German van though:Doh:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
The best customers are the ones that tell the supplier what they want and when they want it, turn up when arranged don't quibble over the pre arranged price and pay on collection.

This type of customer understands that things can and do go wrong

They also understand that the time wasting no shows and the ones that think no one else matters apart from them take the pi$$ out of your good honest nature.

There are good and bad in all.

If I say I'm going to be somewhere at a certain time I will be there if not a bit early.
And when I agree to do work for someone the only thing that will stop me turning up for the job will be my coffin.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
There is no reason why you cant ask for a ten percent deposit.

There is no reason why in genuine cases you cannot refund that deposit eg someone has booked and the motorhome vandalised as one example.

Its all about what is fair and reasonable. Ive never found you NOT to be fair and reasonable xxxx

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I do ask for up front money most of the time.

There are so many shits round here that it sorts the wheat from the chaff.

A different type of service ,if we get a little *hit turn up with no funds , the car keys are kept out of sight, until payment is cleared.:thumb:

Some youngsters hit their cars and have no money :Eeek: I do the right thing and ask for no deposit to start with but when it`s done I make sure it`s all cleared in the end:thumb:
Usually Mummy comes along with a card:Doh:

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I am at eddies at the moment, had strike back and solar fitted today, Eddie is sorting a problem discovered during installation, nothing to do with his work, a true professional. I was surprised when I booked that he didn't want a deposit, i would certainly have been happy to pay a deposit.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
i think I know who it was...

It was Mrs Eddie No Bitz protesting at the mean sod not giving her enough money for the groceries, so she left in a huff, parked on the site in her VW camper and then it all blew up from there,, That's is...

Go on you mean sod, you are as bad as Ed Milibland when it comes to the cost of shopping...:winky:

OP
OP
eddie

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I believe it`s a (old school ) principle here.

Customers have asked me if they can leave a certain amount to cover items but i always say no, that`s ok.

I always think that , if they are happy with what`s being done then that is fine.

I don`t leave a deposit with Asda before i go shopping. i pay as i leave.

Maybe it`s just the way the world is getting now, but i bet it won`t bother Ed to change the way of a lifetime-- and the customers that go to him will appreciate him sticking to some old principles.

I may get the odd one mess me about but i won`t be a Hitler on everyone else, i would feel pressurizing them to pay up before anything has been done is not the way.

i think I know who it was...

It was Mrs Eddie No Bitz protesting at the mean sod not giving her enough money for the groceries, so she left in a huff, parked on the site in her VW camper and then it all blew up from there,, That's is...

Go on you mean sod, you are as bad as Ed Milibland when it comes to the cost of shopping...:winky:

Lol being Welsh, Mrs Van Bitz keeps all the money and gives me pocket money lol

M

Madwife

Deleted User
We had a lovely stay at Cornish Farm last year and had some scheduled work done too -plus some un scheduled as decided to get gaslow while we were there:roflmto:

As the Wyaye pack would only get in the way while Eddie's staff got all the work sorted out we put up our tent next to our pitch to house the dogs - a quick check with the warden was all that was needed to make sure we had it on the correct side as I am easily confused:ROFLMAO:

We are also luck enough to have a rainbow appear completely over the MH but didn't spy any gold or leprechauns:ROFLMAO:

Kath

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 40

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
We had a lovely stay at Cornish Farm last year and had some scheduled work done too -plus some un scheduled as decided to get gaslow while we were there:roflmto:

As the Wyaye pack would only get in the way while Eddie's staff got all the work sorted out we put up our tent next to our pitch to house the dogs - a quick check with the warden was all that was needed to make sure we had it on the correct side as I am easily confused:ROFLMAO:

We are also luck enough to have a rainbow appear completely over the MH but didn't spy any gold or leprechauns:ROFLMAO:

Kath

Who's the fat bloke? :Blush:

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
Loads of work done by Vanbitz, loads of advice by them and always able to help even when we were in Germany and l had a brain block moment. And it isnt just the "mob" in the Vanbitz section the warden at Cornish Farms was great at giving me help and advice and keeps the place spotless. Anyone who abuses Vanbitz or Cornish needs a good kicking in a very painful place.

Only had one thing not fitted to CB by Vanbitz and l felt guilty as hell (was a bike rack) but it was getting complicated and the fitters did a call out which with my work schedule is easier :Blush:

We will be going up in a few months and have a peruse before we go to see if anything other than the stikeback yearly check adding :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back