Should I fit an alarm

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Dawn B, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

The MH is now stored on axle stands for the winter in our drive. So I guess can be considered safe.

Only intend touring the UK at present, so should we be 'ALARMED'

2. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

I suppose its up to each individual to make that choice as theft can happen anywhere at anytime, we only tour UK and do not have an alarm fitted.

3. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Only you can answer that question! It depends on whether your insurance is affected (or discounted if an approved alarm is fitted), whether you are of a naturally confident or nervous disposition, whether you routinely carry items of significant value, etc., etc.
    Then of course, there is always the consideration that if your van is the only one at a stop that is not fitted with an obvious alarm, it might seem the easiest option for 'Burglar Bill' to have a go at.
    If you decide to get one, get a good one (VanBitz Strike-Back comes to mind) a 'so-so' alarm is almost worthless in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

personally my answer would be YES

Try Vanbitz. They do a good strikeback alarm and tracker at a reasonable price with no month fees.

We think its brilliant.

Our motorhome is going down for it to be upgraded as it wasnt originally fitted by EddieVanbitz (funster) and we have just found out our spare wheel housing was not covered by the alarm when we thought it was.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

absolutely yes you should alarm your motorhome. you get an insurance discount for some alarms

6. Phill D

Phill D

your van got to cost you £25K - £30k + off a forecourt. can you afford :-

a. too loose that?
    b. want to haggle with the insurance over the value?

removing it in a hurry off your stands is relatively easy if someone decides they want it :Eeek:

not trying to scare monger its your money , your choice,ours is on our drive when we are not away and hooked up and the alarm is always on.
    we dont want to wait 3 - 6 months for an insurance company to settle if its nicked :Eeek: well it wont get nicked, not for long anyway as its fitted with Strikeback and a tracker:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

I believe that vehicle owners should be entitled to fit a vertical spike with barbs, into the drivers seat, operated by a small electrical motor,.

If the vehicle is stolen, the owner dials a dedicated phone number and the spike is "fired" vertically into the rear end of the driver,

That will sort out the theiving B******s.

• Like Like x 13
  8. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

If I could fit one of those I'd lend my MH out to some not so good friends
    :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Cyclewalkbob

Cyclewalkbob Funster

My view is that if you had a Bently or a Porche, would you hesitate to buy an alarm?
    Add in the fact that you have all your holiday belongings in the van then it is a no Brainer!

Get one that you can alarm the outside whilst you can still walk around inside.

I can recommend Eddie Vanbiz and his alarms

Cheers

Bob

• Like Like x 1
  10. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Have you got a swivel "Captains Chair" on your drivers side?
    Knew a bloke that welded a Catch and Hasp to his, he turned the seat to the rear then Padlocked it.
    The Scroats could overcome the alarm, the Immobaliser, the steering lock. No way could they drive standing up!

• Like Like x 6
  11. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

At the end of the day the choice is yours, but I think no matter how well you think think you have your vehicle secured there is always some scooter who will nick it.
    Some friends of ours live in a quiet road with their caravan on their driveway. The van had a wheel clamp, Hitchcock and alarm fitted and it still got nicked.

12. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

if you have a wireless alarm in the house that you set at night, you could always put a wireless movement sensor in the van too if its on the driveway. a local dealer does this with every van on his forecourt:thumb: if the alarm goes off it notifies him at home and switches on the floodlights so the camera system gets a better shot. not too expensive to set up either:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  13. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

That's a bloody good idea, never thought of that myself.

14. busby

busby Funster

If your van is on the drive try a baby alarm, you would be able to hear anyone breaking in. BUSBY:BigGrin:

15. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I haven't bothered with an alarm on the basis that if an alarm goes off who ever pays any attention these days.

I have spent my money on making it extremely hard for them to get in, start it or get away with anything value.

These are just a few of the things I have done.
    Deadlocks on all doors.
    Safe in the van for valuables.
    Battery Key. (big honking switch with removable key)
    Imobiliser

I will be fitting a tracker next. I won't bother with an alarm as they serve no purpose in my situation.

16. Jim

Jim Ringleader

All that protection, coupled with the fact that you are in your van a lot means the likelihood of theft is very low. But you're right, still a good idea to get a tracker, full timers more than anyone would appreciate the swift return of a stolen motorhome

• Like Like x 1
  17. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

What value do you put on your motorhome ??
    Simple if not a lot then no
    If it's a price worth paying for being tight then No

I would not only have an alarm I have GPS tracker fitted
    Overkill? I don't think so

• Like Like x 1
  18. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

I hope all this talk of getting knicked I hope my pride and joy remains safe till I return it would be awful is mine got taken :cry:

19. MuddyPuddle

MuddyPuddle Funster

Hi Dawn
    Being on the drive or on axle stands will not deter a professional tea leaf:Sad:

If your MH and contents are as precious to you as I think I'd strongly suggest you consider getting an alarm fitted - Having had an almost new caravan(sorry for the language) nicked a few years back I can say from experience it's something to avoid if at all possible. I'm a newbie to the MH world but after getting a Strikeback alarm fitted this week by VanBitz can highly recommend them...... see my 'alarming' post...... and will sleep a lot easier now knowing Ruby is well protected:Smile:
    Dave

20. Branston1080

Branston1080 Funster

Hi Dawn

I've recently had a strikeback fitted by Vanbitz ( it's true they are as great as everyone says they are!). I agree it's personal choice, for me the alarm makes me feel safer at night knowing that I'm more protected in the van when I sleep.
    I work away and stay in the van ( on a campsite) and as a lone female it's that added peace of mind.
    Worth every penny!

:thumb: