Should I have a Gaslow system fitted (1 Viewer)

Scuba Steve

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Hello everyone,q I'm looking for some advise on if I should have a GasFlo system fitted?
We do allot of wild camping and whilst I have a solar panel fitted to make sure I have plenty of power, I do find myself using allot of gas and at this time of year I can get through 6kg within 48 hours, I no that's allot but I have a alde wet heating system fitted and although I'm very happy with the heat it gives out it does take a while to heat up and get our motorhome warmed up, I therefore tend to leave the heating on low whilst we are out.
My main problem is the expense of filling up the 6kg each time I go away for a weekend and at somewhere around £22-£25 per cylinder it sometimes defeats the cost saving I'm making by wild camping.
I was therefore thinking of fitting a GasFlow system to reduce my refill costs?
If anyone has any advise I would be very pleased to hear it

Cheers Steve

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
We have had gas low cylinders in our last 3 motorhomes, great bits of kit, means you can top up anytime. We spend several months a year overseas so can fill up easily at fuel stops selling LPG. And much cheaper, last refill was just under 60p a litre.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I've had 2-11kg Gaslow bottles fitted on my last 2 vans, our new van came with under slung tank which releases a gas bottle cupboard for extra storage. The gas low systems I fitted myself quite easily, there is also the Gasit system which is identical to Gaslow but painted red and is cheaper to buy.

John.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We will definitely have it fitted in our next MH. It will save you lots of money in the long run. Go for it.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We have an Alugas bottle ( same thing but alloy bottle) which we have had on our last 3 vans.
Refillables are the way to go.

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
Totally agree, the Gas it system is the same as Gas lo and very easy to fit yourself

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
My main problem is the expense of filling up the 6kg each time I go away for a weekend and at somewhere around £22-£25 per cylinder it sometimes defeats the cost saving I'm making by wild camping. I was therefore thinking of fitting a GasFlow system to reduce my refill costs?

We have Gas low with 2 x 11kg bottles. The last time I filled it was at a petrol station on the A14 so not the cheapest around, 65 or 66p per litre I think. One bottle was empty and one was below 1/4 full according to the gauges. It cost £18.50 to fill them both. You will definitely save on refill costs.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Steve, just ordered a Gasit "dual Gasit Plus bottles" 11kg system, with Euro adapters, 3 meter fill hose for locker fill on the other side of MH. £100 less than Gasflo. Other advantage is Gasit does not have a number 1 and 2 bottle they are both the same. Gasit give 5% to Fun members. Ask for Warren

LOCAL RATE 0845 230 1819 or 01286 832443

No financial connection, just spent a week checking out after Techno's advice!

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm interested in the Gas IT system. Has anyone fitted one of these to an AS Symbol (2004). Wondering what size tank and whether the welded on feet or strap system are best for this vehicle.

Brian

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Love the system! No fitting awkward bottles, see autogas and top up rather than wait for a bottle to run out. I reckoned I'd only need to refill 16 times with the associated cheaper gas to recover the cost of fitting the Gasit system. Oh yes, it only took about an hour to fit it - and that's by a DIY numpty like me!

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
The only fly in the ointment that I can see is the availabillty of LPG from BP stations, if the rumours are true they are removing LPG from all their stations,
Just means travelling a bit further for a fill up for me, but I wouldn't be without the gas low system after the hassles of lugging colour gas
About on my caravan years ago,

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We had Gas low 2 x 11KG fitted by Dave Newell with the Funster discount and as others have said wouldn't be without it now, cheaper to refill but so easy to fill here and abroad. (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With your usage you will recover your cost very quickly but it's more about convenience than cost, as others have said Gas-it is cheaper & just as good (bottles made in the same factory).
Easy to fit for a competent DIY'er.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The only fly in the ointment that I can see is the availabillty of LPG from BP stations, if the rumours are true they are removing LPG from all their stations,
Just means travelling a bit further for a fill up for me, but I wouldn't be without the gas low system after the hassles of lugging colour gas
About on my caravan years ago,
I saw that on another forum, a bit of a pain as my nearest LPG station is a BP. A good percentage of lager Shell garages have LPG pumps one of those a couple of miles further not too bad.
Must rember if going to France via Dover to fill up first, as I usually fill up at a BP in Dover as I prefer UK gas, cleaner & 100% propane.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I don't bother where i fill up. Is there any evidence that french gas is different to uk?
Tends to have a higher butane content, particularly in summer (and perhaps when further south). This can make the gas less useful if you have a load left when returning to the UK in winter as butane does not vaporise well at low temperature.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I don't bother where i fill up. Is there any evidence that french gas is different to uk?
Met a couple of people on my travels after using French gas have had to clean fridge flue & burner, also My Belgium dealer warned about filling up on French gas. Take a look at this thread a few of the guys in Morocco had problems with fridges not cools all sooted up after filling with Spanish & Moroccan LPG.
Some suppliers put more oil in the gas doesn't matter for auto use with a liquid take off, also doesn't appear to bother heaters (probably due to high throughput), but fridges, jets clog, burners & chimneys soot up.
My last van I service the fridge after 3 years of running on UK Autogas, it didn't need doing everything was clean.
Dometic on the 7000 fridges said not to run on Autogas (every one still did), on the 8000 series they say if running on Autogas should be service every 3 or 6 months.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
GasIt and Gaslow are both very good systems. However, the systems are not the same!

That is NOT to say that one is better than the other, but for the sake of clarity and members that take everything they read as "read"

As I understand it, Gaslow recommend stainless steel hoses which have a 20 year life span and Gas It use rubber which should be changed every 5 years. Gas It and the old Gaslow bottles were the same but the NewR67 bottles are not the same as either the old Gaslow or GasIt bottles. R67 bottles have internal Excess flow valves which prevents a full flow of gas should a hose rupture.

So both excellent systems, but to say that they are identical is wrong

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Some suppliers put more oil in the gas

I worked in the petrol-chemical refining industry for some years both with Amoco and Shell and didn't know or heard of oil being added to Autogas .. stench yes, but not oil.

happy to be educated.. :)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
When people say that Gaslow & Gasit are identical they refer to the original bottle system and yes one is yellow and one is red but otherwise yes they are and from the same factory. Gaslow do sell a larger product range yes. Choice of hoses is simply a matter of how much money you have but I have had a brand new out of the bag Gaslow stainless hose leak on the weld but they do look pretty
Broken Link Removed
gaslow1-XL.jpg

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The point I was making is that the hose would have to be five times cheaper to be, well cheaper lol

I did stress that I wasn't saying which one was better, but, everytime Gaslow is mentioned, people say that the systems are identical and one is half the price whcih isnt the situation

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The point I was making is that the hose would have to be five times cheaper to be, well cheaper lol

I did stress that I wasn't saying which one was better, but, everytime Gaslow is mentioned, people say that the systems are identical and one is half the price whcih isnt the situation
Yes I understand Eddie and often the price difference can be negligible depending on where you buy.

celcat

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Techno... probably a dumb question when you tell me.... but why do you need both Gaslo and Calor?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back