Should I keep the Old Girl or dig deep into my pocket? (1 Viewer)

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I have a 2004 Hymer Exsis and I love it. This year it needed £150 welding job to fix the rot underneath. It has done 142,000 happy miles and gives no clue that anything serious is about to go wrong.

So, is the rot a big deal or a predictable issue? If I eventually need to put a new engine or gearbox in - is it worth it?

Without wanting to influence your advice - please tell me to keep the Old Girl.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
That is a young van to be rotting,,I have a 2002 Peugeot and not a bit of rust anywhere,,,BUSBY,,,

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I would keep it. A £150 welding bill is insignificant when compared with the depreciation on a more recent model. Possibly another 15 years life in the vehicle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Well, our 1992 Hymer Camp 64, with about 180,000 miles on the clock, is still doing fine. (y) Couldnt have been much of a welding job for £150. Far better the devil you know, if you like and enjoy it.

hymertruck.jpg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
at that age, a few parts tend to rust. The front cross member/radiator support and sump pan are first to go but cheap to replace rather than mess about with. Then obvious weak points on the chassis followed by edges of panels on the cab. A little bit of welding is not the end of the world, however it would pay to be pre-emptive and go through the other weak points and repair/replace as needed. Then waxoyl the underside to stop any further rot. If the cab is getting scruffy, a few hours sorting and treating rust spots is a good investment. Maybe it would also benefit from a quick freshen up respray.
ultimately 13 years old is no age for a motorhome and it still holds a good value. It is worth protecting that investment and then keep it another few years

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Oh,no. Sell it,it's obviously no good and it's going to cost you an absolute fortune if you don't get rid of it now. Probably the engine will blow up soon,and the clutch is about to go. I can hear the gearbox wining from here.
And then you could get a nice new shiny one with lots of modern gadgets on it.
If you'd like me to come and take it away for you,just give me a call,and I'll up there with the cash,yes cash couple of grand ok?;);););););):D:D::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Nooooooooo don't let her go. She looks brilliant. Get another quote but in all fairness, £150.00 ain't bad.
Not seen you around and you're local ish to us.
We've the same model and I wouldn't be upset at repairs. We love ours too and getting rare now.
Screenshot_20170305-132338.png

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
What would you get that is better than the one you already have. If you did buy a new one you would find that it could be depreciating by £150 a month!

I'm on my second van and its exactly the same model as the first one (just newer) and having spent last year looking around, I can't better than what I've got.

Keep it!

OP
OP
bernardfeay

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
at that age, a few parts tend to rust. The front cross member/radiator support and sump pan are first to go but cheap to replace rather than mess about with. Then obvious weak points on the chassis followed by edges of panels on the cab. A little bit of welding is not the end of the world, however it would pay to be pre-emptive and go through the other weak points and repair/replace as needed. Then waxoyl the underside to stop any further rot. If the cab is getting scruffy, a few hours sorting and treating rust spots is a good investment. Maybe it would also benefit from a quick freshen up respray.
ultimately 13 years old is no age for a motorhome and it still holds a good value. It is worth protecting that investment and then keep it another few years
Thanks for the insight. I will be keeping your advice notes close when I need jobs done.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Keep it!
Better the devil you know!
These vans keep going forever and you'll never find the exact right van to replace it, you'll always regret getting rid of it!

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I recently made the decision to keep my 1995 Holdsworth Valentine rather than replacing her with something newer.

'Shirley' only has 45,000 miles on the clock but suffers with a few damp patches - but don't most old ladies? :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I paid £350 last year for welding on my old van which i sold to a friend,,Just passed MOT this month with no advisories and it is 1996 reg,,,If done properly it is good for a few years..Get welding done and then get it Waxoiled,,,BUSBY.

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Keep it. Mine is 35 years old and £150 is nothing to spend. To replace mine with similar would cost a relative fortune. Yours is like a starship compared to mine.

One big advantage of mine is her simplicity, the most advanced thing is the replacement DAB radio.

Replacing yours would cost much more than repairs and will pay for loads more time away. Enjoy

Clive

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have a 2004 Hymer Exsis and I love it. This year it needed £150 welding job to fix the rot underneath. It has done 142,000 happy miles and gives no clue that anything serious is about to go wrong.

So, is the rot a big deal or a predictable issue? If I eventually need to put a new engine or gearbox in - is it worth it?

I would keep the old girl Bernard, better the devil you know. Bit of corrosion is expected and easily rectified. If you were to see what a good welder can do with some of these old rusty VWs it might ease the decision for you. Have a good look around during the mot and look after the old girl there are years in her yet...(y)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time

Just reading your post again, are you sure you've got that right?
2004?
142,000 miles?
Anyway-keep it!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
KEEP HER, check underneath and put a load of rust inhibitor in the box sections and keep a look out. £150 is nothing for a weld repair in an awkward place under there.
What you would get for it is nothing compared to what a newer model would cost you.
The cost per mile only gets better the older it gets. Depreciation of a newish model is the killer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back