Should I / Can I fit a Fiamme cyle rack

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by colyboy, Oct 8, 2015.

1. colyboy

colyboy Funster

We have a Hobby Siesta Exl T 650 FLC

We have a hobby bike rack fitted to our van . But as we are now owners of two electric bikes I am finding them quite heavy to lift them on to the rack. I have just come across a Fiamme Carry- Bike Lift 77 which I think will be ideal.

Question, Wife is worried that back of the van will be not strong enough to take the rack, or are there special places as to where it has to be fitted. Or is the Hobby ok to fit any rack?

I know that if I take off the Hobby rack there will be holes, but I know these can be capped or filled with silicone.

colyboy

2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Why not leave the Hobby rack on and use a tow bar mounted Thule type instead, lower to the ground too
    even if you dont have a tow bar, fitting one may add value to your Motor Home rather than spoiling it by removing the manf system leaving holes
    G

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  3. RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC Funster

4. musson

musson Funster

Hi i use electric bike and put them on the fiamma rack I remove the batteries,however they are getting a bit heavy for me I will use the towbar mounted one I have when not towing

5. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Now back in Sarfend for a couple of months.
    I saw this set up a couple of years ago. The couple used it for electric bikes. It looked like a DIY job but it worked very well. DSCN3409a.JPG DSCN3410a.JPG

6. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

You need to be a bit careful.

We had a Fiamma rack on our last van and loaded it with 4 bikes.

Halfway across Spain I noticed that the rack was coming away from the van. I had to take the bikes off and squeeze them into the van.

It turns out the brackets on the inside of the van were not substantial enough.

I think the damage was done going up and down the ferry ramp. The bikes were bouncing up and down which I guess puts a huge strain on the rack and brackets.

I wouldn't have another.

7. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

I have just fitted a tow bar to our PVC for the exact same reason, our Fiamma mounted rack only has a max weight limit of 35kg and lifting them up so high was a pain - Dont know what the fitting types would be to your van for a tow bar fit but for ours it was really easy (still find it hard to believe that i was quoted over £500 to have one supplied and fitted) when all it cost me was £119 with electrics too - all the holes are already in the van, it was just a case of bolting A to B and then bolt to C - Very simple, in fact the mind boggles as to why people would pay someone else £400 for fitting - plus you have many more options with a tow ball of different carriers etc

8. GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

We are having a tow bar fitted to our MH we collect next week instead of a bike rack.

We already have a towbar carrier from Halfords that takes 4 bikes and is excellent. Note.... although the Thule ones are good quality they are notoriously difficult for racks being too close together for chunky adult bikes. Hubby is a mountain biker and their club recommend the Halfords ones as you can actually fit 4 adult mountain bikes on it - you can't on the equivalent Thule without risk of scratching.

9. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

I have a tow bar fitted bike rack which can take two bikes ,it is easy to put on and take off its a thule model and can fold down a bit to get access to the spare wheel even with the bikes on ,its solid as a rock when loaded and I can recommend it. I have also seen a van at a show which had a fitted bike rack which the van owner had not secured the bikes properly and it looked like somebody had attacked the van with a ball pein hammer from the constant bashing of the handlebars against the rear of the van what a shame:( so be warned,

10. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

To be honest we dont recommend the lift up bike rack especially for heavier electric bikes

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  11. Landyguy

Landyguy Funster Life Member

I went for the tow bar and bike rack option as not trusting the back panel of the motorhome -
    One other benefit if you make sure you have a full width towbar it will also give minor protection to the rear and corners of your motorhome in case of mishaps.
    Prevention is better than cure.

12. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

@Toxic Clown Can you still open your rear doors with the bike rack in place or do you have to take the bikes off?

13. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

Haven't got a cycle carrier yet - well thats not perfectly true, i have an old "HOLLYWOOD" 4 Cycle carrier which we had about 15 yrs ago which mounted to our tow bar and all you do with that is pull a clip/pin out and the whole carrier folds down, so if i fitted this to our PVC yes i could fold it down and the rear doors would be able to open fully, with the new type of carriers (what i am looking for at the moment) like the Thule ones they only fold down so far and wouldn't allow the rear doors to open on a PVC

14. Ninovan

Ninovan Funster

Does anybody know if the Atera Strada rack can be used on an AutoTrail with the spare wheel mounted on the back.? We've got a detachable swan neck towbar & I was wondering if the vertical bike securing frame (?) might be too close to the spare wheel cover. Seems to be a problem with a lot of them :(

15. Ninovan

Ninovan Funster

Anybody? :unsure: