Should there be corrosion on a brand new engine? (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Picked up a brand new motorhome today that had been in stock at the dealers for a few months, but I was surprised to find when I looked at the (Ford) engine that, instead of being shiny and immaculate as expected, it was liberally covered in what appears to be corrosion. It's a fine white dust that you can scrape off with your fingernail, but it's everywhere, and there are some brown corrosion stains as well coming from the bolts. Is this normal? I'm sure it's just cosmetic/surface "rust", but it doesn't look right.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Picked up a brand new motorhome today that had been in stock at the dealers for a few months, but I was surprised to find when I looked at the (Ford) engine that, instead of being shiny and immaculate as expected, it was liberally covered in what appears to be corrosion. It's a fine white dust that you can scrape off with your fingernail, but it's everywhere, and there are some brown corrosion stains as well coming from the bolts. Is this normal? I'm sure it's just cosmetic/surface "rust", but it doesn't look right.
Depends if the Chassis/cab, including engine, has been sat around in a compound for a while.
Question it from your dealer. Say your not happy, and hint that you think it might have been sitting around for a year or so.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Even if it can be cleaned off.
I think it should have been cleaned totaly before you took delivery.
Just ask them to clean it pn first service.
Cant see it being a major problem & dont let it spoil enjoying your new motorhome.

And congratulations

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
aluminium castings start to oxidise straight away, but this is accelerated if it gets wet, especially when hot

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Check your ford chassis number on the ford site you may be surprised I have knowledge of a 13 plate motorhome on a transit base manufactured in 2008 the tyres are same year

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Check your ford chassis number on the ford site you may be surprised I have knowledge of a 13 plate motorhome on a transit base manufactured in 2008 the tyres are same year

exactly..all depends on build date not registration. Brand new a movable feast when it comes to any sort of vehicles:cautious:

personally I always find out the build date before buying a van....

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
VIN plate gives the year of manufacture, My chausson was three years old when it was sold mostly sitting in a field in France waiting its turn to go through the line. Made in Turkey and shipped to France made up, and sold to UK and then a year later sold at a discount to the previous owner.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Even if you cleaned it it will return in no time. Just imagine how much water goes through the radiator when driving in wet weather.
As long as it holds its liquids it'll be fine

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you like it clean wash it off with alloy wheel cleaner (rinse well) then liberally douse alloy parts in WD40. Repeat the WD40 treatment annually and it will stay shiny indefinitely. Like my Fiat engine. I hate dirty engine bays.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Have a look at the acessible parts of your cab, even most plastics have a date on these days, so do various engine parts. They usually vary but do give a good idea of at least the year sometimes the quarter the vehicle was assembled in the factory. As many factories operate on a just in time basis with parts.

OP
OP
BobtheBass
Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Its a new Mk 8 Transit and the plastic bits are all stamped September/October 2014, so I guess that's when the base vehicle as a whole was put together, but the engine block/alternator/gearbox look like something out of an old boat! I'm sure they are absolutely fine and its only a surface thing, but on a new vehicle it looks a bit pants.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
VIN plate gives the year of manufacture, My chausson was three years old when it was sold mostly sitting in a field in France waiting its turn to go through the line. Made in Turkey and shipped to France made up, and sold to UK and then a year later sold at a discount to the previous owner.
Further to the posting I put here
The VIN number tells the build year, the Tenth letter is the date 2003 is a 3
2004 is a 4 then 2011 is B 2013 is C 2014 is E Etc etc

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I would query the state of the engine with the dealer, something doesn't seem right, our Peugeot based van has a Ford engine, and at just over two years old has no white oxidation on the engine and still looks new ( it has 18000 miles under its belt).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back