Should I have a Gaslow system fitted (1 Viewer)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Techno... probably a dumb question when you tell me.... but why do you need both Gaslo and Calor?
No it's not. It is a very old picture on a van I no longer have. It was the first upgrade I did and the thinking was that the Calorlite was an emergency bottle only. I eventually changed to twin Gaslow. There is no need to do it all at once especially if on a budget.
I eventually replaced that POL hand wheel hose too.
Broken Link Removed

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
I decided on gas it refillable based on ease and convenience of use . I have just looked at prices for calor exchange prices and I am convinced that I have made a good financial decision as well .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Before fitting my Gasit I thought they would be nice. Since having them it's gone from nice to essential, would never have anything else but refillable gas bottles\tank now.
Anyone want some Calor bottles ;)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We have only used Gaslow........... convenient..........cheap to top up............. never run out at an 'inconvenient moment' (y)

We even have the 'auto changeover' valve which a lot of people denigrate but it sure beats the inconvenience of running out of gas on the first bottle at a bad time :rolleyes:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes the auto changeover is excellent and usually only let down by user error, like not having both bottle valves OPEN etc :LOL:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Auto changeover = run out of gas...

...unless you keep watching you bottle levels.

I have auto change over but no longer use it.

When a bottle runs out, I change over manually and know to fill up at the next opportunity.

JJ :cool:
With a Duo C the you have an indicator LED that changes from green to red when the valve changes to the reserve bottle.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Likewise the auto changeover head changes green to red when it has changed. No point having one if the instructions are not read and with or without you still need to check your gas.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have to get out of the van, unlock the door and open it and then look to see if the auto changer over has operated or not.

Guess what?

I don't always remember to do this, hence the one time I ran out. The switch over had taken place and stupid me didn't realise.

It only happened once.

I use the system manually now. I know when a bottle runs out 'cos my kettle doesn't boil! Time to change over to the second bottle.

Quite often, if I feel the urge, I top up before the first bottle runs out...

JJ :cool:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Try doing that at 03:00 in the morning when it's minus 3 c outside and snowing!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Auto changeover valve.. ?

I'm in JJ's camp ...
:)

but just on this topic.. I don't eat FB pies..
:LOL:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Likewise the auto changeover head changes green to red when it has changed. No point having one if the instructions are not read and with or without you still need to check your gas.
You can't see that inside, the the Duo C is a remote indicator and you can turn on the regulator heater if fitted.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Well until DavidG58 enters the discussion..........

I have the auto hangover valve....... it takes very little effort to keep an eye on the Gas levels so I have a good idea when the 1st bottle is about to run out.

The real advantage is that I do not have to worry about the gas running out over night, in the middle of cooking, whilst we are out during the day in winter, or ........... running out in the middle of a very cold wet and windy night!!

No matter how cold or late, the valve does just the work for me..... I stay warm and cozy :D

Of course, if you're a softie in a warm country.......:rolleyes:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I worked in the petrol-chemical refining industry for some years both with Amoco and Shell and didn't know or heard of oil being added to Autogas .. stench yes, but not oil.

happy to be educated.. :)
Don't think oil is actually added it's the quality of the gas has more oily residue in it and soots up burners.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Don't think oil is actually added it's the quality of the gas has more oily residue in it and soots up burners.

yes.. the quality of LPG can vary between refineries

also, there no such thing as 100% 'pure' propane or butane.. or any other gas for that matter, except for medical gasses.. and other scientific gasses.. then the costs skyrocket..

the purer it is.. the more it costs to refine. ... as you said, for road vehicles Autogas doesn't need to be 'clean'.. but it is just propane.. same as you get in a bottle..

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hello ScubaSteve. As you can see, the answer is DO IT !! You will never regret it and it can also be removed and fitted to you "next" van if you ever change !!
It takes only 1 hour to fit it yourself with basic DIY skills. You have to drill a 70mm hole some where in the van for the refill point.. I put mine in the skirt under the gas locker,
(make sure you get a long enough fill hose to reach the bottle/s.) I just fitted one bottle..
I got a "Gas-it"kit. Ordered one day, arrived on the doorstep next day, free postage..
Good luck..
Mich..

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I worked in the petrol-chemical refining industry for some years both with Amoco and Shell and didn't know or heard of oil being added to Autogas .. stench yes, but not oil.

happy to be educated.. :)
I don't think that oil is added. More likely that 'low ends' are more prevalent from some suppliers. Low ends are remaining condensate from the refining process and resemble stinky, greasy, oil. It should remain in the bottle/tank as the LPG boils off but inevitably some gets carried over - probably as a result of LPG swilling about due to vehicle movement.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Now I am worried on a few counts

@chockswahay clearly remembers something I have mentioned in my past ramblings, trouble is I have very little recollection of anything past

second worry must relate to my increasing length of service on here, I am in complete agreement with JJ, the only difference between us is he has the changeover system

as for refillables and for that matter anything costing several £100's I am firmly of the opinion that once folk have spent that kind of money they will always sing its praises, justifying it on money saved etc. but payback is pretty slow in reality, I reckon I spend about £100 / year on Calor bottles so even if pump gas is half the price it is going to take a few years to recover the spend, unless you intend to keep the same MH it is marginal on price alone, even accepting it can be moved, that is hassle some of us don't want / need

the real advantage of refillables is extended continental travel, but even then we have done 28 days abroad in October and not run out of Calor (1 x 13kg 1 x 6kg)

my biggest frustration is that my controller has a display option for gas bottle level, but it was never fitted with the fittings from new, not sure what would be needed now to make it work, will hopefully track down @Techno100 at Chester and see what he thinks

so to summarise, I am in the no to refillable camp quite probably on my own, but may well change now we are retired and hope to be abroad more often (y)

M

Madwife

Deleted User
We had gaslow fitted by Eddie Vanbitz and can highly recommend the system.

Agree with the additives in European gas as since filling up here in Portugal we have noticed soot on the gas burners (hob) plus Howie had to strip down the burner on the fridge/freezer as it wouldn't work due to some soot in the burner - working fine now.

Kath

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I can't help you with this gas level system I know nothing about it sorry.
One thing you haven't considered especially as you get older is many people struggle humping full gas bottles into lockers and even disconnecting/reconnecting hoses.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back