Should I, Shouldn't I Battery monitor (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Thanks for closing this Brakers.
What type of trailer do you tow all the batteries in ??
Ha ha yes Mich I know what you mean but with my Cheyenne 840 I have quite a good payload allowance, and seeing I'm a loner I don't have the irritation in my ear as I drive also the extra equipment that irritation needs to get ready over a 4 hour period, lol.
Best Wishes Tony

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I don't think anyone has mentioned this. The OP stated there was no battery in in the MH when he first had it. If this was the case and the solar panel was still connected the regulator would probably have burnt out so there would be no solar charge.
It is vital that you check, even just with a multimeter that the solar is in fact working. Otherwise you could kill your new batteries.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
If this was the case and the solar panel was still connected the regulator would probably have burnt out so there would be no solar charge.

Hi Reallyretired that might be a good point, can anyone else confirm that if the batteries are disconnected the regulator burns out if left connected to the solar panel.
I myself don't know but if that is the case then the regulator which is part of m ECU 325 won't be passing any currant to my batteries, not sure how this would damage my batteries, although I do understand that they will not be kept topped up by the solar panel.
Best Wishes Tony

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Just put a cheapo multimeter across the connectors on the regulator, it should be easy to pick out which are the leads that go to the battery. It shouldn't be showing 1, it should be showing a healthy input on the solar panel side, and 12 volt plus on the battery side.

I have had my panels disconnected from the battery for short periods, no problems.

Jan 19, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
I fitted a Victron to my Burstner 660; its excellent; I just love the peace of mind of knowing exactly whats going into and out of the batteries ! (I am an electrical / controls engineer though, so am a bit neardy ?)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Possibly did not quite convey what I meant. The controller burnt out would not actually damage the batteries but as it wouldn't charge them they could be damaged by being over-discharged.

The regulator will only be damaged if there is no battery connected and there is sun on the panel(s). Best to always disconnect the panels if the batteries are going to be disconnected, I have put a switch on mine for convenience but an in-line fuse holder from which the fuse can be easily removed is just as good.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Just put a cheapo multimeter across the connectors on the regulator, it should be easy to pick out which are the leads that go to the battery. It shouldn't be showing 1, it should be showing a healthy input on the solar panel side, and 12 volt plus on the battery side.
Hi Dorwyn I have a Sargent 235 ECU and don't know how to get the panel off without dismantling a lot. Perhaps someone who has one knows an easy way to get int it.
Best Wishes Tony

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Has anyone tried a 'Smartguage' for monitoring battery capacity? No shunt required as it doesn't measure current.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Yes, you remove the fuse, place it in the slot on the top of the circuit tester then plug the prongs into the ECU fuse slot. It then gives you a reading of how many amps are been drawn on the circuit. You can also get the standard size fuse tester for the base vehicles fusebox.
You have to use this little device with caution as the two prongs are thicker than blade fuses and pushing it home can stretch the fuse holders meaning there's insufficient contact when you put the fuse back.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
You have to use this little device with caution as the two prongs are thicker than blade fuses and pushing it home can stretch the fuse holders meaning there's insufficient contact when you put the fuse back.
Thanks for that, it will only be used if I have a problem which hopefully wont happen!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back