Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Never mind JJ

Milud... Objection... I would like to draw the prosecution's notice to the fact that Hymer 660s from 1987 had and still have a fibre glass, curved edged roof...

My client is upset that his knowledge is being questioned here... His wisdom in these matters has never ever been challenged before...

JJ :Cool:

Never mind JJ, what would I do if I could not tweak your tail.. but I must admit I was not aware of the fact.. so thank you for giving me your valid counsel on this matter.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
thank you for joining the debate

Hi all, my first post on here ::bigsmile: so here goes ....

I would recommend a product called Chineshine, developed for getting the water line and associated gunge that builds up on GRP boats white again.

Having used most of the 'named' products on my boat and RV I can and do completely advise to try Chineshine first, its very simple to apply, i used a 3" paint brush and small emulsion roller on my boat, apply it as you would wallpaper paste, about a meter SQ at a time, sit back for 10 minutes and watch it work....amazing stuff, then just hose off and apply a good quality wax.

It's not very often nowadays that we find anything that does what it says on the tin :RollEyes:.... well it's in a plastic bottle :thumb:

There are a few clips on youtube showing it at work, if you care to take a look.

Simon

Thank you for joining the debate, it is always nice to have someone that has a good bit of information take part in the more serious side of owning a motorhome or in this case an RV.. I have gone with what was recommended by some of the members for a simple reason it was on the shelf and I could not find the other makes mentioned. Questions were asked in the chandlery store and from various people they seemed also to recommend the product I purchased. The proof will be in the eating of the pudding, or in this case applying it and seeing what the end result is.

But hope you now having taken the plunge we will see you adding to your post total and get stuck in... the forum brings out a lot of people with the odd bit of advice or info.. do not feel excluded due tot he banter of the usual suspects.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Bob if you can find a polish marine to sort you out (they are used to exercises and water). I hear they work very cheap and actually work very hard as well.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
To get the surface up, you need to get it machine polished if possible - if not,use a good Chemical Cut such as Mirror Image.

After this, you only need to 'repolish' evey 6-8 weeks to keep the finish like new with a high resin polish. It will be alot easier after, and won't take you long!

Pain sealers are in simle terms a polish with teflon and silicone and waxes in them, which works by impregnating the top layer of paint, and offering a semi permanent 'sheild' over the paintwork. To say it will never need polishing is technically incorrect, as to keep the paint with a depth of shine, it will need repoliishing and reapplying as it isn't UV stable permanently - though it would onoy need doing yearly.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Thanks all for the response, Sue is visiting our son tomorrow and he lives just outside Brighton so she is going in to the Marina shop to see what is available ....

Will advise in due course.. but any others.. keep them coming

Bob

Hi Bob

We keep a number of Starbright products on the shelf which I use on my boat and my RV with complete success!

Simple :thumb:

Eddie

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Paintseal can be found at this link www.paintsealdirect.com

Have a look and see what you think. Sad person that I am, I discovered it by watching caravan/motorhome channels on info tv (sky channel). :Blush:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
so you are the one

Paintseal can be found at this link www.paintsealdirect.com

Have a look and see what you think. Sad person that I am, I discovered it by watching caravan/motorhome channels on info tv (sky channel). :Blush:

So you are the one that watched it.... I know there was someone out there..... sad.. oh boy sad... Ok watched it myself once.. I would have shot the camera man /woman and the presenter.. the boat show they did sank with out a trace... the caravan show was very half baked... could do with a professional community programe made, rather than a one man band.. I do not think it did a lot of favours to caravanning in general.. just my opinion:Sad: you watch they will now all come out of the wood work.

But thanks for the info.

Bob:thumb:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Personally I have tried all sorts of treatments both self applied and professional

My new car is a Merc and they make a massive thing of their StarGard paint protection system http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/con...rship/useful_info/keeping_your_car_clean.html

I wouldn't dream of paying hundreds of pounds for it, however they gave it to me FOC after screwing something up...Thank you very much!

However, It gets dirty, I still have to wash it! Hints of simply using a hose pipe and washing everything off, are unfounded to say the least!

There are a number of "sealants" and "glazes" that can be applied once the vehicle is washed and being naturally lazy I have tried all of them in the thought that it may save me work.

With our exhibition unit we have found that a good wash and a couple of coats of wax (any old one) works as well as anything.

Eddie

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
So you are the one that watched it.... I know there was someone out there..... sad.. oh boy sad... Ok watched it myself once.. I would have shot the camera man /woman and the presenter.. the boat show they did sank with out a trace... the caravan show was very half baked... could do with a professional community programe made, rather than a one man band.. I do not think it did a lot of favours to caravanning in general.. just my opinion:Sad: you watch they will now all come out of the wood work.

But thanks for the info.

Bob:thumb:

They have all changed hands now and are almost professional. There are two caravan/motorhome shows (Caravan Finder and Caravan Channel) and UK Boating is still on. Was it Chris Gosling that used to bore is before ?

Sorry, gone off thread. :sorry2:

OP
OP
slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes it was he that bored us

They have all changed hands now and are almost professional. There are two caravan/motorhome shows (Caravan Finder and Caravan Channel) and UK Boating is still on. Was it Chris Gosling that used to bore is before ?

Sorry, gone off thread. :sorry2:

Yes it was Chris Gosling that thought he was the presenter of the year.. very boring he was to.

Bob

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Marine Polish

On a fibreglass body should I use a marine GRP polish? if so what brand... and is there an equivalent to T cut for GRP to get the deep down road dirt off?

Bob

I am not sure which polish the Marines used, but in the Army we used black Kiwi polish.

You could see your face in those toecaps!:roflmto:

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Dirty Van,
Try 'Elbow Grease' ÂŁ1 at the Pound Shop, first time I seen it used by a Pro. Team cleaning Static Vans. In 20 mins they had a 34' van gleaming, waiting for the polish finish. Its 90% Lemon Juice, my Mrs uses it for everything, from floors to fine fabrics. Seen it used on a fawn carpet after the dreaded glass of Red Wine, 5 mins sponging, all stains gone.
I have been using it as a pre. cleaner on our vans for a long time, really is a brilliant bit of kit and a old fashioned remedy.
The best bit for a Yorkshire Man its ......A POUND.
Best Regards, Mac

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Old fashioned T Cut--It has ammonia in it (smells like cat pee)-- melts tar spots and all old nasties. :thumb:
Try to use a powered polisher, as this really gets it shining! :thumb:
Any wax applied usually comes off on the first washing if you put any detergent on it.
Posh waxes play havoc if you ever need any paintwork repairing on your M/H!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back