Should I have a Gaslow system fitted

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Scuba Steve, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve

Hello everyone,q I'm looking for some advise on if I should have a GasFlo system fitted?
    We do allot of wild camping and whilst I have a solar panel fitted to make sure I have plenty of power, I do find myself using allot of gas and at this time of year I can get through 6kg within 48 hours, I no that's allot but I have a alde wet heating system fitted and although I'm very happy with the heat it gives out it does take a while to heat up and get our motorhome warmed up, I therefore tend to leave the heating on low whilst we are out.
    My main problem is the expense of filling up the 6kg each time I go away for a weekend and at somewhere around £22-£25 per cylinder it sometimes defeats the cost saving I'm making by wild camping.
    I was therefore thinking of fitting a GasFlow system to reduce my refill costs?
    If anyone has any advise I would be very pleased to hear it

Cheers Steve

2. Nethernut

Nethernut Read Only Funster

We have had gas low cylinders in our last 3 motorhomes, great bits of kit, means you can top up anytime. We spend several months a year overseas so can fill up easily at fuel stops selling LPG. And much cheaper, last refill was just under 60p a litre.

3. Neckender

Neckender Funster

I've had 2-11kg Gaslow bottles fitted on my last 2 vans, our new van came with under slung tank which releases a gas bottle cupboard for extra storage. The gas low systems I fitted myself quite easily, there is also the Gasit system which is identical to Gaslow but painted red and is cheaper to buy.

John.

4. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

We will definitely have it fitted in our next MH. It will save you lots of money in the long run. Go for it.

5. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

We have an Alugas bottle ( same thing but alloy bottle) which we have had on our last 3 vans.
    Refillables are the way to go.

• Like Like x 1
  6. markh

markh

Totally agree, the Gas it system is the same as Gas lo and very easy to fit yourself

7. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

We have Gas low with 2 x 11kg bottles. The last time I filled it was at a petrol station on the A14 so not the cheapest around, 65 or 66p per litre I think. One bottle was empty and one was below 1/4 full according to the gauges. It cost £18.50 to fill them both. You will definitely save on refill costs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

Steve, just ordered a Gasit "dual Gasit Plus bottles" 11kg system, with Euro adapters, 3 meter fill hose for locker fill on the other side of MH. £100 less than Gasflo. Other advantage is Gasit does not have a number 1 and 2 bottle they are both the same. Gasit give 5% to Fun members. Ask for Warren

LOCAL RATE 0845 230 1819 or 01286 832443

No financial connection, just spent a week checking out after Techno's advice!

• Like Like x 5
  9. Brian_K

Brian_K Read Only Funster

I'm interested in the Gas IT system. Has anyone fitted one of these to an AS Symbol (2004). Wondering what size tank and whether the welded on feet or strap system are best for this vehicle.

Brian

10. DiggerJon

DiggerJon Funster

Love the system! No fitting awkward bottles, see autogas and top up rather than wait for a bottle to run out. I reckoned I'd only need to refill 16 times with the associated cheaper gas to recover the cost of fitting the Gasit system. Oh yes, it only took about an hour to fit it - and that's by a DIY numpty like me!

11. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

I fitted Gasit system. 1 x 11 kg and 1 x 7 kg in our last 2 vans. If you travel in Europe its a must. Easy to fit as well.
    Phil

12. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

The only fly in the ointment that I can see is the availabillty of LPG from BP stations, if the rumours are true they are removing LPG from all their stations,
    Just means travelling a bit further for a fill up for me, but I wouldn't be without the gas low system after the hassles of lugging colour gas
    About on my caravan years ago,

13. StanandShirley

StanandShirley Funster

Yes go for it saves a lot of awkward lifting in and out, we have the Gasit system found no problem finding LPG

• Like Like x 1
  14. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

We had Gas low 2 x 11KG fitted by Dave Newell with the Funster discount and as others have said wouldn't be without it now, cheaper to refill but so easy to fill here and abroad. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

With your usage you will recover your cost very quickly but it's more about convenience than cost, as others have said Gas-it is cheaper & just as good (bottles made in the same factory).
    Easy to fit for a competent DIY'er.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

I saw that on another forum, a bit of a pain as my nearest LPG station is a BP. A good percentage of lager Shell garages have LPG pumps one of those a couple of miles further not too bad.
    Must rember if going to France via Dover to fill up first, as I usually fill up at a BP in Dover as I prefer UK gas, cleaner & 100% propane.

17. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I don't bother where i fill up. Is there any evidence that french gas is different to uk?

18. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Tends to have a higher butane content, particularly in summer (and perhaps when further south). This can make the gas less useful if you have a load left when returning to the UK in winter as butane does not vaporise well at low temperature.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Met a couple of people on my travels after using French gas have had to clean fridge flue & burner, also My Belgium dealer warned about filling up on French gas. Take a look at this thread a few of the guys in Morocco had problems with fridges not cools all sooted up after filling with Spanish & Moroccan LPG.
    Some suppliers put more oil in the gas doesn't matter for auto use with a liquid take off, also doesn't appear to bother heaters (probably due to high throughput), but fridges, jets clog, burners & chimneys soot up.
    My last van I service the fridge after 3 years of running on UK Autogas, it didn't need doing everything was clean.
    Dometic on the 7000 fridges said not to run on Autogas (every one still did), on the 8000 series they say if running on Autogas should be service every 3 or 6 months.

• Like Like x 1
  20. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Is there a reason BP are removing the lpg from service stations ?