Should Van Bitz take deposits from "Funsters?"

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by eddievanbitz, May 20, 2014.

1. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

I have been asked this question this morning by some of my staff after a "No show" I remain resolute in a emphatic "NO" not needed.

It seems that a couple of funsters, didn't turn up for their appointment this morning, which was a Strikeback with additional accessories, and a solar panel.

That means that we have three fitters this morning, stood around with nothing to do (two for Strikeback and one for the panel)

The office has rung and been told that they are "very angry" with us :Eeek:

It would appear that they arrived next door at our camp site yesterday lunch time and booked in. Then proceeded to their marked gravelled pitch and decided to erect their drive away awning, on next doors pitch!

Our warden was out and about on his "tractor" (He loves it lol) Anyway he said that they had used "next doors" pitch.

Screams and shouts ensued (I wasn't there so don't know that much) but I cannot believe that is takes very long to erect a drive away awning, nor would it be very hard to move. However, the site is busy, and had it been left where it was, their neighbours would have had to sit on the gravelled road if they wanted to sit outside their motorhome in the sun.

So they put the awning away and left Cornish Farm.

This morning they should be at Van Bitz, so we called to see where they were, and have been told that they'd argued with the campsite warden regarding which side they wanted their drive away awning so had no intention of using Van Bitz for their alarm or solar panel:Eeek:

It would be funny if we weren't so busy and have a waiting list for urgent works, where we could have helped other people. Even if they had had the decency to advise us yesterday lunchtime that they no longer wanted the works carried out we could have arranged something. Actually had they advised us that they were unhappy on the campsite, we could have parked them on Van Bitz pitches with water and hook up.

I wouldn't be happy to sit in the road because some one refused to move a drive away awning off my pitch:Angry:

Eddie

Last edited: May 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 29
  2. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Once bitten twice shy Eddie... I would ask for a deposit. In my business I now ask for payment in advance due to people not paying their invoices. Too small an amount to take to court but a loss for my small business.

Take a 5% or 10% deposit. Any genuine customer would understand.

The only "excuse" (and it isn't an excuse I just can't think of a better word) would be which side the habitation door sits - probably easily solved by driving in rather than reversing and not a major issue I would have thought. For a one night stay I wouldn't have bothered with the awning but hey ho.......

• Like Like x 10
  3. bryandh

bryandh Funster

Absolutely take a deposit, business is business. Name 'em and shame 'em HERE says I:Rofl1:

Consider 10% of estimated invoice value (with £50 minimum) is not unreasonable in business.

Regards, Bryan

• Like Like x 6
  4. movan

movan Funster Life Member

You are kind enough to offer discounts ..... not to be taken for an idiot.. which I know you are not.

Take a deposit ... at the end of the day you are in business ... giving a discount is one thing, losing money because of your kindness is another thing altogether.

• Like Like x 13
  5. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

That just shows you should take a deposit from everyone.

Its a pretty poor show letting you down like that.:Angry:

• Like Like x 12
  6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Eddie..

the same people, or like them, are those that slag off wardens and in particular CC wardens..

They are never in the wrong.. and all wardens are hitlers.. :Doh:

anyway.. I would go with the previous advice.. take a deposit.. you are not a charity.. at least not the last time I checked you web page.. :Wink:

• Like Like x 14
  7. Inthezone

Inthezone Read Only Funster

Having been there for work recently, theres no point in puting up a drive away if you know your van is in the workshop the next day, seems to me that they were looking for an excuse not to part with there money.

From my own perspective, lifes to short to worry where your going to site a tent:Rofl1:

Eddie and his team work hard to give good old fashioned service:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  8. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Eddie - to lighten the mood, is it possible to post your Rules for Cornish Farm?

My wife and I were in stitches when we read them.

They were so written by you:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 4
  9. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

NAME AND SHAME 'EM !!:Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:

• Like Like x 10
  10. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hello.
    You have given me superb advice on three matters for FREE,thus saving me upwards of £2250. PLEASE rethink your position,just the standing charges alone for your site/equipment,staff,must cost a pretty penny,so,DEPOSIT.
    We wish you every success for the future and when the "Technology" has caught up with the new Astra Footprint,will be down to take advantage of your company.Pay a DEPOSIT ? Gladly.
    Tea Bag

• Like Like x 9
  11. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

I would be inclined to ask for a deposit on the goods supplied to be fitted. to the tune of what you have or would have had to pay for said goods..

At the end of the day you are a business,,,, and stock bought in is dead money,,,, and no business in this day and age can work like that without some sort of back lash further down the line... just my opinion.. :Smile:

• Like Like x 7
  12. movan

movan Funster Life Member

:Sad:Am I having deja vu or didn't a similar thread to this appear once before?

If so, then it is proof that a deposit should be taken ..

• Like Like x 4
  13. Timetraveller

Timetraveller Funster

Deposit, YES. Name & shame them,YES, so I can avoid parking next to them:RollEyes:

• Like Like x 9
  14. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

crawler..

• Like Like x 8
  15. Tootles

Tootles Funster

We ALWAYS ask, when booking any work, if the trader/dealer/garage would like something 'up front', it's only common decency when you book work. Apart from the stated situation, other non planned upsets could happen, like losing the wife. :clap:
    *Funsters* or not, charge a deposit mate, then at least your covered. :thumb:

• Like Like x 7
  16. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Deposits and even full payment are the way forward. Don't judge everybody by your own standards.
    I've known people book three meets or 5 different campsites with only ever an intention of going to 1 and taking the place of others who can't then go.

Shame them i say...let's see if there's another side to the story so we can kick this thread off and have a proper scrap or rolling ruck :Cool:

• Like Like x 10
  17. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Once a week it happens here at least.

"Yes, that`s a good estimate , can i book it in next week" they say.

Then no sign of them, they don`t answer the phone:Angry:

I double book most days now , so i am at full speed if they all turn up or taking it easy if some don`t :thumb:

• Like Like x 5
  18. pandj

pandj Funster Life Member

Take a deposit, if you're booking to have work done that involves a cost to fitter/supplier I personally have no problem paying a deposit. I had a white goods shop once and it certainly opened my eyes to the awful way that people will use and abuse you even when you're trying to offer a good old fashioned service. Unfortunately it's a sign of the times.:Sad:
    Name and shame them too.

Paul

• Like Like x 9
  19. eddievanbitz

Van Bitz are always very busy, so taking deposits adds another layer of trouble. 99% of everything we sell is always in stock anyway.

Frankly I am glad in a way that they didn't show.

If they are that bloody unreasonable that they kick off because their drive away awning is on some one else's pitch (our pitches are all clearly marked so the layout is obvious) and they're that self centred that they don't see the need to cancel an appointment the following day, because they have thrown their toys out of their pram, I have to ask do I want them as Van Bitz customers? :swear:

I posted really to show that people are people, not all business's are bad and not all customers are angels :pray:

However, it is very very rare to be let down by a Funster :thumb:

• Like Like x 27
  20. eddievanbitz

I can't name and shame as I don't know their user names. The other problem is that Van Bitz actively support Motorhome FUN. If and when people ask for discount we politely refuse and then ask them if their members of Motorhome FUN

The either say "Yes" or "We're members of Facts" (to which we laugh) and either way advise them to join, pay a Tenner and get an exclusive 10% discount.

So thinking about it they may have been "Opportunist Funsters" :Rofl1:

Anyway on the bright side, there is always plenty to do, so the guys will get on with other stuff, which means by Friday afternoon we'll be cruising into the Bank Holiday Weekend :Cool:

Eddie

• Like Like x 6