Should Van Bitz take deposits from "Funsters?" (1 Viewer)

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Oi, I was in chapel reading from the WRU handbook and singing (badly) Rhondda Grey...

Interesting that the 'Funsters' involved have not come on here to defend themselves and their reputation,

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
You recon ?
Does that mean he is in for punishment at a meeting --

Who will administer the lashes, a RV owner , or a Burstner owner, that would really hurt:ROFLMAO:
M'lud, I base my suspicions on the fact that out of all who joined into this thread, HE was the only one to knock back the deposit idea!
The Crown calls for the maximum sentence for this offence, DEATH BY BONGO! :whatthe:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you asked me for a deposit for a stock item/service I'd say no. I'm trusting you, you trust me.

I'm offering you business, I am your living.

More often than not it is the supplier that defaults, providing none or shoddy work.

Naturally this generalisation is skewed because of FUN knowledge but most of your clients won't be from FUN.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
There are these on this thread looking , or sweating , come on , own up :ROFLMAO:

oner8888, Bellini, eddievanbitz, tomm2, Vlad The Impaler, big bertha, arao99, olley, janveg, Waves, ShiftZZ, Ninovan, haganap, pandj, JJ, catspyjamas, lefthandrive, SomeoneElse, Chris, Bluemooner, andyman, Rapido925M, Robinhood, CaravanFreak, REKERLY, Gooney, TheBig1, Richgj, Encantador, rolyk

Not me, old boy. ::bigsmile:

Udo's been sat in storage for the past few weeks and isn't out until this Friday when we're off to Henley for the weekend and then off somewhere else for next week.

I'd dearly love to have some work done with Eddie. Truly.:thumb:

OP
OP
eddie

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If you asked me for a deposit for a stock item/service I'd say no. I'm trusting you, you trust me.

I must have said that thousands of times over the years. We have always taken cheques for example, sometimes for thousands from customers and only ever had issues with cheques and cards from the "trade"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I must have said that thousands of times over the years. We have always taken cheques for example, sometimes for thousands from customers and only ever had issues with cheques and cards from the "trade"

So, what's your percentage of 'no-shows' eddie?

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Sorry Eddie, that's bad form.

In my (lighting) company we often give visitor items to take away and try out at home. I've done this for 10 years and (touch wood) have not had anyone who has not returned the goods or popped back to pay for them.

We don't have to do this, as most expect to either pay for the item or pay a deposit. But the net result is they trust us because we trust them.

I suspect over the years it has generated more business, both from those customers and from friends and family to whom they recommend our company.

Bad Funsters - hang your head in shame :Angry:

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Definitely take a deposit of say 10% ... the same discount you kindly offer funsters

OP
OP
eddie

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
So, what's your percentage of 'no-shows' eddie?

It's our first ever "funster" :Angry:

We get short notice postponements, which we expect. A very high percentage of our business is repeat or referral. This means that people are dependent on dealers and importers and things go wrong.

After nearly 25 years we expect this, which is why we have our "waiting list" for people that need work undertaken quicker than we can manage. So a call today to say that "my appointment next Friday" can be swapped with one perhaps the week after? so everyone is happy.

A short notice cancellation due to illness it totally understandable.

Not showing up or phoning to cancel because you don't like being asked to take your drive away awning off of some one else's pitch isn't lol

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Not me either, we just back from rainy Gairloch. We usually down your way in September if we're allowed if a yes vote.::bigsmile:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I'm quite happy to pay a deposit in most cases.

However after the atrocious and frankly rude service we received recently on an expensive item purchased at the NEC show in February, I will never again pay the full price in advance.:Angry:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I'm on the no deposit side. However nice eddievanbitz may be, and MHF's personal knowledge of him and the company it is one of many set up to provide a service to the leisure industry and has to take the good with the bad. As Brian said it works both ways, good and bad on both sides and that no doubt includes Funsters. Anyway it can't be me I'm in the Faroes. :Smile:

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
That is naughty not cancelling but also gives us Funsters a bad name. We've always been lucky with our customers when we have had no shows it usually turns out to be someone who found us on the the internet but they have been few and far between. in the 27 years we were in business we only had one none payer of a bill some one Rich knew and unfortunalely he died so we wrote the bill off. The one none show we had , we were waiting for a part to come in from main agent ( was when Pugeot Citroen in France had hit the recession and were on a go slow so to speak) it took 4 weeks ( came in sooner than eta) customer booked in to have it fitted but did not show we tried telephoning no answer, we wrote to him seemed he had dissappeared. Normally after two weeks the main agenty would not take back correctly ordered items but as we were on good terms with the parts manager after having the part for over a month he did take it back. Because of this if we had to order in parts that were a special order Rich asked the customer to pay for it before we ordered it explaining why , they were happy to comply.

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Deposits

Take a deposit, enough to cover the labour, then a least you won't be out of pocket and you've still got the stock. There is only so much good will to share around!

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Oi, I was in chapel reading from the [HI]WRU handbook [/HI]and singing (badly) Rhondda Grey...

Interesting that the 'Funsters' involved have not come on here to defend themselves and their reputation,

I don't have a copy any longer but I always have a deck of cards :winky:

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
When I looked at fitting an alarm my dealer offered me a cheap deal, but I had no hesitation in having a Strikeback fitted, even though it was much more expensive. I wanted a dedicated alarm fitted by a dedicated high-reputation well established business. You should not trade as though you are just another backstreet fitter. You are not, you are the industry standard others are measured by. Such a standing should command some advantages. You should not allocate expensive time without any commitment by the customer, and I would have been comfortable paying 20% up front to secure my appointment.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
AS I'M sure you know who these people are

why not ask for a deposit for future work from

those who abuse your system:Smile:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
In reply to the first post
I see it as their loss but they're obviously not bright enough to figure that out either
How would it have been if some muppet had put an awning in their pitch?

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I may be Sparticus::bigsmile:

but Im not the non showing funster:Angry:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Sounds like their loss and Eddies gain, who wants customers like that that dont keep their word.

They would no doubt be agro to deal with anyway

Peter

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I would take a non refundable deposit, whch I did in my old line of work, as it was often booked months in advance and no way to fill in a no show on short notice.:thumb:

As for not emailing or ringing you that's just rude. No phone ? Surely they could have put a note in somewhere at your place....just rude.:Doh:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I would suggest Eddie you send them in the post a bill to cover your men's time whilst waiting for them to show before they could get on with another paying job ,problem solved that is what another company would do.

They were either really upset by your warden, or have a could not care less attitude. I think having meet you, doubt you would employ anyone less than 100% professional as you are passionate about what you do and your reputation has been earned through honest dealings with customers treating them as you would like to be treated yourself.
It takes all sorts Eddie::bigsmile:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
I suggest you carry on as were Eddie otherwise it means that the very odd few percent that are a complete waste of space have won and another rule is made just to make it more difficult for the many who always play it straight

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
As its the first Funster to renege on a deal I would say carry on as you are.

After all there are quite a few thousand members now so bound to be a few pillocks amongst that lot, they cant all be as nice as you and me. :ROFLMAO:

Maybe they were inside that portaloo that went over at Carmarthan and haven't forgiven you yet, if not then maybe they should have been. :ROFLMAO:

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
[HI]I suggest you carry on as were Eddie[/HI] otherwise it means that the very odd few percent that are a complete waste of space have won and another rule is made just to make it more difficult for the many who always play it straight

[HI]That[/HI]

If someone bitches and whines because they've been asked not to pitch like a selfish dick, then chances they'll be more trouble than they're worth as a customer :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back